Hey, youz gun owners -- have you ever used it on a human being?

Dottleshead

Yes, but at a range that was not conducive to seeing its immediate effect. 

(I am not currently a gun owner, and that (above) was when I was in service. I owned a few guns for some years after leaving, but the ended up collecting dust after I simply lost interest in shooting due to the expense and the culture of it). 

• Heart 2

Sometimes and ounce of prevention is better than 230 grains of cure. There are certain places in this state where it's a good idea to carry, but only if you know how to use it and are willing to do so. 

Whenever I go out into the Bradshaw Mountains, especially alone, I open carry but I've never had to upholster my firearm. I did have a couple of pretty questionable characters start walking toward me one day, but when I casually turned so they could see I was armed, they abruptly changed direction. I could see that both had large knives in scabbards on their belts (one guy had a hand on his), but didn't see any indication of guns.

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

when I casually turned so they could see I was armed, they abruptly changed direction. I could see that both had large knives in scabbards on their belts (one guy had a hand on his), but didn't see any indication of guns.

At least they were smart enough to not bring knives to a gun fight...

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

Whenever I go out into the Bradshaw Mountains, especially alone, I open carry but I've never had to upholster my firearm.

Yeah, that's about the only time I'd ever obtain a firearm again and for this reason. I'll never go into a large forested area without a weapon. My chief concern is people and the second concern would be defense against any animals that are bigger than I'd care for. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Olas Nah said:

I would venture they were probably patrolling their... land... 

There are a few "less than legal" enterprises going on in those mountains. The plot of my second book revolves around certain agricultural activities popular in the area. There's also a lot of prospecting up there. Those guys get very suspicious of anyone they don't know.

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

BB guns, paintball guns, bottle rocked fired from BB gun, but no real ammo

We used to take the blank adapters off our M16’s and stick a blank backwards into the barrel. We’d then fire off another blank and launch the casing a good 15-20 yards with reasonable accuracy and with enough velocity to leave a mark.  

Ah good times...

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Olas Nah said:

Yeah, that's about the only time I'd ever obtain a firearm again and for this reason. I'll never go into a large forested area without a weapon. My chief concern is people and the second concern would be defense against any animals that are bigger than I'd care for. 

Seriously? I ride through National Park or National Forest backcountry multiple times a week. The only reason for a gun would be hunting. 

• Heart 1

does nail gun count? Horseplay in the factory BITD

https://www.ktvz.com/news/football-fight-east-of-bend-leads-to-shooting-arrest/1140625185

at least one Bend resident can answer in the affirmative. Watching LSU-Bama they argue. One is walking away and suspect pops him. It's birdshot so I don't know if that counts

8 hours ago, ChrisL said:

We used to take the blank adapters off our M16’s and stick a blank backwards into the barrel. We’d then fire off another blank and launch the casing a good 15-20 yards with reasonable accuracy and with enough velocity to leave a mark.  

Ah good times...

I remember doing that! 

• Heart 1

Aimed once, though it was unloaded, not that the person it was pointed at new that.  Dealing with trespassers/poachers, we were the Conservation Officers backup and did what he said, follow him back to the woods.  He acted like he was their best buddy and we were crazed locals that just wanted to shoot them where they stood.  Never seen guys so happy to get into a police car and hauled off.

And I have had a gun pulled on me, crazed idiot in Fort Wayne that got pissed off because I wasn't driving fast enough for him.

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

And I have had a gun pulled on me, crazed idiot in Fort Wayne that got pissed off because I wasn't driving fast enough for him.

WoScrapr & I stopped in Fort wayne last summer. I wasn't carrying at that time.

I was a bit on edge there and just wanted to get back on the highway & into Grand Rapids

Just now, Scrapr said:

WoScrapr & I stopped in Fort wayne last summer. I wasn't carrying at that time.

I was a bit on edge there and just wanted to get back on the highway & into Grand Rapids

Depending on where you are at in the Fort, it's justifiable.  Like most decent sized cities, there are really nice areas and areas you really don't want to be in regardless of time of the day.

• Heart 2

I have pulled the 45 and chambered a round when a security inspector went too far while I was a weapons guard.  When he saw me backing away to get clear and saw the round go in he got real quite, real cooperative, real quick.

The only time I needed to pull the trigger the weapon was already knocked out of my hand.  Fortunately the other guy lost his in the same collision in the dark.

I was really into catching fish, and guns.

Fishing at night near a rather wild town, the natives were whooping it up along the river, I was getting a bit nervous and started thinking about the revolver on my hip.

Long thought process short, I backed off on the guns and chose my fishing spots a bit more carefully.

When you think about it, putting yourself a situation where you might shoot someone just to catch a catfish is pretty shortsighted. 

7 minutes ago, Further said:

I was really into catching fish, and guns.

Fishing at night near a rather wild town, the natives were whooping it up along the river, I was getting a bit nervous and started thinking about the revolver on my hip.

Long thought process short, I backed off on the guns and chose my fishing spots a bit more carefully.

When you think about it, putting yourself a situation where you might shoot someone just to catch a catfish is pretty shortsighted. 

Unless it's great fishing. Then you have a conundrum literally on your hands.

• Haha 1

Threat with an empty shotgun - It was the summer right after HS.  I was living on the second floor in a low rent apartment with sketchy parking in the rear.  A friend, we'll call him Larry, was over and we were just hanging out late at night when I noticed out the window that a couple guys were scoping out Larry's car.  I asked him if he had his doors locked when I saw that one of the guys opened my car door.  I grabbed my empty shotgun - a Remington Model 1100 semi-auto.  I opened the breach and quietly stepped on to the back porch.  I hit the button to close the breach and the shotgun made a very distinctive shotgun sound.  They both froze and if I remember correctly - crapped their pants (I just made that last part up).  When I said stop one guy dropped my stuff and ran and the other guy just stood there shaking.  Turns out I knew both of them but not well.  I told the guy to go but if I found anything missing I would come visit with my shotgun.