Reaching eighty

onbike1939

10 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I like my fish pretreated with petro.

In the first forty days a boy had been with him. But after forty days without a fish the boy’s parents had told him that the old man was now definitely and finally salao, which is the worst form of unlucky, and the boy had gone at their orders in another boat which caught three good fish the first week.

"In the past, hardly anyone ever suspected Hemingway novels of symbolism. Then, in The Old Man and the Sea, people saw symbols--the old man stood for man's dignity, the big fish embodied nature, the sharks symbolized evil (or maybe just the critics).

"No good book has ever been written that has in it symbols arrived at beforehand and stuck in," says Hemingway. "That kind of symbol sticks out like raisins in raisin bread. Raisin bread is all right, but plain bread is better." He opens two bottles of beer and continues: "I tried to make a real old man, a real boy, a real sea and a real fish and real sharks. But if I made them good and true enough they would mean many things. The hardest thing is to make something really true and sometimes truer than true."

22 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

"In the past, hardly anyone ever suspected Hemingway novels of symbolism. Then, in The Old Man and the Sea, people saw symbols--the old man stood for man's dignity, the big fish embodied nature, the sharks symbolized evil (or maybe just the critics).

"No good book has ever been written that has in it symbols arrived at beforehand and stuck in," says Hemingway. "That kind of symbol sticks out like raisins in raisin bread. Raisin bread is all right, but plain bread is better." He opens two bottles of beer and continues: "I tried to make a real old man, a real boy, a real sea and a real fish and real sharks. But if I made them good and true enough they would mean many things. The hardest thing is to make something really true and sometimes truer than true."

He no longer dreamed of storms, nor of women, nor of great occurrences, nor of great fish, nor fights, nor contests of strength, nor of his wife. He only dreamed of places now and of the lions on the beach. They played like young cats in the dusk and he loved them as he loved the boy.

I have always wondered about the lions on the beach.  I read books for the story they tell.   I love Hemingway.  For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises and The Old Man in the Sea have all been read and reread by me, solely for the stories, but I wonder about the lions.

I also wonder about the male / female relationships in many of his books, the impotence from war wounds and the infidelity.

A bucket list item I fear I will never achieve is the retrace some of the journeys in his books, especially the fishing trip in The Sun Also Rises.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

He no longer dreamed of storms, nor of women, nor of great occurrences, nor of great fish, nor fights, nor contests of strength, nor of his wife. He only dreamed of places now and of the lions on the beach. They played like young cats in the dusk and he loved them as he loved the boy.

I have always wondered about the lions on the beach.  I read books for the story they tell.   I love Hemingway.  For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises and The Old Man in the Sea have all been read and reread by me, solely for the stories, but I wonder about the lions.

I also wonder about the male / female relationships in many of his books, the impotence from war wounds and the infidelity.

A bucket list item I fear I will never achieve is the retrace some of the journeys in his books, especially the fishing trip in The Sun Also Rises.

Our high school English teacher challenged us to drink along with TSAR. She’d be fired for that nowadays. 

• Envious 1