Should I be happy or sad?

ChrisL

Had a situation occur yesterday and I really don’t know how to feel about it.

My niece & nephew have been busting their ass at my daughters the past few weekends.  As there isn’t much they needed me to do I offered to make them a favorite dish that my mom would make for them. As a side note my brother moved in with my mom for a couple of years after his divorce so they lived with my mom for a while. 

Both requested Mac n cheese “like how Oma made it” which I know how to make so made a bunch so they could have enough and take some home.  I also made a salad that my mom always made.  
My niece started crying while eating her Mac n cheese and I said ahh, bring back memories?  Yeah tastes just like Omas but how come our dad doesn’t cook for us??  Sorry kid, yeah I dunno... My nephew said yeah how come dad doesn’t make us food like this to which my daughter said my dad cooks us dinner every Sunday!  Niece really starts to loose it...  

I know my brother is having issues with his wife demanding his time at the expense of his kids & granddaughter so I get he’s stuck between a rock & hard place but damn... I was happy to make them a meal from their childhood but feel bad I opened a wound with my niece.

• Hugs 2

Both I 'spose.  But you should roll with the happy. :)  Cooking is remarkably individualistic.  People seem to either love or hate doing it.  I just get writer's block when trying to come up with a meal.  But when I finally do buckle down and do it I am just aboot always happy with the results. :)

• Heart 3

I agree with Roadsue.  Does the Dad do other things with them?  Or is he pretty distant?  People have different skills and show and receive love differently.  Your brother may not have the same emotional connection to the food, so it may not seem like a way of showing affection.    If it's not just a matter of viewing food differently, and he's generally not as connected with them, then it's extra special that you're making such a nice effort with them.

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I agree with Roadsue.  Does the Dad do other things with them?  Or is he pretty distant?  People have different skills and show and receive love differently.  Your brother may not have the same emotional connection to the food, so it may not seem like a way of showing affection.    If it's not just a matter of viewing food differently, and he's generally not as connected with them, then it's extra special that you're making such a nice effort with them.

It’s been difficult and I won’t get into it all here. My brother knows how to cook some things but he doesn’t really cook so that’s part of it.  There is also drama between his current wife and his kids and they don’t feel comfortable there and she has a royal fit when he tries to do things or help his kids.  
My brother is caught between a rock & hard place with his wife & kids. Sucks too as all three of his adult children & grand daughter have been hanging out with us the past 3 weekends and he can’t/won’t join us...

• Sad 1

It's sad for them that he seems to be choosing his wife over them, but that makes these interactions with you all the more important. It's nice that you can share parts of their heritage with them.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Had a situation occur yesterday and I really don’t know how to feel about it.

My niece & nephew have been busting their ass at my daughters the past few weekends.  As there isn’t much they needed me to do I offered to make them a favorite dish that my mom would make for them. As a side note my brother moved in with my mom for a couple of years after his divorce so they lived with my mom for a while. 

Both requested Mac n cheese “like how Oma made it” which I know how to make so made a bunch so they could have enough and take some home.  I also made a salad that my mom always made.  
My niece started crying while eating her Mac n cheese and I said ahh, bring back memories?  Yeah tastes just like Omas but how come our dad doesn’t cook for us??  Sorry kid, yeah I dunno... My nephew said yeah how come dad doesn’t make us food like this to which my daughter said my dad cooks us dinner every Sunday!  Niece really starts to loose it...  

I know my brother is having issues with his wife demanding his time at the expense of his kids & granddaughter so I get he’s stuck between a rock & hard place but damn... I was happy to make them a meal from their childhood but feel bad I opened a wound with my niece.

I'm sorry for this delicate situation, Chris. 

But hope you enjoyed making and serving the dish for them.  You're the kind uncle and best be just that forever.  They appreciate that...obviously.