Proper chili has beans in it

Randomguy

of course it does....that's why it's called chilli con carne.

Thank you.  

I got uppity about chili last week, I was gonna have it for lunch.  The chick behind the counter asked if I wanted to try cheese and tortilla strips on it, and I said yeah.  We go to get it rang up, and the price came to $8.71 with tax.  I say "Hey, what is up with that, the sign says $5.75?(I thought they were a little too proud of their chili, judging by the price)  She said you added cheese and tortilla strips, and the chili is premium, so that is another dollar.  I told her there was nothing indicating extra monies when the moran behind the counter asked if I wanted the cheese and such, but I would pay for the cheese, anyway, but they couldn't tell me what the 'premium' part was all about.  I fussed for my moment and said "$9 is too much to pay for chili, you can keep it" and left.

But anyway, maybe they thought it was premium if it had beans in it, thanks to jsharrt.

• Heart 1

no, no, no...that is all yankee carpet bagging lies aimed at watering down Texas traditions :P

but here's why chilli has no beans. Just think about it for a second...

Out on the ranches, the cowboys (who were mostly Mexicans) had to be fed. When you were out for a long time with the herd, there's not going to be a McDonalds out there, especially in the old days, and so you had to pack your food with you. Dried beans were a staple. they are easy to pack and they keep and they are a good energy food.

Trouble is if you feed the guys nothing but beans, you're going to have a shootin, so every once in a while, they would butcher one of the herd for the men. This was a special deal. After you get the BBQ eaten, the rest of the meat can be preserved for a few days more with dried spices, like hot pepper and chillie powder and salt. That's the west Texas chili recipie right there: 

beef, powdered spices, salt, water, and a little corn meal to give it some body.

You don't put beans in it because you eat fucking beans every day the last 3 weeks

that's the authentic west Texas chili

accept no substitutes ;)

Thank you.  

I got uppity about chili last week, I was gonna have it for lunch.  The chick behind the counter asked if I wanted to try cheese and tortilla strips on it, and I said yeah.  We go to get it rang up, and the price came to $8.71 with tax.  I say "Hey, what is up with that, the sign says $5.75?(I thought they were a little too proud of their chili, judging by the price)  She said you added cheese and tortilla strips, and the chili is premium, so that is another dollar.  I told her there was nothing indicating extra monies when the moran behind the counter asked if I wanted the cheese and such, but I would pay for the cheese, anyway, but they couldn't tell me what the 'premium' part was all about.  I fussed for my moment and said "$9 is too much to pay for chili, you can keep it" and left.

But anyway, maybe they thought it was premium if it had beans in it, thanks to jsharrt.

I had that happen years ago with ice cream.  The guy got attytude with me aboot it.  Local shop is out of business now.  I am SHOCKED!

Chili is one of the most amazing foods out there.

In Texas, one can enjoy Nate’s beanless chili, but elsewhere, it’s served with lots of beans. There are some great vegetarian chili recipes for those so inclined. And Cincinnati chili, served on spaghetti and topped with grated cheese, is something else entirely.

Think about the significance of this food. It’s served, in one form or another, all across the United States and beyond. It’s enjoyed by people of all ethnicities, by people in all parts of the country, by people of all creeds, belief systems and worldviews and by people of all political and economic persuasions.

Is there any other food which has such a broad appeal?
  • Heart 2

With beans. In fact....with beans over pasta along with shredded cheese, sour cream and onions. You also simmer it with a good dark beer in the mix...adds another layer of flavor. Tortilla chips on the side and an ice cold lager to wash it down with.

• Heart 1

In Texas, one can enjoy Nate’s beanless chili, but elsewhere, it’s served with lots of beans. There are some great vegetarian chili recipes for those so inclined. And Cincinnati chili, served on spaghetti and topped with grated cheese, is something else entirely.

Think about the significance of this food. It’s served, in one form or another, all across the United States and beyond. It’s enjoyed by people of all ethnicities, by people in all parts of the country, by people of all creeds, belief systems and worldviews and by people of all political and economic persuasions.

They started a local chili festival here that got wildly popular right from the start. :)

pizza

• Heart 1

I found some more interesting history here

http://www.mexene.com/aboutchili.html

This is what the had to say about Texas style chili.

Original Texas-Style Chili

This dish contains no vegetables except chiles and beans which have been prepared by being boiled, peeled, and chopped. The meat is simply bite-size - traditionally, the size of a pecan nut - or coarsely ground, with 1/2-inch plate holes in a meat grinder as standard. It must always be beef, venison, or other mature meats. Stewing meat also works well. Prime beef and veal, on the other hand, are not suitable for chili, as they tend not to remain solid. Many cooks omit the suet being much too greasy, although it does add flavor, and New Mexico or Anaheim peppers, or a combination of these or others (such as pasillas, hiles de arbol, anchos, etc.) are recommended. For an "elevated" flavor, one uses four pepper pods per pound of meat; for a milder "beginners'" version, use only 2-3 pods. Chili powder is a barely adequate substitute in the original recipe; it lacks the subtle sting of the pods. (A heaped tablespoon of chili powder is the approximate equivalent of one average-size chili pod.)
Pedernales River Chili

You  googly morans don't know anything about chili

all that shows is that some idiot has a website and some other idiot had to google chili to try and figure out what I already know

On Tuesday, July 1, we will celebrate Canada Day. For those of you who are Canadians, know one or more Canadians or wish you were Canadians, join us and let your maple leaf flag fly high.

(The celebrations in my community will not include tofu chili with beans.)

The short answer is that Canada Day celebrates Canada — and that's always worth celebrating.

For those Americans living near our shared border, come and join us in the festivities. Think of it as a warm-up for your Fourth of July celebrations and a chance to meet your friendly neighbours to the north.

Nate and jsharr can bring genuine Texas chili.

• Heart 2