Where should I go where it’s warm...

Prophet Zacharia

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

This February? I’ll only have 6 vacation days to spend on the trip, so I am ruling Hawaii out. Air service via Southwest Airlines mandatory. 

California is #2 after Hawaii.  If you can't do Hawaii, California is better than the next 48 other options. 

Or, outside the US, the Caribbean is always pleasant. Heck, the US VI and PR are still technically the US, so those are easy too.

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

California is #2 after Hawaii.  If you can't do Hawaii, California is better than the next 48 other options. 

Or, outside the US, the Caribbean is always pleasant. Heck, the US VI and PR are still technically the US, so those are easy too.

Been to Aruba, I’d go back. Grand Cayman, as well. Belize is an option. Turks and Caicos may be, depending on my travel days. 

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

Have you been? Any specific recommendations?

Yes, we stayed in a tent in the jungle, it was amazing.  It was an old army tent, so large.  It had a real bathroom attached to the back.  It's very hot and humid all of the time, and staying in the jungle gives you no relief, also, no wifi.

The excursions were so much fun.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Have you been? Any specific recommendations?

I have.  Tons of fun and an adventure driving those roads :)

But, for you, the whole Caribbean is packed with sailing opportunities.  I'd think - after Hawaii and CA - that sailing the beautiful waters of the Caribbean would be calling you.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Yes, we stayed in a tent in the jungle, it was amazing.  It was an old army tent, so large.  It had a real bathroom attached to the back.  It's very hot and humid all of the time, and staying in the jungle gives you no relief, also, no wifi.

The excursions were so much fun.

We did something similar on St. John. I guess I could do Southwest to PR, and then another airline to St. Thomas and then get a ferry, although that’s two days gone with travel. So the direct flight to CR would be nice.

8 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

We did something similar on St. John. I guess I could do Southwest to PR, and then another airline to St. Thomas and then get a ferry, although that’s two days gone with travel. So the direct flight to CR would be nice.

We flew into San Jose, drove up to Arenal (a volcano!) and spent some time there. Nice hot springs.  Headed up to Guancanaste for more jungle and geothermal fun.  Over to the Papagayo peninsula for some time on the Pacific side of CR, and then down the coast to the Nicoya area for more outdoor adventures.

Pretty fun, relatively easy to navigate, horrible side roads (4x4 was key), and lots of outdoor beauty.  Never made it to the southeast beaches near Limon.

IMG_4849.thumb.JPG.c54728f2a1c61a9f0403e81272789aa1.JPG

and something @jsharr could appreciate:

IMG_4725.thumb.JPG.03180b36777b99259798211d357f7187.JPG

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Crap, I just read the 2020 Giro starts in Budapest. Now I want to follow the Giro for a week.

Dude, that's not until next May and way past Feb.  Budapest is a bit of a drive to get to Italy where the cyclists will likely fly.  I really liked Hungary - Budapest was sort of Vienna stuck in time - but the language was brutal. Luckily, my FiL is fluent in Hungarian, but when we weren't with him, it was a challenge. Hopefully better nowadays.

54 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We flew into San Jose, drove up to Arenal (a volcano!) and spent some time there. Nice hot springs.  Headed up to Guancanaste for more jungle and geothermal fun.  Over to the Papagayo peninsula for some time on the Pacific side of CR, and then down the coast to the Nicoya area for more outdoor adventures.

Pretty fun, relatively easy to navigate, horrible side roads (4x4 was key), and lots of outdoor beauty.  Never made it to the southeast beaches near Limon.

IMG_4849.thumb.JPG.c54728f2a1c61a9f0403e81272789aa1.JPG

and something @jsharr could appreciate:

PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

It did cross my mind, along with NM (where I have never been). What portion of AZ are you in, @UglyBob?

I'm in the Phoenix area. There's a lot to do around here, plus it's a good launching point for day trips. I could also set you up with a bike, depending on what size you need,

19 hours ago, UglyBob said:

I'm in the Phoenix area. There's a lot to do around here, plus it's a good launching point for day trips. I could also set you up with a bike, depending on what size you need,

Until I saw Uglybob chiming In I was going to recommend AZ.  The desert is really nice in the winter.  SoCal is usually very nice in February but if we are going to get rain it’s usually then.  You could have sunny skies and 70 degrees or wet dreary weather.  
As an aside, that’s part of the reason why the Tour of CA was moved later in the year. It seemed that the one week the race was held was always hit by a Pacific storm.