I Bet PZ Is Happy Now

Razors Edge

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’m referring to the 5 or so years before that.

The article saved me any effort:

On the road, he joined Axel Merckx's Trek-Livestrong development team in 2009 and immediately made an impression, winning the U23 Paris-Roubaix in both 2009 and 2010. He jumped to the WorldTour in 2011 with BMC Racing and established himself as a top time triallist, winning the prologue at the 2012 Giro d'Italia and wearing the pink leader's jersey for three days.

Phinney took 10 wins for BMC from 2011 to 2014, including the 2014 US time trial title.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

The article saved me any effort:

On the road, he joined Axel Merckx's Trek-Livestrong development team in 2009 and immediately made an impression, winning the U23 Paris-Roubaix in both 2009 and 2010. He jumped to the WorldTour in 2011 with BMC Racing and established himself as a top time triallist, winning the prologue at the 2012 Giro d'Italia and wearing the pink leader's jersey for three days.

Phinney took 10 wins for BMC from 2011 to 2014, including the 2014 US time trial title.

I’m sorry that I had higher expectations for his road racing results after his U23 success.

34 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’m sorry that I had higher expectations for his road racing results after his U23 success.

Yeah but the only expectations he needs to meet are his own.  We really don’t know what is going on with him physically, emotionally & mentally.

I wish him well in his next adventure.

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah but the only expectations he needs to meet are his own.  We really don’t know what is going on with him physically, emotionally & mentally.

I sort of think that the future for a lot of these US pros will be the gravel and endurance scene. With some fun events growing in popularity and visibility (potential for sponsors), TP can likely stay in cycling as a former pro in the Ted King fashion.

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Well, sure he doesn’t care what I think of his results, but that’s not really true that only his expectations are important. He’s a pro athlete. Fans and management get to have their opinions, too.

33 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Well, sure he doesn’t care what I think of his results, but that’s not really true that only his expectations are important. He’s a pro athlete. Fans and management get to have their opinions, too.

And opinions are like....

True though he did have obligations to his team & sponsors that probably fell short.

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Of course. But pro athletes are subject to criticism of their performance. It’s part of the business. 

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

No doubt but he isn’t beholden to anyone’s expectations but his own and to those who pay him.  I had hoped he would have had more success as well but am happy he is happy.

I think it interesting though the expectations we place on others. Fans on our favorite athletes, parents on their kids., especially towards athletics.  Having a talented athlete son who walked away from a sport he was still ascending in, it makes me realize we can’t want it for them and at the end of the day can only wish for their happiness.

12 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I blame Phil/Paul/Bob for featuring him endlessly for so long, which then only naturally, after a while, has me scratching my head and looking for the results.

Valid point. The thing about TP is he is very personable & funny. I can see the emphasis from the network guys on him and yeah he was featured a lot.