How much are you going to miss Don Cherry?

Mr. Silly

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

It is a shame he got canned for one of his more modest racial comments when he’s been making disparaging remarks against Europeans, French Canadians and Russians for close to 40 years.

Everything he said about European, French Canadian, Swedish and Russian hockey players was true.  We just didn't get all offended back then.  

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

No, he was wrong. He was stuck in 1972.

He has been saying things for 40+ years.  He didn't say them all last week. 

He didn't like the Euro and French players because they were big on cheap shots like high sticking.

He didn't like Russians because they were enhanced by performance drugs.

I think he just didn't like the Swedes.  :) 

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Now here comes the shit.  When you say that you are not confining the statement to just the person you are addressing.

I don't even know why they think it is an insult.  The alternative to not being conceived when I was, was not being conceived.  I don't even live in the same country as him but he thinks I ruined his life.  That is so adorable.  I need my Greta meme..  :) 

5 minutes ago, wilbur said:

I don't even know why they think it is an insult.  The alternative to not being conceived when I was, was not being conceived.  I don't even live in the same country as him but he thinks I ruined his life.  That is so adorable.  I need my Greta meme..  :) 

Based on your "OK Punk" response, you felt it was an insult.

12 hours ago, BuffJim said:

He chastised unpatriotic Canadian immigrants for not buying poppies in support of Veteran’s Day. 

There were two issues.  First he focused his criticism at immigrants which is inherently racist seeing that the vast majority of all Canadians, regardless of where they were born, don't wear poppies on remembrance day.  He was given the opportunity to keep his job but refused to apologize for his racist remarks. 

10 hours ago, wilbur said:

He has been saying things for 40+ years.  He didn't say them all last week. 

He didn't like the Euro and French players because they were big on cheap shots like high sticking.

He didn't like Russians because they were enhanced by performance drugs.

I think he just didn't like the Swedes.  :) 

I always thought that he hated the European players because they didn't fight enough like the good Canadian boys did.  I never heard Cherry say anything bad about Chris Pronger.    

12 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

No, he was wrong. He was stuck in 1972.

Things go out of "fashion". Some types of bigotry are slowly going out of fashion, but clearly that isn't an overnight thing as it often requires the dinosaurs to die off of natural causes.

2 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

First he focused his criticism at immigrants which is inherently racist seeing that the vast majority of all Canadians, regardless of where they were born, don't wear poppies on remembrance day

The people you see wearing poppies are primarily old stock Canadians.  Those with an attachment to the wars.  They aren't popular with immigrants.  His observations are accurate.  Maybe the facts are racist or maybe pointing to those facts is racist.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Silly said:

There were two issues.  First he focused his criticism at immigrants which is inherently racist seeing that the vast majority of all Canadians, regardless of where they were born, don't wear poppies on remembrance day.  He was given the opportunity to keep his job but refused to apologize for his racist remarks. 

Nothing in his statements was racist.  He was critical of immigrants, I will grant you that.  That doesn't equate to racism.

• Heart 1

Just now, BuffJim said:

Nothing in his statements was racist.  He was critical of immigrants, I will grant you that.  That doesn't equate to racism.

No, that's more in line with bigotry (but could be flavored with racism).

I'm hard pressed to see the line connecting poppies and patriotism, but CAnadians are a surly lot.

5 minutes ago, wilbur said:

The people you see wearing poppies are primarily old stock Canadians.  Those with an attachment to the wars.  They aren't popular with immigrants.  His observations are accurate.  Maybe the facts are racist or maybe pointing to those facts are racist.  

Why didn't Cherry make any mention of native new stock Canadians who don't wear poppies?