Artistic Exhaust

jsharr

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Honda exhausts are made of stainless steel pipes bolted together with mild steel flanges. Somewhere around 150’000 miles the flanges rust out. I have a guy that cuts off the flanges and welds a stainless splice in place. Good for another 150’000 miles. All for under $100.

I just got a quote from meineke for $650 on the del Sol to replace the complete system with custom welded pipes since to use the intended parts would be $1200!  It is 1995 and it must be all non stainless, although probably all that is original must be the cat. Odd that I saw a flange that looks to be unrusted in front of the rusted oot muffler but the guy said it is snot really a flange, which I don't understand. I hate to junk a car because of the exhaust. All before have been for engine or transmission. 

• Hugs 1

7 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Honda exhausts are made of stainless steel pipes bolted together with mild steel flanges. Somewhere around 150’000 miles the flanges rust out. I have a guy that cuts off the flanges and welds a stainless splice in place. Good for another 150’000 miles. All for under $100.

I have most of that stuff (except the HD pipes) in my workshop.  I’m good to go.  

I put 200k on my Accord without any exhaust issues.  I have 220k on my Civic with no exhaust problems.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

7 hours ago, Longjohn said:

This is a common problem for Nissan as well.  Having a good honest shop nearby will save hundreds of dollars in needless replacements.

• Awesome 1

5 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I just got a quote from meineke for $650 on the del Sol to replace the complete system with custom welded pipes since to use the intended parts would be $1200!  It is 1995 and it must be all non stainless, although probably all that is original must be the cat. Odd that I saw a flange that looks to be unrusted in front of the rusted oot muffler but the guy said it is snot really a flange, which I don't understand. I hate to junk a car because of the exhaust. All before have been for engine or transmission. 

I'd recommend Borla, but it doesn't look like make have a full system. :(

https://www.carid.com/1995-honda-del-sol-exhaust-systems/

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I have most of that stuff (except the HD pipes) in my workshop.  I’m good to go.  

I put 200k on my Accord without any exhaust issues.  I have 220k on my Civic with no exhaust problems.

We have an unusual situation where we live. In the winter all the roads other than our road are salted for ice control. Our road gets salted (calcium chloride) in the summer for dust control. The salt and dirt tend to eat up brake rotors too. Further had trouble with his exhaust flanges rusting away on his Element, he bought new pipes for $$$.

Haven’t had to deal with an exhaust issue in quite some time. My Dakota has developed a bit of a growl about 15 years ago. I thought it sounded good so I hadn’t done anything. I had to take it in to the dealer for a fuel sensor issue. The mechanic pointed out the rusted pipe. He said technically it is considered an emissions issue which was covered even though the pickup was out of warranty. Got a whole new exhaust at no charge! That was the last time I had any exhaust work done. 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1