Tuesday moving toward this Holiday Weekend?

Razors Edge

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

No long weekend.  Quit being a slacker.

Screw that noise.  If your company doesn't celebrate Veteran's Day, I can't help you.

We've got enough veterans in my family, it's nice to have a day to appreciate them for their service. Heck, we have vets here too, and I appreciate them as well!

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Screw that noise.  If your company doesn't celebrate Veteran's Day, I can't help you.

We've got enough veterans in my family, it's nice to have a day to appreciate them for their service. Heck, we have vets here too, and I appreciate them as well!

We should make Veteran's Day a paid holiday and not celebrate the sacrifices of our heroes just like most folks do on Memorial Day. I don't at all approve, endorse, or support the latter -- but I like the idea of Kazabooboo and his kin paying out more to the good folks of this country.

23 minutes ago, Dottie said:

We should make Veteran's Day a paid holiday

Monday - Veteran's Day - is a paid holiday.  Well, it is for folks who get paid holidays.  But for the folks who don't get paid holidays, it just like any other day of the week/month/year.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Monday - Veteran's Day - is a paid holiday.  Well, it is for folks who get paid holidays.  But for the folks who don't get paid holidays, it just like any other day of the week/month/year.

Wrong, booger breath.

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Get a job in the private sector, Moran. Wait. You are private. What's the difference between your private company and mine? Oh yeah. Yours isn't headquartered in Texas.

4 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

In Canada, Nov 11 is known as Remembrance Day, or Armistice Day. In some provinces, it is a statutory  holiday, but not here in Ontario.

It also happens to be my birthday.

It was my Father In Law's birthday as well.

And here in the states it is also known as Remembrance Day and also Armistice Day.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That's what I would get in high school working at the grocery store on a national holiday.

That right there is really great to know.  I don't know if you could have made it through my day without knowing that.  I certainly know that I couldn't work through Monday the 11th without that important bit of knowledge.

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

In Canada, Nov 11 is known as Remembrance Day, or Armistice Day. In some provinces, it is a statutory  holiday, but not here in Ontario.

55 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

And here in the states it is also known as Remembrance Day and also Armistice Day.

That’s how the holiday originated but later changed to recognize all vets.

9 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

That right there is really great to know.  I don't know if you could have made it through my day without knowing that.  I certainly know that I couldn't work through Monday the 11th without that important bit of knowledge.

No problem! I'm here to help :)  Except on Monday when I will be off. 

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I get paid holidays. But not that one.

i get:

NYD

MLK

A rebranded version of President’s Day, now called “Great American’s Day”.

Memorial Day

Independence Day

Labor Day

Thanksgiving

Black Friday

xmas eve

Xmas Day

Going to be cool and snowy here over the weekend. Working part of the day Saturday to help a volunteer group finish up a new ski trail. Hope to get some hunting in too.

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I get paid holidays. But not that one.

i get:

NYD

MLK

A rebranded version of President’s Day, now called “Great American’s Day”.

Memorial Day

Independence Day

Labor Day

Thanksgiving

Black Friday

xmas eve

Xmas Day

So you trade VETERANS DAY for BLACK FRIDAY????

OMFG!

10 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Do you go to a graveyard or call up any of your veteran friends on Memorial Day?

Good news is I don't have any folks I knew who died in combat. Plenty who have been in combat and who have served in both war and peace.  Family and friends who are vets will get double appreciation on Veterans Day, so I think I'm covered there too.  How about you? You just lump the holidays together or just focus on the shopping?

Just a recap, though, to help folks sort out the apparently confusing US federal holiday called "Veterans Day" (from Wiki):

Veterans Day (originally known as Armistice Day) is a federal holiday in the United States observed annually on November 11, for honoring military veterans, that is, persons who have served in the United States Armed Forces (and were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable)[1].[2] It coincides with other holidays including Armistice Day and Remembrance Day which are celebrated in other countries that mark the anniversary of the end of World War I. Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when the Armistice with Germany went into effect. At the urging of major U.S. veteran organizations, Armistice Day was renamed Veterans Day in 1954.

Veterans Day is distinct from Memorial Day, a U.S. public holiday in May. Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, while Memorial Day honors those who have died while in military service.[3] There is another military holiday, Armed Forces Day, a minor U.S. remembrance that also occurs in May, which honors those currently serving in the U.S. military.

-------------------------------------------

It is distinct from "Memorial Day" (also from Wiki):

Memorial Day (previously but now seldom called Decoration Day) is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering and honoring the military personnel who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.[1] The holiday is now observed on the last Monday of May, Memorial Day having been observed on May 30 from 1868 to 1970.[2]

Many people visit cemeteries and memorials on Memorial Day, particularly to honor those who died in military service. Many volunteers place an American flag on each grave in national cemeteries.

Memorial Day is considered the unofficial start of summer in the United States,[3] while Labor Day marks the unofficial start of Autumn on the first Monday of September.

Two other days celebrate those who serve or have served in the U.S. military: Veterans Day, which celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans;[4] and Armed Forces Day, a minor U.S. remembrance celebrated earlier in May, specifically honoring those currently serving in the U.S. military.

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Good news is I don't have any folks I knew who died in combat. Plenty who have been in combat and who have served in both war and peace.  Family and friends who are vets will get double appreciation on Veterans Day.

Remember Memorial Day is vastly different than Veterans Day.  

Veterans Day is for all of those who served in peace and in conflict both living & dead.  Memorial Day is a sacred day for those who were killed in theater during combat.  Huge difference and should never be lumped together.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Good news is I don't have any folks I knew who died in combat. Plenty who have been in combat and who have served in both war and peace.  Family and friends who are vets will get double appreciation on Veterans Day, so I think I'm covered there too.  How about you? You just lump the holidays together or just focus on the shopping?

I don't shop.  Just say no to Black Friday which has now become Black Thursday/Friday.  My dad is a Korean War vet but never took up the military identity.  I know more friends of friends who are serving and I'm grateful for that.  I try to give my respect to them in my quiet times during those days.  Otherwise, it's pretty much another day. I am grateful it's not me getting shot at. But sometimes I think some of these advertisers are worse than an actual 'armed' force.

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Remember Memorial Day is vastly different than Veterans Day.  

Veterans Day is for all of those who served in peace and in conflict both living & dead.  Memorial Day is a sacred day for those who were killed in theater during combat.  Huge difference and should never be lumped together.

Exactly. I'm always amazed folks mix them up. Not sure how or why, but they do.

In any case, you're a veteran, so I thank you for your service!

• Awesome 1

21 minutes ago, Dottie said:

But get serious.  They overlap.

They really don’t.  

Those who died in combat technically died on active duty and so are not veterans.  Veterans who served in combat and died later are technically not recognized on Memorial Day.

Distinct holidays honoring different people.  

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

They really don’t.  

Those who died in combat technically died on active duty and so are not veterans.  Veterans who served in combat and died later are technically not recognized on Memorial Day.

Distinct holidays honoring different people.  

He's just being a dolt.

Having laid to rest countless service members in Arlington worked details at the Tombs of The Unknown Soldier on Memorial Day the holiday has special meaning to me.

I can honestly give a rats ass about Veterans Day.  A shit ton of people did what I did.  Very few people gave all so Memorial Day should never be lumped in with Veterans Day.    

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Having laid to rest countless service members in Arlington worked details at the Tombs of The Unknown Soldier on Memorial Day the holiday has special meaning to me.

I can honestly give a rats ass about Veterans Day.  A shit ton of people did what I did.  Very few people gave all so Memorial Day should never be lumped in with Veterans Day.    

I mean absolutely no disrespect when I say this and I say it while thanking you for your service, but there are a whole bunch of vets that did more than that and they do deserve to be honored.  Not all paid with their life and many wish they had.  My GF was in the trenches in WWI, my favorite uncle was a paratrooper on the islands in the Pacific in WWII, my dad was an officer on an aircraft carrier.  My sister did 4 years in the Army in the 70s and my little brother did 20 years in the Army.  My FIL was in the Navy on troop transports during WWII and my BIL was in the Army during Nam.  I have friends that were in the Special Forces during Nam (with their own horrors) and we have a family friend that is still MIA from there.  I have the utmost respect for all of you and Veterans Day is a day to remember that.

3 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

So, do you have plans for your long birthday weekend?

50 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I mean absolutely no disrespect when I say this and I say it while thanking you for your service, but there are a whole bunch of vets that did more than that and they do deserve to be honored.  Not all paid with their life and many wish they had.  My GF was in the trenches in WWI, my favorite uncle was a paratrooper on the islands in the Pacific in WWII, my dad was an officer on an aircraft carrier.  My sister did 4 years in the Army in the 70s and my little brother did 20 years in the Army.  My FIL was in the Navy on troop transports during WWII and my BIL was in the Army during Nam.  I have friends that were in the Special Forces during Nam (with their own horrors) and we have a family friend that is still MIA from there.  I have the utmost respect for all of you and Veterans Day is a day to remember that.

It’s not commonly known that Vets are grouped by those who served during time of conflict and those who served.  
I wish there was a classification of Vets broken down by:

1. Those who served

2. Those who served in theater during time of war/conflict.  You could technically break this down to troops who actually were in the shit and those who were in the rear but that would be too hard to break down.  So all of the REMF’s can take credit.

Those who served during conflict/war but were not in theater really are in the first group.

• Heart 1