Have you ever heard the saying "If it's too loud you are too old?"

jsharr

We went to a charity fund raiser concert last night for a local place called City House that serves homeless teens in our area.

The bands were Infinite Journey, a local Journey cover band,  Sister Sledge, which had one of the original Sledge Sisters, and KC and the Sunshine Band.

The first two were awesome and at a volume where you could hear them well,

KC tried to make up for age and relevancy with volume and bright lights.  KC is 70 and was trying to dance when he should have just sang.  Way too dramatic and way too loud.  He lost the audience and people began walking out.  He could have kept them had he turned down the volume, turned off the lights and played 70s dance tunes instead of ballads and drama and banter and 7 costume changes.

It was too loud and I am too old.

The end.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

There are way too many things that are too loud.  Definitely some rock concerts.  Franz Ferdinand was WAY too loud, but thankfully Cake in an open air venue was a perfect volume.  I think venues with the sound too loud should be sued for causing permanent hearing loss if they don;t keep the sound at reasonable levels..

Most restaurants are also too loud.  When they modernized the old style with many small separate rooms with soft surfaces to the modern open floor plan with hard surfaces, they should have added some acoustical sound-absorbing materials IMO.  Just like they need to stay off my lawn. :D

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

We went to a charity fund raiser concert last night for a local place called City House that serves homeless teens in our area.

The bands were Infinite Journey, a local Journey cover band,  Sister Sledge, which had one of the original Sledge Sisters, and KC and the Sunshine Band.

The first two were awesome and at a volume where you could hear them well,

KC tried to make up for age and relevancy with volume and bright lights.  KC is 70 and was trying to dance when he should have just sang.  Way too dramatic and way too loud.  He lost the audience and people began walking out.  He could have kept them had he turned down the volume, turned off the lights and played 70s dance tunes instead of ballads and drama and banter and 7 costume changes.

It was too loud and I am too old.

The end.

You are not old until it has to be too loud!  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Most restaurants are also too loud.  When they modernized the old style with many small separate rooms with soft surfaces to the modern open floor plan with hard surfaces, they should have added some acoustical sound-absorbing materials IMO

We quit going to some restaurants because of the noise level. 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

You can always turn the hearing aid down.  If your like me and don't have one so much the better......what noise?

Yes, I only wear mine on special occasions.  However, not wearing them is not even adequate in some venues.  We are careful as to what we attend, and have walked out of some venues that were unbearable.

17 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Or you could get kick off the cruise ship. (I think something was left out that story...who has loud sex and immediately have an argument. Something just doesn't add up.)

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/couple-furious-after-being-booted-from-cruise-for-loud-love-making-045635669.html

They are just lucky they got booted off the ship while they were in port.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I go to restaurants to be able to talk with people who I'm with...not just eat. So if restaurant noise is too loud, the evening becomes frustrating..for everyone.  And I've been with others a decade younger than I.

But what if it is so loud that it is a major effort to talk to the people you are with. I refuse to go to Cheesecake Factory and others not because of the food, but because they are designed to be echo chambers. Ultra high ceilings, hard décor on the walls and total absence of soft material to absorb sound. Various sounds of the hussle bussle, other people's conversations, background music all create a high energy level as the various sounds mix bouncing off ceilings and wall, amplifying in the process. Not an enjoyable environment to have a conversation with friends, much less, enjoy a meal.

Well...I had the restaurant experience probably 25 years ago or so...A group of us..probably 5 or 6 of us got together with a friend who was about to go back to work after having a baby...So we met..Mom, Baby and us at the Rainforest Cafe at the MOA....OMG...it was all louder than it needed to be...you had the hostess calling out "Smith Family of 5 your adventure is about to begin"....You had the rain forest sounds, jungle animal noises and rain & thunder...and in the background the popular music of the day...even then you couldn't hear the folks at the other end of the table...It was over stimulation ...I have not been back..  As to concerts,,,meh it has been a long time since I have been to one...

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Our church has a big container of ear plugs where you enter the auditorium. Old people have a hard time with music that’s too loud.

Yep, we've left cowboy church venues held during the bucking horse sale because of the loud music.  Sometimes earplugs are not enough to adequately bring down the sound.  It doesn't help when your body is vibrating when sitting in the audience.

• Haha 1