I got a bike for sale (can you all tell me what it's worth?)

Parr8hed

So bear with me, I am not really trying to sell a bike here but if anyone wants it we can talk.

Many of you may remember the dude that used to race that came down with an autoimmune disorder.  He came and helped me set up my bike for the iromman and seemed to enjoy living vicariously through me and my riding.  Then he died. 

So anyways, his widow (sounds weird to say) is a very close friend of mine and wants to sell all of his bike things.  It is important for her to get the items to people that will appreciate and use them.  I told her I would take everything and sell it hopefully to people that will enjoy it.

So I have a truck full of stuff to sort through and 3 bikes to sell.  First up is a Schwinn fastback.  It has 9 spd 105 on it.  Completely tricked out with carbon stem, carbon wing bars, a Bonti race lite carbon seat post and a selle italia carbon saddle.  FSA carbon crank and hand built mavic wheels on 105 hubs.

What would you think that this bike would be worth?  And if anyone is interested in it please let me know.

C55FEE5F-7BFA-426B-803D-DEDE27DDBFC0.jpg

It's got some nice bling on it, but the thing that drags the price down is the frame and the 9 speed drive train. It's a good entry level bike for someone looking to try out the sport without breaking the bank. You can buy a non Walmart entry level bike (think Fuji Newest) with 10 speed for about $600 new; no carbon bits and brick wheels, but similar frame. I would ask $500 and expect to get $400, give or take.

It's got some nice bling on it, but the thing that drags the price down is the frame and the 9 speed drive train. It's a good entry level bike for someone looking to try out the sport without breaking the bank. You can buy a non Walmart entry level bike (think Fuji Newest) with 10 speed for about $600 new; no carbon bits and brick wheels, but similar frame. I would ask $500 and expect to get $400, give or take.

Bob, I'm glad you answered 1st. I didn't want to be the one with bad news.

I think it's worth around $500, but you might be able to swap out the OEM parts and get close to that, and then sell the good stuff for nearly as much.

Those wheels and crankset should fetch about $150 each, and another $150 for the bar/stem combo. Maybe another $100 for the saddle and post if they are all in great shape.

Do you have the OEM parts?

I was going to say $500 myself.  The stem and bars are (sadly) too high-end for the rest of the bike, and the cranks are a little on the high side too.  The bike would be worth $400-450 with standard cranks, and an aluminum bar/stem, IMO.

It's a good bike --but the Schwinn pedigree drops the value a bit in the bike-snob world.  It's kind of like a sport coupe that someone put expensive rims, shocks, and exhaust on.  Not a bad ride, but the higher-end parts don't add a lot of value (though they don't take away, either).

Bob, I'm glad you answered 1st. I didn't want to be the one with bad news.

I think it's worth around $500, but you might be able to swap out the OEM parts and get close to that, and then sell the good stuff for nearly as much.

Those wheels and crankset should fetch about $150 each, and another $150 for the bar/stem combo. Maybe another $100 for the saddle and post if they are all in great shape.

Do you have the OEM parts?

I think that I most of the OEM parts are in the boxes.  I want to help her, but I am not switching parts out on an already rideable bike.  I'll go through boxes but I am of the opinion that the bike will sell easier with the bits on it.  I think that used carbon bits are a tough sell by themselves.  People don't trust them IMO.  (Though I would love to have them carbon bars on my cross bike...)

And for what it's worth I was going to list it for 700 and hope to get 600 so my assessment was not that far off. 

She's not really looking to make a ton of money on this stuff, just wants it gone but gone to someone that will use/appreciate it.

Suggest posting the frame size in case anyone here is interested in it.  Looks definitely too small for me, but you never know who else.

I bought my backup bike as the result of a buddy selling for a wife whose husband passed from brain cancer.