Words for the forum

maddmaxx

Gardyloo. This is actually a Scottish term, but it sounds really nifty! The definition is a funny and gross one; this is what people living in Edinburgh shouted out their windows as a warning before dumping their slop buckets out of their windows. At least they gave a little bit of a warning to those below!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Taradiddle. This word references someone or something that is filled with pretentious nonsense or something that is a lie. A great example of this is that classic fisherman’s tale of how big the fish he caught was. Usually the fisherman is lying or at least exaggerating about the fish, especially if he (or she) didn’t keep the fish.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Gardyloo. This is actually a Scottish term, but it sounds really nifty! The definition is a funny and gross one; this is what people living in Edinburgh shouted out their windows as a warning before dumping their slop buckets out of their windows. At least they gave a little bit of a warning to those below!

I think that translates to "Look out below" in Greenville

Thanks for the list. New words are always fun.

When I was going to grad school at IIT in the 70's, the Illinois College of Optometry was part of it and I could finally afford contact lenses through it on my Teaching Assistant's salary.  The optometry student working on me had a couple fellow students stop by and say he was lucky to have an IIT grad student as a patient - the rest were working on "NBW's."

I asked what an NBW was and was told, "People from the community: No Brain Waves."

When I ended up teaching the gifted high school kids in Chemistry and Physics and one would say something stupid, I'd say, "Keep that up and we'll move you down to the NBW classes. "

They learned what it stood for and soon the elite kids used NBW as a secret code to mock the other kids. I didn't know whether to laugh or be ashamed. I laughed since it was mostly being used on bullies and egotists.  I wonder if it's still being used there.

Ratoon. Don’t worry, this isn’t referring to a raccoon and rat mix breed or an ROUS (rodents of unusual size), it is, in fact, referring to that small shoot or growth that comes from the root of a plant. You will see a lot of these in the spring and summer as things are growing.

This was a sneaky twofer as you also got the acronym ROUS for free.

• Heart 1

Poppycock (ˈpɒpɪkɒk)

Have you ever listened to somebody trying to talk about something that they know absolutely nothing about? Like, you know that what they’re saying is completely untrue, yet they insist on continuing to talk? Or where someone has told you some so-called facts that are totally wrong?

It’s highly likely that they’re talking poppycock!

No laughing! Poppycock has nothing to do with poppies (a type of flower) or cocks (a male bird and a slang term for a man’s intimate body parts!)
Poppycock actually came from the Dutch word pappekak, which is made from pap (soft) and kak (poop!). It’s been part of English since the 1800’s.

• 4 years later...