Getting excited over huge wad of bills

shootingstar

I was in the bank the other day. Dealing with some transfers, etc. (yea, sure it can be done online, etc...)

In the next teller stall, I noticed a customer was asking for a large cash withdrawal...probably over $1,500.00.  The customer looked visibly excited as the money was counted in her hand.  Hope she spends money wisely.

It always floors me to see people still withdrawing such large sums of cash.  I realize some recipients do stuff and don't want to have it reported to the govn't tax authorities..  But quite frankly, I would feel unsafe to walk around or store at home such large sums of cash.  I have seen sums of over $3,000.00 put into the hand of someone at the bank.

12 minutes ago, Allen said:

I bought my Miata with cash. The seller wanted cash. 

for a couple hundred bucks? 

The only people where I've handed over $100.00 were family members. Anything bigger is a cheque.  Not even friends, I've never done it.  Actually I never have loaned money to close/long time friends. I'm happy to buy a meal for them or buy groceries for whatever they need.

I guess I do have friends who are financially independent in the fullest sense of the word.  

Do I sound like miser?  Sorry. I have a big enough family. And still have a mother who lives low income...well, actually most of their lives with father when he was alive.

Anytime I am carrying large sums of cash on my person, I always am more vigilant -- mainly because of the greater risk of loss -- but truth is if I am sure nobody saw me then there is absolutely no reason to feel any different than if I had a dollar in my pocket. My chance of being robbed are exactly the same.  I am the only one at this point that knows I have a large sum of cash in my pocket.  There's no reason to act or speak any different.  For this reason, I would not walk in to a teller and withdraw it because folks notice (like you did shootingstar).  This could actually increase my chances of being robbed.  Instead, I'd go through the drive through.  If the distribution is discreet and I've now turned into a Joe Schmo.  Since I've never been robbed, the odds of me getting robbed don't increase based on the value in my wallet.

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Anytime I am carrying large sums of cash on my person, I always am more vigilant -- mainly because of the greater risk of loss -- but truth is if I am sure nobody saw me then there is absolutely no reason to feel any different than if I had a dollar in my pocket. My chance of being robbed are exactly the same.  I am the only one at this point that knows I have a large sum of cash in my pocket.  There's no reason to act or speak any different.  For this reason, I would not walk in to a teller and withdraw it because folks notice (like you did shootingstar).  This could actually increase my chances of being robbed.  Instead, I'd go through the drive through.  The distribution is discreet and I've now turned into a Joe Schmo.  Since I've never been robbed, the odds of me getting robbed don't increase based on the value in my wallet.

Yup, you're 100% right, Dottie. The woman that I saw, was literally vibrating with excitement to have that cash counted into her hand.

11 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I'm nervous with less than $40 in my pocket. I still pay cash for many purchases. 

I appreciate that those who are at the farmers' markets...may tend to prefer cash. Reasonable because of the extra fees banks levy on small businesses for credit payments, debit and now with e-commerce platforms like Shopify, etc.  There is also some safety for the businesses too...not to have too much cash while they are operating.

I get suspicious in some cities where a restaurant will automatically slap on 20% on meal, saying for workers.  Yea sure.  Well, then raise their wages.  I actually prefer to tip cash directly to hair stylist..so she gets it direct rather than the salon owner.  I know this may not work, depending what she is required to do for owner, re tips.

• Awesome 1

I normally ask how a person wants to be paid, and pay accordingly.  Tellers at our bank are more discreet, and count money out on the counter, and then hand it to me or put it in an envelope, which is then handed to me. Nice to be paid in cash when you are delivering livestock, and it beats the hell out of having to go back to get them, if the check is bad.

• Awesome 1

Back in the early 90s I had a hobby of buying vintage guitars and amps. When the market would be up I would take them to a vintage guitar show in Chicago and sell them. 

On year I went to Chicago with 2 other friends and we sold everything that we took to the show. We were a little nervous on the drive home and we weren't stopping until we were back in Wisconsin. Between the three of us we had over $12,000 in cash on us.

Once the internet and Ebay started the vintage buying and selling dried up. 

I generally carry very little cash but at one point had $5K petty cash (in cash) but this was in the 90’s before electronic payment.  I hated having that much cash.

As. a booster we would deal with thousands in cash. I often worked parking for the OC Fair (our HS was next door and closer than off site parking).  I would have an apron loaded with cash. 

My wife actually helped expose the band booster treasurer who was steeling thousands from band & cheer.  We volunteered to work concessions at several football games and this person would always just take the cash.  We had a process where two people counted the cash and both certified the amount.  No I’ll just count it, that’s the way we do it... We told the football & Band booster presidents we would no longer work concessions as their process was completely F’d and subject to fraud and we wanted no part of it.  A few months later that treasurer was in jail!   

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’m having a wood floor refinished this month. My quote included one price for cash, a higher one for check, and third, higher price for credit. I’ll be paying cash, going to the teller window. I probably won’t look as excited and the woman at your bank, but my wife may.

I had just the opposite. When I purchased windows, I was going to pay with cash (a check), but when wanted 50% down was uncomfortable with that arrangement and inquired about financing. They had two plans, both of which had no pre-payment penalty. What sold the deal, the 3rd party finance company had a referral fee they paid the window company...which the window company passed on to me reducing my net cost. Essentially, it was cheaper for me to finance, avoid the deposit, and keep the cash in a saving account earning interest over the two or three month before the bill came in, than to pay cash. The finance company pays out the bonus but doesn't earn the interest with the early payoff that they thought they would be making.

• Awesome 1

I paid for my e-bike with cash.  It was many hundreds.  Many.  I didn't want the bike shop to take a credit card hit.  I asked him, check or cash.  He said cash.  

It was funny to watch her count out 70 hundred dollar bills.  I want the shop owner to make it rain, but he didn't.  We did take a fun instagram pic with a fan of money.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I paid for my e-bike with cash.  It was many hundreds.  Many.  I didn't want the bike shop to take a credit card hit.  I asked him, check or cash.  He said cash.  

It was funny to watch her count out 70 hundred dollar bills.  I want the shop owner to make it rain, but he didn't.  We did take a fun instagram pic with a fan of money.

I bought my Tarmac with cash. No wheel set, so not $7k, but lots of piles of bills.

• Awesome 1

Most craigslist deals are cash. I've often pulled a few thousand out of the bank in cash. I'm probably naive, but like Dottie my feeling is that I'm no more likely to be robbed today than any other day.

I do sometimes get nervous walking around with expensive camera gear hanging off me. 

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Maybe I am naive.  I am not fearful of walking around with cash.  I am thoughtful of it and walk with purpose.  Also, I am ready to scratch someone's eyes out at any moment.  LOL

I used to have to deliver payroll in some shitty neighborhoods.  Situational awareness is a thing.  
I was in Wilmington CA at and had a stack of payroll checks. Parking was bad so I had to park about a block away.   I saw a dude walking in the opposite side of the street quickly cross when he passed me and was coming up quick behind me. Sensing he was gonna rob me or snatch the checks & run I turned, threw the checks in the ground & said let’s go mutherfucker!
Dude turned and took off! 

• Awesome 2

7 hours ago, smudge said:

I am nervous with more than $40 in my pocket.

I always carry $100 - $200: I never know when I going to be asked to pitch-in for something or, when a restaurant only allows one check per table, am paying for a few people and have to give money to whoever's paying the bill with a credit card, etc.

Ever since I attended college at IIT in the South Side of Chicago, I've carried my wallet in a front pocket.

• Awesome 1