WOLVES!!!

smudge

6 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Good Luck!! Wolf sightings here have been north and south of this area, and most are in the western part of the state.  Seems like folks are having more problems with bears and cougers this year.

Hmmm, not as comforting as I would like right now.

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

The woolofs were my favuorite sound in my daughters' book with sound. Woop-woop-woroooooo!

You are up late tonight.  Are you off tomorrow?  I am headed out to take the dogs on a walk and bring them onto the porch.  Shaidee spent last night in her kennel out side, where she has a nice dog house, so we'll she what she decides to do tonight. My wife put them on the porch last night, but Shaidee favors me, as the man from the previous owners worked more with her than his wife.  I also went to get her on the western side of Montana, so we bonded right away.  So we'll see if she responds differently for me.  Needless to say, she is an interesting dog, and she has impeccable manners and is very obedient.

• Heart 2

While Maggie and I were in the UP last month I woke up at 3 am to pee, So Maggie asked to go out too. We walked around the back of the cabin and Mag stopped in her tracks tilting her head to hear and sniffing the air. Then we heard a loud rustling sound in the woods that sounded too close for comfort. Maggie turned and dragged me back into the cabin. When I mentioned it to the resort owner later, he said he forgot to warn me that a bear had been spotted hanging around nearby. :frantics:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, smudge said:

At 4:43 am I officially decided I'd had enough fun for one night. I made a mad dash for camp from the shed and lived to tell the tale. 

It's about 900° in here. Wood stove works too well.

Thank you @Longjohn and @sheep_herder for keeping me company while I was worried about wolves.

The ignition temperature for wood is approx. 430 degrees.  I am having a hard time believing that it was 900 degrees in your camp.  This does not help lend and validity to your story about the wolves.  For all we know it was a pack of angry pugs. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, smudge said:

Ok. Approximately 80°.  That was the temp in here last night before I went to the shed. It felt like 900 because the outside temp was 26°. I think the temp inside my shed was only slightly warmer.

I am glad you survived. In the immortal words of Neitzche "If the wolves don't kill you, you will become stronger."

• Awesome 1

36 minutes ago, smudge said:

Ok. Approximately 80°.  That was the temp in here last night before I went to the shed. It felt like 900 because the outside temp was 26°. I think the temp inside my shed was only slightly warmer.

Adrenaline & sweat from the sprint probably contributed to the warmth!

• Haha 1

Wolf attacks are extremely rare.  You are more likely to die of a dog bite than a wolf attack.  You are more likely to hurt yourself falling out off the Bitch Barn ladder than being hurt by a wolf.  Statistics are on your side.  More likely to die falling out of the shower, than a wolf attack.

Seriously. 

I still want to sleep in the bitch barn.  I have my pillow at the ready

• Awesome 1

10 hours ago, smudge said:

If I survive this, I'll be sure to go to the gun store tomorrow!!!

You are camping in the woods with out a gun?

Coyotes are numerous enough around my parents, at least one person is usually carrying when we go back to mess around during the day.  So no, I wouldn't think about camping without one.

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

The ignition temperature for wood is approx. 430 degrees.  I am having a hard time believing that it was 900 degrees in your camp.  This does not help lend and validity to your story about the wolves.  For all we know it was a pack of angry pugs. 

Image result for sheep in wolves clothing

30 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Wolf attacks are extremely rare.  You are more likely to die of a dog bite than a wolf attack.  You are more likely to hurt yourself falling out off the Bitch Barn ladder than being hurt by a wolf.  Statistics are on your side.  More likely to die falling out of the shower, than a wolf attack.

Seriously. 

I still want to sleep in the bitch barn.  I have my pillow at the ready

Yeah, that's the big problem around here, Coyotes have crossed with stray dogs.  So you get what around here is commonly referred to as a Coydog.  The big issue with them is while Coyotes tend to be timid in nature and more naturally scavengers, Coydogs lose a lot of that timidness and tend to be far more aggressive.

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, smudge said:

I made a mad dash for camp from the shed

What's the difference between the "camp" and the "shed"?  I'm in a tent in a camp, and I know your shed is more sturdy than any tent I have ever been in. I would have been making a dash from camp to your shed if the wolves were circling my tent.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yeah, that's the big problem around here, Coyotes have crossed with stray dogs.  So you get what around here is commonly referred to as a Coydog.  The big issue with them is while Coyotes tend to be timid in nature and more naturally scavengers, Coydogs lose a lot of that timidness and tend to be far more aggressive.

Images of a black coyote were on the news this week in Texas.  A result of crossing with dogs.   Our local coyote population was decimated by distemper a few years back but they are on the rebound and starting to be heard and seen again in our neighborhood.  They do not tend to call in the city like they do in the country.  

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Guns, Guns, Guns.  What are you people so afraid of?  

I have traveled extensively in the forest.  Animals are afraid of me.  They always run away. Bears, coyotes, etc.   My husband saw the wolves out here, once,  They ran like heck.

Good thing it was away from you and not toward you!

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Guns, Guns, Guns.  What are you people so afraid of?  

I have traveled extensively in the forest.  Animals are afraid of me.  They always run away. Bears, coyotes, etc.   My husband saw the wolves out here, once,  They ran like heck.

It's not the wild animals that scare me, it's the semi-wild ones that are the issue.  They can run too, but not always away from you.

57 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What's the difference between the "camp" and the "shed"?  I'm in a tent in a camp, and I know your shed is more sturdy than any tent I have ever been in. I would have been making a dash from camp to your shed if the wolves were circling my tent.

The difference was about 45°. And I was ready for some real sleep.

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

IOW, your "camp" is???? A trailer? A cabin? A house?  Why is the shed different?

You need to keep up.  I think the camp is a cabin, and the shed is a newly constructed structure for bicycles, etc. with a sleeping and storage area in the attic.

• Awesome 1