jsharr

.270 is a great cartridge.  Growing up I did a lot of varmint hunting.  .270 was popular.  A necked down 30-06.  Faster and flatter.  I shot a 25-06. necked down .270.  Flatter and faster.

A good friend shot a custom .270 .  Full walnut stock and competition grade SS barrel.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

.270 is a great cartridge.  Growing up I did a lot of varmint hunting.  .270 was popular.  A necked down 30-06.  Faster and flatter.  I shot a 25-06. necked down .270.  Flatter and faster.

A good friend shot a custom .270 .  Full walnut stock and competition grade SS barrel.

One could do worse than a Winchester Model 70 in .270.  

I usually hunt with a 30-30. Generally shots under 50 yards and plenty of knockdown power. I do own a .270 Weatherby. It was given to me by the wife of one of the guys that we used to have a hunting camp with. He died while hunting with us from a heart attack. That was almost 40 years ago. 

12 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

The Meter failed the recognize that this crap post was a Parrot-T.

And the meter says...... 7.00

It’s better as a gun discussion.

• Heart 1
  • Envious 1

Shot a lot during adolescence, primarily .22 as that and shotgun was the only ammunition I could legally buy before 21. While in the military I qualified as expert marksman in both rifle and pistol. But one incident I remember fondly prior to the military. During the first two years of college I worked the 3-11 shift at an inpatient mental health center, we had a psych patient who was a marine buddy of one my co-worker, and actually taught a self defense in-service to staff while a patient. Even on 3200mg of Thorazine a day (800 QID), he could do more pushup than I could!  When he was stationed in the Canal Zone as an MP and taught a more advanced self defense/hand to hand/silent combat, had nothing to do between classes but target practice all day. As a civilian. that dude lived on the edge, a crop duster pilot, and  some flights in Central America, while not into drugs, rumored to run guns.  The three of us went to a rural, unregulated firing range and the two of us had .22 pistols and he had a government issue .45 that he acquired somehow. We set some empty beer cans up at the 25 yard line and ours and another person's jaw drop when he takes them out rapid fire with a .45. Looking at them, he wasn't hitting in the dirt and knocking over...but through each can.

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

Shot a lot during adolescence, primarily .22 as that and shotgun was the only ammunition I could legally buy before 21. While in the military I qualified as expert marksman in both rifle and pistol. But one incident I remember fondly prior to the military. During the first two years of college I worked the 3-11 shift at an inpatient mental health center, we had a psych patient who was a marine buddy of one my co-worker, and actually taught a self defense in-service to staff while a patient. Even on 3200mg of Thorazine a day (800 QID), he could do more pushup than I could!  When he was stationed in the Canal Zone as an MP and taught a more advanced self defense/hand to hand/silent combat, had nothing to do between classes but target practice all day. As a civilian. that dude lived on the edge, a crop duster pilot, and  some flights in Central America, while not into drugs, rumored to run guns.  The three of us went to a rural, unregulated firing range and the two of us had .22 pistols and he had a government issue .45 that he acquired somehow. We set some empty beer cans up at the 25 yard line and ours and another person's jaw drop when he takes them out rapid fire with a .45. Looking at them, he wasn't hitting in the dirt and knocking over...but through each can.

That reminds me, the .22 caliber is missing off the above pic.  

Seems like he was a scary mofo!

13 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

That reminds me, the .22 caliber is missing off the above pic.  

Seems like he was a scary mofo!

The .22 is maligned because of it's lack of raw knock down power, but doctors I knew preferred to repair the blunt force of the larger caliber to the high velocity heat inducing searing wound of a .22, particularly with the expansion of hollow points. Or as one doctor put it - each cell in your body is like a miniature egg, and you know what happens to an egg when you fry it with heat.

Concerning the individual, he was a 'good' guy if you were his friend. However, when police responded to a complaint he was also known for picking them up and chunking them out his living room plate glass window. This was before tasers.  Concerning the inpatient self defense training, I still remember his opening line - "I an not going to get hurt, and neither is the other guy if I can at all help it." In terms of the actual instruction, keeping an escape open, location of pressure points and gaining control, procedures with a belt vs a knife, and of course keys as brass knuckles. It served me well and actually had to utilize 2 (escape path, and keys in pocket) when at an open house as a Realtor when a shady individual came in clearly unable o buy a home (just foreclosed on), and rambling speech with eyes looking all around.