Lost my power for a couple days

late

That sucked.

It wasn't cold enough that we had to decamp to a hotel, but it still sucked. I read most of book 7 of the Expanse in a day. The cold made me hungry, and I wound up going to Holy Donuts twice. Good donuts, crap coffee. Prob just my mood, but the donuts didn't seem as good.

• Hugs 1

1 minute ago, smudge said:

Frustrating. (The power and the not so great donuts)

What caused the power loss? Storms?

Yeah, we got this weird wind pattern. It would build from quiet to near hurricane force wind and than back to nearly quiet.

There were wires down all over, and one of the big transformer groups in South Portland blew. Which is unusual, they are pretty well protected these days, or at least I thought they were.

2 minutes ago, Couch_Incident said:

Do you live in California? 

Mudkipz 

Maine, just outside Portland.

" A nasty, wind-packed and waterlogged bomb cyclone brought its full fury to New England Wednesday evening into Thursday, lashing the coastline with winds as high as 90 mph and severing electricity to more than half a million customers."

There's only a little over a million in the whole state.

" The storm was a textbook bomb cyclone, meaning its minimum central air pressure intensified by at least 24 millibars during the span of 24 hours."

Those are rare here, but I've seen them before. I was backpacking on the AT and about a mile of it was turned into the jungle gym from hell.

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/10/17/powerful-weather-bomb-socks-new-england-with-wind-gusts-to-90-mph/?rel=related

1 hour ago, late said:

I read most of book 7 of the Expanse in a day. 

So, I’m curious, do you think:

• The ring builder killers are a malevolent, superior race or a kind of cosmic equal & opposite kind of energy to them? Or other?
  • there’s a ring from the slow zone to another hub or a system with two gates? Miller referenced “thousands of systems” In book 3. 
  • Marco will come back from the phantom zone?

21 minutes ago, 2Far said:

So, I’m curious, do you think:

• The ring builder killers are a malevolent, superior race or a kind of cosmic equal & opposite kind of energy to them? Or other?
  • there’s a ring from the slow zone to another hub or a system with two gates? Miller referenced “thousands of systems” In book 3. 
  • Marco will come back from the phantom zone?

That got heavy fast.

I call them the Dark Matter Aliens.  I think something about the other alien tech hurts them or pisses them off. Pretty sure we'll here all about it in Book 9.

That's a great point. Prob it means that's all that is left. I loved the booby trap in book 8.

I think Marco is going to stay dead. The Black Matter aliens seem solely interested in killing.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I’m glad you were finally able to pay your electric bill and get your electric turned back on. We missed you.

Did I forget to mention I have  Mr Fusion in the backyard?

I can travel through time without leaving my recliner.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, late said:

That sucked.

It wasn't cold enough that we had to decamp to a hotel, but it still sucked. I read most of book 7 of the Expanse in a day. The cold made me hungry, and I wound up going to Holy Donuts twice. Good donuts, crap coffee. Prob just my mood, but the donuts didn't seem as good.

There's that feeling of uncertainty that gnaws at you.  I felt the same in Aug. 2011 when hurricane Irene didn't make serious landfall in Maryland but dropped so much rain that trees fell all over the place and most people in Central Maryland were without power for days, me for 3 days.

My basement was flooded 3 feet deep and I ended up buying a pool pump to get the water out after power was restored.  I was pleased nothing seemed damaged, but the sump pump, old refrigerator, and old freezer died a couple years later.

Ever since, I've owned a 1200 W generator (burns 1 gal of gas every 4-6 hours) so I can intermittently run everything I need to run on a small amount of gas. from the sump pump to the refrigerator to the TV and it's only a 10-minute job to splice a cut-in-half a heavy-duty extension into the junction box of the 600W-max forced air furnace (isolating the line coming from the house's power), plugging the male end of the extension into the generator and running the furnace.

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

There's that feeling of uncertainty that gnaws at you.  I felt the same in Aug. 2011 when hurricane Irene didn't make serious landfall in Maryland but dropped so much rain that trees fell all over the place and most people in Central Maryland were without power for days, me for 3 days.

My basement was flooded 3 feet deep and I ended up buying a pool pump to get the water out after power was restored.  I was pleased nothing seemed damaged, but the sump pump, old refrigerator, and old freezer died a couple years later.

Ever since, I've owned a 1200 W generator (burns 1 gal of gas every 4-6 hours) so I can intermittently run everything I need to run on a small amount of gas. from the sump pump to the refrigerator to the TV and it's only a 10-minute job to splice a cut-in-half a heavy-duty extension into the junction box of the 600W-max forced air furnace (isolating the line coming from the house's power), plugging the male end of the extension into the generator and running the furnace.

We lost power for 9 days once. At that time, the prices for generators were crazy, and by the time they came back down, the passion had cooled.

But that is great, that you have one.

8 hours ago, Couch_Incident said:

I really want to go there some time. Perhaps next summer. 

Mudkipz 

Here are some of my favorite places in Maine, Baxter State Park (the end of the AT, they have shelters but the winter is when you need to reserve them, we can talk if you settle on that), Acadia (among other things, you can rent mtn bikes and ride the carriage trails), Camden (walk up "Mt" Battie at dawn and watch the sun come up, it's just a hill with a good view), Brunswick, it's a college town that kicks ass. Good restaurants, a nice play to stay if you're bike touring. Portland, really good restaurants for  a small city, some night life and attractions. The touristy area (Old Port) can get pretty mobbed in the summer. There's a duck boat tour, foodie tours, history tours, all depends on what you're in the mood for. Don't miss J's Oyster Bar the way you know who did recently.

Some other places: LL Bean Factory store in Freeport (they have them all over New England, so if you're in Acadia, for example, there's one there). My fave Middle Eastern restaurant in Maine is in Freeport, Meditarrean Grill, order one mixed appetizer plate for each person.

Moodys Restaurant is famous in New England, unless you drive up to Camden from Portland, you won't see it. It's like stepping into the past. They've been doing the same thing for generations. They also have Roundtop ice cream, which is my fave (we get serious about ice cream here). Try the walnut cream pie.

One of my fave bike rides is to hop the ferry in Portland and go to Baileys Island, and spend the night at the Driftwood Inn (which is like stepping back into the 1950s, DO NOT miss their dinner, and ask for directions to the breakfast joint when you check in. There is no sign and it's easy to miss) You then ride up to Brunswick, have a coffee or lunch, and then just ride Rte 1 back to Portland. There are some nice options like Rte 88.

If I am well, we can meet, and I can help.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1