Arrested

Prophet Zacharia

16 minutes ago, wilbur said:

I just don't understand why people act the way they do.  Cooperate.  Most of the beatings cops dish out would be avoided if people just cooperated with the commands. 

Yeah, if you aren't an ass, cop probably just calmly informs you of the strange ordnance and lets you go.  Get adversarial, cop then has to question what you are hiding to be such an ass over something so minor.  Same reason you have police pursuits over minor traffic offenses, if you are willing to run over something minor, you might be guilty of something major to take such a risk.

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Looks like BART police which has been under fire in recent years for heavy handed tactics.  But you don’t see the initial contact where the guy most likely told the cop to fuck off & leave him alone.... Because that would be hard to defend too but that won’t draw clicks to your site...

Thats what we call a 148 arrest and I’ve done it several times.  I had a guy who was standing over a traffic accident making stupid comments. Oh damn that girl is fucked up. Damn Bitch gonna die.. I told the guy to leave twice and he didn’t so I arrested him.  I could have just cited & released but he was such a dick I made hem spend the night in jail.  
The cop will probably make the dude in the video do the same. 

And that's why I could not be a cop, it's yet another job you do have to deal with people and I would get fed up to the point, I'd just shoot them to just them up.

It seems that you can't bring food inside the station.  Strange ordinance.  

Didn't see the beginning of the confrontation, so it is hard to form an opinion.  Some laws are strange, but you have to obey them or you in for trouble.  

I will say that certain people are singled out for harsher punishments.  It is unfair.  I've witnessed it, and feel like I have been let go in similar situations.   

• Heart 2

51 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It seems that you can't bring food inside the station.  Strange ordinance.  

Didn't see the beginning of the confrontation, so it is hard to form an opinion.  Some laws are strange, but you have to obey them or you in for trouble.  

I will say that certain people are singled out for harsher punishments.  It is unfair.  I've witnessed it, and feel like I have been let go in similar situations.   

Well that’s the other side to the issue in that we didn’t see the whole situation. There may have been 20 people eating on the platform and that guy was singled out. Why??!  

We don’t know the whole story but someone wants us to look at this 10 second video & “react”...  

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Well that’s the other side to the issue in that we didn’t see the whole situation. There may have been 20 people eating on the platform and that guy was singled out. Why??!  

We don’t know the whole story but someone wants us to look at this 10 second video & “react”...  

And I don't even know what I am supposed to react to, looks like a normal dude to me who happens to have a big mouth and not know when to shut up.

40 minutes ago, Indy said:

And I don't even know what I am supposed to react to, looks like a normal dude to me who happens to have a big mouth and not know when to shut up.

Marc Lamont Hill wants you to react to an officer doing something that can’t be defended.  “How can anyone defend this?”

Is Marc Lamont Hill asking for possible explanations? It looks to me he’s just saying look at his cop harass this guy for eating a sandwich... 

21 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

This is his contention, that the cop singled him out for eating on the platform, something he and countless other people do daily while waiting for a train. 

Maybe, maybe not...  It looks like BART doesn’t allow eating on platforms or trains.

A733CCA8-F450-4581-A701-363B3D1EB733.png

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Maybe, maybe not...  It looks like BART doesn’t allow eating on platforms or trains.

A733CCA8-F450-4581-A701-363B3D1EB733.png

I have no doubt that eating is prohibited, just that it’s widely done.

There apparently was an “eat-in” protest where other riders ate their lunch on the platform in response to this arrest.

17 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

There apparently was an “eat-in” protest where other riders ate their lunch on the platform in response to this arrest.

It's all fun and games until some poor child dies from an exposure to a food allergen.

BTW, you can't eat on the trains here.

MARTA Rules:

What are the rules for eating and drinking on MARTA?

You’re allowed to eat and drink in bus and rail stations, but state law prohibits eating while traveling on MARTA trains and buses. That being said, feel free to carry food in closed containers and drink beverages in resealable plastic containers.

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Looks like BART police which has been under fire in recent years for heavy handed tactics.  But you don’t see the initial contact where the guy most likely told the cop to fuck off & leave him alone.... Because that would be hard to defend too but that won’t draw clicks to your site...

Thats what we call a 148 arrest and I’ve done it several times.  I had a guy who was standing over a traffic accident making stupid comments. Oh damn that girl is fucked up. Damn Bitch gonna die.. I told the guy to leave twice and he didn’t so I arrested him.  I could have just cited & released but he was such a dick I made hem spend the night in jail.  
The cop will probably make the dude in the video do the same. 

Thank you.

43 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Yeah that’s where it can get muddy.  Like speeding.... Everyone is doing it, why did you pull me over?  Doesn’t negate the fact that it’s against the law...  

There is also the whole “contempt of cop” thing too.  Yeah I know you can’t do it, everyone does it anyway and I don’t give a fuck there is a cop right there.  Watch me do it.   Just like the speeding analogy, If you are speeding, see a cop on the freeway & slow down you probably get left alone. If you see the cop & continue to speed you are getting pulled over.

I’m sure the dude is lawyering up... Pay day!

5 hours ago, wilbur said:

I just don't understand why people act the way they do.  Cooperate.  Most of the beatings cops dish out would be avoided if people just cooperated with the commands. 

Exactly.  When I was around 30 years-old, five fellow Jaycees and I were riding in my car, returning home to the Baltimore suburbs from a multi-chapter meeting in Southern Maryland. We came to an intersection of small, rural roads and suddenly four police cars appeared blocking each direction.  The police got out, drew their pistols behind their car doors, and a megaphone ordered us out of my car with our hands up.

We had done nothing wrong but guess what we did?  We got out of the car with our hands up!  DUH!  We weren't going to invite getting shot!

Almost as soon as we did one cop yelled, "It's not them!" and within seconds the police cars raced away with no explanation to us - apparently trying to find "them" before they got away.

We were a little shaken, but we figured the cops were trying to do their job, protect the public, and arrest the bad guys.  So we continued home no worse for the wear.

11 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Exactly.  When I was around 30 years-old, five fellow Jaycees and I were riding in my car, returning home to the Baltimore suburbs from a multi-chapter meeting in Southern Maryland. We came to an intersection of small, rural roads and suddenly four police cars appeared blocking each direction.  The police got out, drew their pistols behind their car doors, and a megaphone ordered us out of my car with our hands up.

We had done nothing wrong but guess what we did?  We got out of the car with our hands up!  DUH!  We weren't going to invite getting shot!

Almost as soon as we did one cop yelled, "It's not them!" and within seconds the police cars raced away with no explanation to us - apparently trying to find "them" before they got away.

We were a little shaken, but we figured the cops were trying to do their job, protect the public, and arrest the bad guys.  So we continued home no worse for the wear.

Heh-heh. That sounds like a few of the guys out for laughs after a FOP mixer.

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

I am sure that this is the whole story.   Nothing else happened prior to filming.

Exactly.  I find it amazing that people choose to believe that passersby just happen to be filming.  "Oh, look, a guy eating, I think I'll make a video".  No, something was happening already and THAT'S why the camera got turned on.

• Heart 1

44 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I’m not convinced eating on the platform is an  offense worthy of arrest. It seems more like something a person would get a ticket for. 

38 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Or better yet, a warning.

What triggered the whole thing was the eating.  What escalated the situation was the subjects failure to comply with a lawful request.    So he wasn’t arrested for eating a sandwich, it was the resisting arrest or 148 charge I referenced earlier.

I wonder what would have happened if the guy said OK officer, I didn’t know it was illegal so I’ll put it away & eat it later.  

14 minutes ago, 12string said:

Exactly.  I find it amazing that people choose to believe that passersby just happen to be filming.  "Oh, look, a guy eating, I think I'll make a video".  No, something was happening already and THAT'S why the camera got turned on.

The camera came on after the Police officer grabbed his backpack. 

The officer came to the platform due to a complaint of an intoxicated woman. When she wasn’t there, he turned his attention to the man eating his breakfast. It never should have turned into a hands-on incident. 

I had a friend that couldn't leave things alone. 

When Wo46 and I were newly married we lived a block or two from where the city would have summer festivals. Well there was a little fender bender near by and me and my buddy went to investigate. Well we just happen to have a beer in our hands and when the nice police officer said that we can not drink on the sidewalk I took 2 steps back Scott did not. Scott started arguing with the not so nice officer at this point. Mr. Officer gave Scott one more chance next thing I know is Scott is face down on the sidewalk in hand cuffs after fighting with 3 cops and all he had to do was take 2 steps back off the sidewalk and he could have finished his beer. 

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I had a friend that couldn't leave things alone. 

When Wo46 and I were newly married we lived a block or two from where the city would have summer festivals. Well there was a little fender bender near by and me and my buddy went to investigate. Well we just happen to have a beer in our hands and when the nice police officer said that we can not drink on the sidewalk I took 2 steps back Scott did not. Scott started arguing with the not so nice officer at this point. Mr. Officer gave Scott one more chance next thing I know is Scott is face down on the sidewalk in hand cuffs after fighting with 3 cops and all he had to do was take 2 steps back off the sidewalk and he could have finished his beer. 

Yeah, that was Bo2. Everything always had to be an argument. He was always just minding his own bidness and the cops hassled him for NO REASON. Nothing was ever his fault. Fo2 enabled him so much I think there's a photo in a textbook somewhere with Fo2's photo next to "Enabler".

• Heart 2