Why are razors so damn expensive?

ChrisL

I have one of those fancy Schick razors but the cartridges were so damn expensive I switched to disposables.  But it seems even those are getting pricy so I got a bulk buy on the fancy ones again and it was still $40 something bucks.

Why are razors so damn expensive anyway!?!?

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have one of those fancy Schick razors but the cartridges were so damn expensive I switched to disposables.  But it seems even those are getting pricy so I got a bulk buy on the fancy ones again and it was still $40 something bucks.

I was thinking that the other day mainly because it was a scam starting in the early 90s with the Mach razors, and carried into the new millennia, but then a bunch of seemingly cheaper options were coming out, and I thought for sure the big guys - Gilette and Schick - would lower their prices. I think they actually increased them by 30+%.  

I'm all electric these days, so don't care.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It's hard to make a dull edge sharp.

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I go with a name brand 3 blade disposable and can usually get them for around $1.50 to 2.00 each in a multi pack.  Get a few weeks out of each razor to maybe $5.00 / 6.00 per month.  I can live with that.

I ran out of disposables and so broke out the schick that had been sitting for well over a year and the blade was already going.  I could tell the difference between an old schick & new disposable so didn’t mind paying a bit more for the replacement cartridges. 
The new schick cartridge was I used this morning was smooooooth!

I used the Track II for decades and it seems the blades got fancier and hella more expensive...

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I was thinking that the other day mainly because it was a scam starting in the early 90s with the Mach razors, and carried into the new millennia, but then a bunch of seemingly cheaper options were coming out, and I thought for sure the big guys - Gilette and Schick - would lower their prices. I think they actually increased them by 30+%.  

I'm all electric these days, so don't care.

I got one as a gift years ago and got terrible razor burn on my neck so have been a blade guy ever since.  My dad & brothers use/used electric though.  I was the oddball...

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I got one as a gift years ago and got terrible razor burn on my neck so have been a blade guy ever since.  My dad & brothers use/used electric though.  I was the oddball...

I roll with a beard, so I am trimming that regularly with the electric already.  I went decades with the Gillette Mach series, but it was so nutso the cost for them - even buying at Costco.  

I use the dollar shave club.  The razor blades themselves are fairly cheap.  But they get you with the other shit.  The face scrub and shave gel and after shave cream.  Of course you don't have to buy that shit, but it's dope and you get hooked.  It is good shit, and it is so convenient.  Just comes right to your house.  

20 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Grow a beard, it’s more natural anyway.

Yeah, a little shaving high on each cheek and a low line from lobe to lobe. 

FWIW, if you dry off the blade after each use, it’s supposed to increase longevity. Also, a drop of baby oil is supposed to help. 

2 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Yeah, a little shaving high on each cheek and a low line from lobe to lobe. 

Yeah, that's how it's done.

I buy Gillette Sensitive disposable because they last longer.  Most days I dry shave and a blade lasts me most of a month.  I buy a 4 pack about 3 times a year.