I need you to find a job for a friend in the US..

Wilbur

He's 85 ….he should retire anyway.  

His claim that not enough immigrants wears poppy. That they don't understand sacrifice..freedom (yea, well some came from war bombed etc. countries).

I guess he would be referring to  me....from looking at me? Right?  Just playing into his judgemental remark.  I simply didn't wear a poppy this year. I guess I forgot.

I've visited the Chinese-CAnadian Military Museum in downtown Vancouver..twice.  The museum recognizes the contributions of Chinese-Canadians who fought for CAnada….in WW I and WWII. One of the soldiers, Douglas Jung became the lst Chinese-Canadian member of Parliament who pushed for the Chinese-CAnadians right to vote in 1947.  

Imagine enlisting to fight for your country, some dying and you didn't even have the right to vote at the time in the country you laid down your life.

This is how I remember Remembrance Day and sacrifice from long ago. http://www.ccmms.ca/  Not Cherry's remarks.

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I've visited the Chinese-CAnadian Military Museum in downtown Vancouver..twice.  The museum recognizes the contributions of Chinese-Canadians who fought for CAnada….in WW I and WWII. One of the soldiers, Douglas Jung became the lst Chinese-Canadian member of Parliament who pushed for the Chinese-CAnadians right to vote in 1947.  

Imagine enlisting to fight for your country, some dying and you didn't even have the right to vote at the time in the country you laid down your life.

Imagine how the Japanese Americans felt fighting the Nazis while their families were interned.  Or maybe American Indians forced to live on reservations having lost their lands to the govt they are serving. Or black soldiers who could die for their country but couldn’t use white bathrooms.

America scrood the pooch on this one too..

2 minutes ago, wilbur said:

That comment would get you fired in the right company.  Sued if you were a manager.  :)  See how easy it is to say the wrong thing? 

Also an interesting comment from someone concerned about age discrimination.  A stupid comment sure but is his age relevant?

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Imagine how the Japanese Americans felt fighting the Nazis while their families were interned.  Or maybe American Indians forced to live on reservations having lost their lands to the govt they are serving. Or black soldiers who could die for their country but couldn’t use white bathrooms.

America scrood the pooch on this one too..

I know someone in every group you listed. 

From what they say, they’d do it again. 

• Awesome 1

45 minutes ago, wilbur said:

That comment would get you fired in the right company.  Sued if you were a manager.  :)  See how easy it is to say the wrong thing? 

I have a better idea...Don Cherry meet my mother. My mother is 85 also. ?  She never returned to China....so dedicated to Canada that she sensed all the people she loved and left in china when she was 23 yrs....many would be dead, so changed, etc.  

As for working into 80's...… I did work for judges in the Ontario Courts of which several were in their mid to late 70's.  It was impressive to meet several high powered judges whose names were in the national press and who were very conscientious, bright and graceful people. These people were incredible role models. I feel privileged to have met and worked for such people.

The judges across Canada do have the option to work until early 70's..  And we know both Supreme Courts in CAnada and US do have sitting judges well into their 70's.

Despite all this, I do tend to believe a lot of people don't perform at the same high energy level for sustained time full time, into their 70's where there is high stress level of being accountable to the public, being interviewed, etc.

I will be happy to reach retirement at 65 and step gracefully aside.  Already the next generation are super go-getters, etc.  I'm not talking about GenX, more millennials.

1 minute ago, Forum Administrator said:

He can keep his anti-immigrant talk up north.  We have plenty of that in the US.  

If you listen to the media sound bites, you think he is talking at immigrants.  If you see the whole segment, you think he is talking about Torontonians and Mississaugans.  I like that he refuses to apologize and says he said nothing racist and nothing wrong.  My lawyer says he is going to clean up on this one.  I hope he is right. 

• Awesome 1