I know at least one thing about myself

Square Wheels

So you buy material things to improve your feelings and your view on life and yet you are also enstranged from your kids?  Why don't you buy them some things? Why don't you buy them something out of the blue and just tell them you don't know if they need it or not but that you miss them and you are sorry that you never had the kind of relationship with them you wanted?  Tell them you're sorry but you did your best and that it's not too late to receive some pointers. Those gifts can be incredible ice breakers.

Relationships matter.  Things don't.  So make the things that don't do anything for you  -- do something for somebody else.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I buy things to make me happy.  It often doesn't work.  I know this in advance.  I do it anyhow.  I don't regret it.

I just ordered my new Samsung Tablet, it will be in in a couple of weeks.

...I have never bought a bicycle that did not make me happy ( at least a little bit happy).  Wasn't there some superific bicycle you wanted a couple of years back ?

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I buy things to make me happy.

Things don't do it for me.  As a matter of fact, if everything I now own would last for the rest of my life without breaking, becoming grossly outdated, or just plain wearing out, I would probably never buy anything again.  Well, except for food and other maintenance items, of course.

I usually only buy stuff when I have no other choice.   

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I buy things to make me happy.  It often doesn't work.  I know this in advance.  I do it anyhow.  I don't regret it.

This is an excellent post!  Humans do what we do (what we get accustomed to doing), and we follow our patterns and wear them in.  The hardest thing to do is to change behaviors.  

That said, you need release from stress in your life, need nice stuff, can afford it, plus buying with this awareness may not always make you happy, but it sounds like it doesn’t make you unhappy.  

Carry on. 

10 hours ago, Dottie said:

So you buy material things to improve your feelings and your view on life and yet you are also enstranged from your kids?  Why don't you buy them some things? Why don't you buy them something out of the blue and just tell them you don't know if they need it or not but that you miss them and you are sorry that you never had the kind of relationship with them you wanted?  Tell them you're sorry but you did your best and that it's not too late to receive some pointers. Those gifts can be incredible ice breakers.

Relationships matter.  Things don't.  So make the things that don't do anything for you  -- do something for somebody else.

Clearly you have no idea what I've done for them.  In the past 12 years (since they were old enough to remember), I've taken then on trips around the world, including all of them to Greece two years ago.  They want for nothing.  I've paid at least a third of their education.  I've tried.  This is on them.

• Hugs 3

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Clearly you have no idea what I've done for them.  In the past 12 years (since they were old enough to remember), I've taken then on trips around the world, including all of them to Greece two years ago.  They want for nothing.  I've paid at least a third of their education.  I've tried.  This is on them.

There is probably at least 1 child who is more receptive to a call from you.  Just hopin' for you.  

Let me guess...they have no idea you run this forum.  It's a good thing..they don't see yet/know.

1 minute ago, roadsue said:

So, it doesn’t need to update every other week?

I don't know.  I was just being nice to our Apple hating overload.  :)  I am an avid Apple guy phone to Mac and everything between.  I run my job and life on my iPad.  The constant updates are bothersome though.  

12 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Do you know your name?  Your birthday?  If you do, that's three things now you know about yourself.  ?

I'm prone to buying things to make me happy, but I've done a better job of keeping that impulse in check the last several years and at least the dollar amount down and anymore, I've become a cheap SOB.  So my joy has been reduced to just loading up the Amazon cart for my wife to clear later when she actually wants to order something.  Though sometimes she forgets and it's like Christmas for me.  ?

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

I would like a tablet to carry during class and track student data. I have an iPad, but I’m wondering whether Samsung has more useful features.

Honestly, a Windows Surface would probably be the better bet for what you are looking for.

WoKzoo is sort of like that.  Shopping therapy.  Actually I realized very early in our relationship that she likes to buy something and not buying something sets her on edge.  I noticed that if we went to a store and we came out without buying something she was 'edgy'.  If we went to a mall be could spend time in several stores and all was OK, but if we left the mall without a purchase she was again 'edgy'.  She is a great deal shopper and she loves to buy things that need to be returned.......  She is also very generous and likes to buy for others. 

Now that she has found on-line shopping - oh boy.

Sometimes "things" can help make things easier or help make a task less bothersome, and that can be a nice way to save some time or relieve some stress.  Other times there are things that can make me happy, but that is often not based on how much they cost.  I was once at an art show and saw a wood bowl with a rabbit painted on it. It cost more than a wood bowl would typically cost, and the frugal side of me debated for a bit, but I eventually got it. That bowl is still on the side board in my dining area and every time I pass by and see the bowl it makes me smile for no particular reason except that it's a bunny in a bowl..  I still have my spring fever green tumblers and they still make me happy when I use them.   That silly blue clock that I won't plug in but that reminds me of my childhood is in my bedroom and it makes me feel good to see it every morning.

So if you can afford it and something may help make a task easier, or create some joy, take a chance.  If it doesn't work out, you haven't spent too much, and if it does make things easier or it makes you smile, enjoy!  It's nice to treat ourselves every once in awhile whether it's with a tablet or snazzy green glasses.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

WoKzoo is sort of like that.  Shopping therapy.  Actually I realized very early in our relationship that she likes to buy something and not buying something sets her on edge.  I noticed that if we went to a store and we came out without buying something she was 'edgy'.  If we went to a mall be could spend time in several stores and all was OK, but if we left the mall without a purchase she was again 'edgy'.  She is a great deal shopper and she loves to buy things that need to be returned.......  She is also very generous and likes to buy for others. 

Now that she has found on-line shopping - oh boy.

Egad.  Are we married to the same gal?