Hey, Aire!

2Far

I was futzing around with Google Maps, looking at where I used to live & noticed the Lehigh Valley Trail

Back when I lived there that was an active (used loosely) RR line. It crossed Pinnacle, just south of what is now the Stevens-Conner Lehigh Valley Lodge. That used to be an American Legion post. Many a night the 'rents of 2, staggered home from there after one of their parties. The vets didn't need much of an excuse to party. It was also the BSA Post 334 of which I was a member (Star)

That RR crossing was totally unmarked & the ~twice/week train crossed at night. I was hauling ass south on Pinnacle one night trying to beat curfew, came over the hill just north of the legion & suddenly realized I couldn't see the lights of the houses just past the crossing. I two-footed the brake pedal and ended up what seemed like inches from the slow moving train crossing the road.

Lyons Rd runs to the east & the Bogers lived at the top of the hill. Dr. Boger was an orthopedic surgeon & treated me for a broken arm (hockey), a separated shoulder (lacrosse) and a sprained ankle (lacrosse). He was also one of my sponsors for my two nominations to the USNA.

image.png.8c1f73822a38b629736e8596e9b7c30f.png

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

I have spent many miles on the trail. Running and cycling. You should come visit for old times sake. 

Imread this to Mr. Aire and he said, “Yep, it was and that is right.”

I have spent a number of years stalking this forum (a remnant from bikeforums) and have enjoyed all the great and humorous posts. Greetings from northern NM! (Is this a state or different country?)

What drew me to finally register is Airehead and being in Rush, NY. My mom grew up in Rush on Pinnacle Rd and I have many happy memories of going to grandmas farm and enjoying the atmosphere there. This most recent post talks about the Lodge right across the street from my grandmother, where we spent a number of family reunions. I couldn't resist signing up to mention this. It's such a small world.

My grandmother passed away close to ten years ago and my uncle still lives at the property. I hope to visit there again. It is the Klick property and most of my memories include exploring the propery (she had chickens and geese that would attack me) and the neighboring property by Lyons with rope swings and walking the roads to pick raspberries. Really special times.

Anyway, carry on with the banter and I will probably mostly lurk by hope to join in the conversations when I can! Attached is the "farm" on left. The road just to the right is the Lodge.

pinnacle.JPG

• Heart 2

Klick. Klick.  I have a faded memory. Billy Klick?
Did you ever meet the Boger kids? CATHY was the oldest, John was next, then a younger two. 

Hoo boy, there was a farm house at the top of the hill on Lyons, the other side of the road from the Boger’s.  Can’t remember their name.  The oldest son, about 12 at the time took his dad’s car for a joyride. The cops gave pursuit. It ended without anyone getting hurt

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, 2Far said:

Klick. Klick.  I have a faded memory. Billy Klick?
Did you ever meet the Boger kids? CATHY was the oldest, John was next, then a younger two. 

Hoo boy, there was a farm house at the top of the hill on Lyons, the other side of the road from the Boger’s.  Can’t remember their name.  The oldest son, about 12 at the time took his dad’s car for a joyride. The cops gave pursuit. It ended without anyone getting hurt

Nope, no Billy Klick. My uncle Howard, who owns the house now, had a history of shenanigans around the area. Had his drivers license revoked for one too many DWIs and took the tractor one time into town for more beer. Of course he got pulled over. I'm sure he though a tractor was legal, since it wasn't an automobile. This is all back in 70s/80s though he still very much enjoys his Genny's. 

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Palesaint said:

Nope, no Billy Klick. My uncle Howard, who owns the house now, had a history of shenanigans around the area. Had his drivers license revoked for one too many DWIs and took the tractor one time into town for more beer. Of course he got pulled over. I'm sure he though a tractor was legal, since it wasn't an automobile. This is all back in 70s/80s though he still very much enjoys his Genny's. 

Ha, my recollection of the Klick surname included a guy who was somewhat disdainful of societal norms. This wasn’t really unusual in that area. The Werner and Roth kids (Rush-Mendon Road) were a little wild. 

I’m RH ‘73, how old is Howard?

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Ha, my recollection of the Klick surname included a guy who was somewhat disdainful of societal norms. This wasn’t really unusual in that area. The Werner and Roth kids (Rush-Mendon Road) were a little wild. 

I’m RH ‘73, how old is Howard?

Hmm, I'm guessing he was born around '51 so that puts him a few years ahead of you. I could be off a few years. My grandmother had 3 boys, 2 girls. In a house with one bathroom. Not even a shower, just a tub. Hard to believe!

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

I stop at that veggie stand. We really should all gather for a meal. To be truthful, Rush and East River Road got too crowded. We just built a fancy Airedale farm in Honeoye Falls. I know a bunch of the Werner’s. 

Honeoye Falls is where my parents first lived after they got married. Dad was from Texas and in the Navy so that's how he met mom. He worked at Kodak for a bit before convincing mom to move to Texas so he could be closer to his family. We would drive from West Texas to NY every other summer. Good times!