Beer as a recovery drink

dinneR

Works for me.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/11/08/776797218/going-for-a-beer-run-could-a-brew-be-your-post-exercise-recovery-drink

A study from 2015, published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, found that "a moderate beer intake has no deleterious effects on markers of hydration in active individuals." In other words, a couple beers — especially ones with low alcohol — are OK, especially because beer, like sports drinks, contains carbs, electrolytes and sodium, which has been shown to help with fluid loss.

No one here would say they're drinking beer specifically to recover from the race. Mostly they echoed what Pedder said. They're going to drink beer anyway, so why not a lower-alcohol, lower-calorie can of suds that tastes good?

I am of the opposite camp. History and science will prove me correct. As scientific studies, over time, contradict earlier studies. I go with higher alcohol/calorie beers for recovery after physical exertion activities. A double IPA has 300-400 calories, 8-10% ABV and IBUs over 50 provide good antioxidants that do a body good. A DIPA will serve as a better recovery beverage than a Michelob Ultra; wait and see.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

Just now, Old#7 said:

I am of the opposite camp. History and science will prove me correct. As scientific studies, over time, contradict earlier studies. I go with higher alcohol/calorie beers for recovery after physical exertion activities. A double IPA has 300-400 calories, 8-10% ABV and IBUs over 50 provide good antioxidants that do a body good. A DIPA will serve as a better recovery beverage than a Michelob Ultra; wait and see.

Can Mich Ultra really be classified as a beer? It's just steps away from Zima.

Just now, dennis said:

Can Mich Ultra really be classified as a beer? It's just steps away from Zima.

I don’t really know; I’ve never tried it. I just see the ads where fit, buff athletes drink swill after a cycling, running, whatever event. I thought that was the “low calorie” beer the post referred to.

Just now, Old#7 said:

I don’t really know; I’ve never tried it. I just see the ads where fit, buff athletes drink swill after a cycling, running, whatever event. I thought that was the “low calorie” beer the post referred to.

The piece is about low alcohol craft beer.

Pedder was convinced that because active people were drinking beer anyway, they'd be especially interested in drinking beer targeted especially at them. His range of choices have an ABV, or alcohol by volume, of less than 5%, rare among today's craft beer.

Back when I was coaching high school cross country, a team captain name Ryan - who later got a track/cross country scholarship at UMBC - came to practice one day with a runners magazine containing an article on the advantage of beer for carb-loading, which is the practice of severe limiting food for 3 days before a race, then pigging-out on high-carb foods the night before the race. Allegedly, the body responds strongly to the need to replace the carb derivatives burned during fasting and stores more carb derivatives than normal when they're made available. A number of marathons had a spaghetti dinner the night before the race for that reason.

Ryan suggested we should have a party on the Friday nights before Saturday meets and consume lots of beer.

I told him I never bought into Carb Loading so no beer, but if bought into it he should eat lots of spinach because it has carbs and protein.

44 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I like Tecate Lite better than Miller Lite for lower-alcohol, lower-calorie beer.

I saw a very respectable looking woman on the subway drinking a Modelo Especiale from the can, no disguising it.  It was very strange, it didn't fit.  I am sure someone ticketed her for that relatively quickly.

• Confused 1