The biggest musical act you never got into?

Wilbur

15 minutes ago, wilbur said:

They are a musicians band.  Primarily because of their extraordinary talent.  Find me a musician that dislikes or discredits Rush in any way. 

You asked for my opinion and I gave it to you. 

23 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

A band that was huge in the 80’s that I couldn’t stand was Def Leppard.  A band I didn’t like at their peak but kind of appreciate now is Journey.  And I  can’t get behind country music, any of it..

My sentiments exactly on DL and Journey! I do like me some old school country and bluegrass, though! The Blasters and Beat Farmers pointed me down that path. 

Good question.  I remember being thoroughly disgusted with Jose Feliciano's version of "Light My Fire."

In my 50's, I decided to learn to play piano.  At my first recital I screwed up a little and Mike, my piano teacher, said comfortingly, "Just remember, there's no such thing as bad music."

After dozens of recital performances since then, usually in front of a couple hundred people, I've been much less critical and much more appreciative of all music performed by skilled "musicians' musicians."  I even enjoy the real hillbilly stuff on "Song of the Mountains" on PBS. 

My classical piano teacher, the late virtuosa Frances Cheng-Koors, told me to always have a place in the music I knew best that I could to jump to if I ran into trouble playing a certain passage: "Most people don't know the whole piece and won't even realized you skipped over anything." Frances was so skilled - one of the few pianists allowed to play on Mozart's piano at the annual Salzburg (Austria) Music Festival - that I don't think she had to do it herself: I saw her perform in front of a very large audience all of Chopin's 24 Preludes, one after the other, without sheet music, without missing a note. But since then, I've noticed rock stars playing instrumental bridges in the middle of songs using that technique - even Chuck Berry in a performance I saw of Roll Over Beethoven skipped over a couple tough riffs he usually played.

Me playing Chopin's Prelude in E Minor at the ACE Recital of the Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins Univ.  Carefully trained to get the hand, wrist, and arm positions right using the Russian Method by Frances, I missed a few notes but few of the 200 people there noticed. Frances did and whacked me on the head with a rolled-up program shortly after the scene in the top right. The woman standing to the right of me in that upper right picture is opera grand diva Hyunah Yu, seated on the far right is piano virtuosa Frances Cheng Koors.

586919708_MickatPeabody5-19-06Collage.jpg.7eaab7f2f87c4b1c7ea7e41c731f0b29.jpg

2 hours ago, dennis said:

Side 2 of Sticky Fingers is pretty damn good.

From 1968 Beggar’s Banquet, 1969 Let it Bleed, 1971 Sticky Fingers through 1972’s Exile on Main Street, the Stones recorded some of the best blues-influenced rock music. 

@dennis, if you’re interested, keep an eye open at your library for the Cambridge Companion to The Rolling Stones, released yesterday. I heard one of the authors (I believe it was Coelho) on NPR and ordered it myself. He’s a professor at BU, and talked about how the Stones introduced so many different styles of music to the world.

“The first collection of academic essays devoted to the Rolling Stones. Designed for use by students, rock scholars, and serious fans, it discusses the Stones' music and history from a wide range of interpretive perspectives, and covers the entire span of the group's career.”

About the Author

Victor Coelho is Professor of Music and Director of the Center for Early Music Studies at Boston University, as well as a lutenist and guitarist. His previous publications include Instrumentalists and Renaissance Culture (with Keith Polk, Cambridge, 2016), The Cambridge Companion to the Guitar (Cambridge, 2003), and Performance on Lute, Guitar, and Vihuela (Cambridge, 1997). 

John Covach is Director of the University of Rochester Institute for Popular Music, Professor of Music in the College Music Department, and Professor of Theory at the Eastman School of Music. He is the principal author of the college textbook What's That Sound?: An Introduction to Rock Music (5th edition, 2018) and has co-edited Understanding Rock (1997), American Rock and the Classical Tradition (2000), Traditions, Institutions, and American Popular Music (2000), and Sounding Out Pop (2010).

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

From 1968 Beggar’s Banquet, 1969 Let it Bleed, 1971 Sticky Fingers through 1972’s Exile on Main Street, the Stones recorded some of the best blues-influenced rock music. 

@dennis, if you’re interested, keep an eye open at your library for the Cambridge Companion to The Rolling Stones, released yesterday. I heard one of the authors (I believe it was Coelho) on NPR and ordered it myself. He’s a professor at BU, and talked about how the Stones introduced so many different styles of music to the world.

“The first collection of academic essays devoted to the Rolling Stones. Designed for use by students, rock scholars, and serious fans, it discusses the Stones' music and history from a wide range of interpretive perspectives, and covers the entire span of the group's career.”

About the Author

Victor Coelho is Professor of Music and Director of the Center for Early Music Studies at Boston University, as well as a lutenist and guitarist. His previous publications include Instrumentalists and Renaissance Culture (with Keith Polk, Cambridge, 2016), The Cambridge Companion to the Guitar (Cambridge, 2003), and Performance on Lute, Guitar, and Vihuela (Cambridge, 1997). 

John Covach is Director of the University of Rochester Institute for Popular Music, Professor of Music in the College Music Department, and Professor of Theory at the Eastman School of Music. He is the principal author of the college textbook What's That Sound?: An Introduction to Rock Music (5th edition, 2018) and has co-edited Understanding Rock (1997), American Rock and the Classical Tradition (2000), Traditions, Institutions, and American Popular Music (2000), and Sounding Out Pop (2010).

I will have to look for that. 

Keith catching a flight.

Image result for keith richards photo plane"

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, Couch_Incident said:

Oh, and The Grateful Dead.   All of their music sounds the same and the music is boring and dreadfully horrible. 

Mudkipz 

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Agreed. I was the only one of my college friends that didn’t love the Dead. “OMG a 26 minute Dark Star“ did nothing for me.

I can’t say I really like the dead but their music reminds me of an epic fishing trip.  My cousin was going through a dead phase and other than Touch of Grey I didn’t know any of their songs.

Driving back after an epic day on the Yellowstone, Madison, Gallitan rivers, the clanking of the drift boat on the trailer and The Dead playing in the truck... Good times!

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Agreed. I was the only one of my college friends that didn’t love the Dead. “OMG a 26 minute Dark Star“ did nothing for me.

Yea, I even  tried their music while high on acid.  The problem with acid is, it brings clarity to the situation if used correctly.  

Once again, the hippies were wrong. 

Mudkipz 

2 hours ago, Couch_Incident said:

Yea, I even  tried their music while high on acid.  The problem with acid is, it brings clarity to the situation if used correctly.  

Once again, the hippies were wrong. 

Mudkipz 

I went to a Dead show once. Didn’t buy tickets. Didn’t go in. Ate acid, ate burritos, and drank good beer. It was a good time, probably because we didn’t go in.