Auto loans

dinneR

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Live close to work and the car issue becomes non existent. 

Our truck is more for fun and not a necessity for living. I can get to grocery, hospital or work with less than an hour gentle walk. 

Wanna be rich or feel rich? Don’t have kids. Brutal honesty there. 

We'll all quickly sell our houses and move in next door to work.

But then..........inexpensive houses aren't near work here.

You can save now or you can save later.

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Live close to work and the car issue becomes non existent. 

Our truck is more for fun and not a necessity for living. I can get to grocery, hospital or work with less than an hour gentle walk. 

Wanna be rich or feel rich? Don’t have kids. Brutal honesty there. 

This is what I mean about choices. We choose where to live and work. It's not a bad thing, but some people choose to live within walking, busing, or biking distance to a job. Others don't. If you don't, it will cost you time and money.

Personally, I don't like spending money on cars, maintenance, gas etc. I'd rather have my free time and spend my money on other things.

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

We'll all quickly sell our houses and move in next door to work.

But then..........inexpensive houses aren't near work here.

You can save now or you can save later.

You act like you don't have a choice in the matter. You choose to keep up with the Joneses. I save money by living close to work. 

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

You act like you don't have a choice in the matter. You choose to keep up with the Joneses. I save money by living close to work. 

I don't.  I moved here over 30 years ago when I could afford to move here and now that the house is paid for it would seem to be foolish to sell it and move to a more expensive location just to avoid purchasing a reliable car.  I'm not keeping up with the Joneses.  They are the one's who can afford to live near work.

Now my wife works within 5 miles of the house but as a two time cancer survivor I'm not about to tell her to walk or ride at the age of 66.  I was the one who worked farther away because........you see there just aren't that many locations for a military laser designer to work.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I don't.  I moved here over 30 years ago when I could afford to move here and now that the house is paid for it would seem to be foolish to sell it and move to a more expensive location just to avoid purchasing a reliable car.  I'm not keeping up with the Joneses.  They are the one's who can afford to live near work.

Now my wife works within 5 miles of the house but as a two time cancer survivor I'm not about to tell her to walk or ride at the age of 66.  I was the one who worked farther away because........you see there just aren't that many locations for a military laser designer to work.

No choice? Who made you make this decision? Big Brother, the Gov't, Jsharr? I'm not saying you made a bad choice or you should change your choice, but you did make a choice. Or do you not believe in freewill?

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Another biker who believes that bicycle commuting as a blanket answer works for everybody.

Not even close. It's as if reading comprehension is not something you possess.

I own a car. I drive a car. I've stated that repeatedly. 

I choose a bike as my primary mode of transportation because I enjoy riding a bike. It's a choice I made for me.

• Hugs 1

15 minutes ago, dennis said:

Our house is cheap. The reason it is cheap is because it is small. 

Another variable here is to live in a good town that will provide these kind of opportunities. Close to play, close to services, close to work, etc.

• Heart 1

I would love to have roads safe enough to commute by bike.  

I would also like to be unrestricted by things like duty day limits and mandatory rest to allow it. 

Of course, I would have to ship my suitcase to the airport.

I would love to have a respectable community close to work rather than strip clubs and warehouses. 

I would love to take public transit but don't want a two day commute. 

At the end of the day, I much prefer the convenience a cheap automobile brings. 

• Heart 2

when we were first married, we drove the car I bought new years earlier, and a $300 VW Beetle.  It's all we could do.  We were living paycheck to paycheck.  When the Beetle died, we bought a used truck for more than 10% of our income.  Any less and it would have been a piece of junk that needed tons of work.  The next couple cars were new, still more than 10%, loans were the only way to buy.  Cheap used trucks for the kids to drive.  I do my own work, so upkeep costs weren't much, and we keep cars for a long time.

Fast forward - 5 years ago I bought my new truck, by then we saved enough to pay cash.  It was far more than 10%, but we could afford it.  Just bought the Audi, again cash and more than 10%.  The 19 year old GTI will get about $5K of work, repairs and fun upgrades.  I'll keep it another 19 years.

Rules change.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, dennis said:

This is what I mean about choices. We choose where to live and work. It's not a bad thing, but some people choose to live within walking, busing, or biking distance to a job. Others don't. If you don't, it will cost you time and money.

Personally, I don't like spending money on cars, maintenance, gas etc. I'd rather have my free time and spend my money on other things.

And water! Who buys water when there are drinking fountains! ?

1 hour ago, 12string said:

when we were first married, we drove the car I bought new years earlier, and a $300 VW Beetle.  It's all we could do.  We were living paycheck to paycheck.  When the Beetle died, we bought a used truck for more than 10% of our income.  Any less and it would have been a piece of junk that needed tons of work.  The next couple cars were new, still more than 10%, loans were the only way to buy.  Cheap used trucks for the kids to drive.  I do my own work, so upkeep costs weren't much, and we keep cars for a long time.

Fast forward - 5 years ago I bought my new truck, by then we saved enough to pay cash.  It was far more than 10%, but we could afford it.  Just bought the Audi, again cash and more than 10%.  The 19 year old GTI will get about $5K of work, repairs and fun upgrades.  I'll keep it another 19 years.

Rules change.

I think as a guideline, 10% of your take-home pay for a car payment would be reasonable.  Pending other debt of course. 

Back when I was even broker.....

The contractor I was working for was having trouble with an old Chevy van. I fixed it for him a couple times, he took it to a professional mechanic buddy, it kept having issues. I bought it off him for 400.00, he had just spent 500 putting new tires on it, so as far as he was concerned I was buying a set of tires.

A bit of carburetor work and I was good to go, drove that van for several years. My boss, whom I had bought it from, started paying me an extra $50.00 a week to use it as a work vehicle. Made more than enough on that to cover the cost of the van, plus he was buying all my gas.

Told me at least a 100 times that he never would have sold it if he knew it would last so long   :D