Allen and the bread makers

Dirtyhip

@Allen

I am finding my rhythm with the mother.  I love, love, love your advice on feeding the waste product.  I have been successful in doing only one feeding, before I make our weekly loaf,  I feed the mother once a week, taking the discard out and feed the baby.  Then, the baby sits all day and doubles in volume.  That evening I start the no knead Bittman recipe with 1/3 of WW and one tbsp of vital gluten.  The next day I make the loaf.  This has been working perfectly.  I use 1 & 3/4 tsp of salt.  I do not weigh.  Life is too short to fret over a fraction of an ounce.  

So far so good.  The bread comes out great.  I will say that it probably is not as sour as you may like though.  It seems though, that I can get away with one feeding.  I assume that if the baby doubles, it has plenty of action.

?

17 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

What I like to add to my no-kneed rustic breads is about 2 feet of rosemary, chopped, and a handful of kalamata olives, also chopped.

I have done this, and it is good, but I didn't add the olives.  that sounds so lovely.  

Do you reduce salt, because the olives are salty?

Yes.  I reduce the salt for just that reason.  I can't tell you how much salt I put in.  Like you, I don't measure too carefully.  I give it two or three two turns of the salt grinder so whatever amount of salt that is.

I put the rosemary in right at the beginning so the oils have all the time to defuse into the dough.  I add the olives the last time I fold the dough over itself.

• Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

You can use the  no knead Bittman recipe Hip alluded to in the OP.  I'll post my full recipe when I get home.  It's a little more involved since it starts with a poolish. 

I start most mornings with a poolish.  Then I shower.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Dude! Now you are getting super weird on me. Wtf?

Yeah, food grade poison. 
You dip pretzels in a lye solution and it increases the Maillard reaction (things brown faster). It’s the secret ingredient for bagels and pretzels. You can watch them brown in the oven. 

67D8FF61-FA3E-4F79-B016-5303DED75623.jpeg

• Heart 1

Late to the party but tonight I used a cup of starter, three cups flour, and one.five cups water to get some dough started for weekend baking. Added a cup of flour and half a cup water to feed the starter jar. In the morning I’ll add two cups flour and salt to the dough. Plan to make two loaves on Sunday. This Is the dough 

image.jpg

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Tangy sourdough loaves fresh from the oven.

0D24E75C-2820-48DE-8EDE-6D7A1B2BF859.jpeg

Loving this. I am preheating now. Although, I can barely move. I got the seat to the lower bottom of my back. Endo. Pedal striked a big ass rock. There is a couple of black diamonds on the top of our park. I think I had some irrational exuberation. I went over the bars and when I hit the ground the bike sorta fell on top of me. The seat is what hit, I think?. I screamed on that one. I ripped my helmet off, took my pack off. Curled into a ball and about cried. I think it was more of a loud moaning sound. 

Fuck that trail. I hate it anyway. I’m done with it.

gonna make my husband lift the parchment paper into the pot and cover it.

44 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Loving this. I am preheating now. Although, I can barely move. I got the seat to the lower bottom of my back. Endo. Pedal striked a big ass rock. There is a couple of black diamonds on the top of our park. I think I had some irrational exuberation. I went over the bars and when I hit the ground the bike sorta fell on top of me. The seat is what hit, I think?. I screamed on that one. I ripped my helmet off, took my pack off. Curled into a ball and about cried. I think it was more of a loud moaning sound. 

Fuck that trail. I hate it anyway. I’m done with it.

gonna make my husband lift the parchment paper into the pot and cover it.

Sorry to hear this, hope you’re feeling better in the morning. I’m sure the bread will be good.

Bread came out well. He did fine. Although he almost tipped it instead of lifting...,, Ahhhhh not like that.

I told him the story of how I changed the way I do it months back. I specially said right before he did it to gently lift the paper and loaf carefully into the Dutch and cover it. Luckily I was standing right there.  

Almost deflated the entire loaf. 

The bread came out great but he insisted on cutting it to eat before it cooled a little. It’s gonna be more dry now, for the week. 

I am kinda done with with Saturday. First bad day in at least two months. When I have a bad day, I guess I am making it count with this one. 

• Hugs 1