WTH?

Longjohn

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We haven’t discussed Viathon here previously?  It’s consumer direct and not sold in stores.  Reports in various cycling media have been positive. Basically a lot of bike for not a lot of money. 

That sounds like a lot of money for a Walmart bike. For that kind of money you could buy a bike in a bike shop and have somewhere to have it serviced.

8 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

That sounds like a lot of money for a Walmart bike. For that kind of money you could buy a bike in a bike shop and have somewhere to have it serviced.

The Walmart kids (grandkids) are HUGE bike guys.  They are making the area surrounding the Walmart HQ a world class MTB, gravel, and even road destination. They also own Rapha. 

They're the real deal putting their buckets of money where their mouths are.

Also:

https://theforwardpodcast.libsyn.com/john-furner

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Sure there is the on going debate of consumer direct vs LBS but you aren’t going to find them on the shelf at your local Walmart.  
If I was in the market for a bike I’d consider them.  I’m the demographic they are targeting.  I know what I want, able to assemble & adjust and can appreciate the value it provides.

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

The Walmart kids (grandkids) are HUGE bike guys.  They are making the area surrounding the Walmart HQ a world class MTB, gravel, and even road destination. They also own Rapha. 

They're the real deal putting their buckets of money where their mouths are.

This - Sam's grandkids are cyclists and this is part of their plan to make cycling a bigger part of the family business.  I'm sure you'll see more steps in the future unless they get shot down.

• Heart 1

This is where I hate Walmart's website anymore.  They sell open market stuff like Amazon, so not everything you see on their website is actually sold/shipped by Walmart.  They just allow people to sell through their website for a small fee to try and compete with Amazon.  For big box stores, I hate that as if I am on their website, I am usually looking to try and find something in stock somewhere so I can go grab it quickly.

Notice in the listing.

" For product inquiries or assistance with correct bike sizing, please email or call our dedicated support team at support@viathonbicycles.com, (855) 572-8474 between 9-5 pm (PST). "  So this is basically an independent mail order bike setup selling through Walmart's website.  You can also order directly off their own website.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

This is where I hate Walmart's website anymore.  They sell open market stuff like Amazon, so not everything you see on their website is actually sold/shipped by Walmart.  They just allow people to sell through their website for a small fee to try and compete with Amazon.  For big box stores, I hate that as if I am on their website, I am usually looking to try and find something in stock somewhere so I can go grab it quickly.

Notice in the listing.

" For product inquiries or assistance with correct bike sizing, please email or call our dedicated support team at support@viathonbicycles.com, (855) 572-8474 between 9-5 pm (PST). "  So this is basically an independent mail order bike setup selling through Walmart's website.  You can also order directly off their own website.

It is sort of like the Canyon salesmodel (if Canyon was not solely on their own site and sold on Amazon):

We manage and control domestic assembly with a 60-point check, ready-to-ride build on every complete bike before it ships. As a result, every model—indeed, every finished bicycle—is at the top of its class for weight, technology, and quality.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It is sort of like the Canyon salesmodel (if Canyon was not solely on their own site and sold on Amazon):

We manage and control domestic assembly with a 60-point check, ready-to-ride build on every complete bike before it ships. As a result, every model—indeed, every finished bicycle—is at the top of its class for weight, technology, and quality.

Exactly, they are just running an expanded online presence figuring it worth throwing a percentage to Walmart in order to help gain some market.

But for a CF bike with full Dura Ace (I just glanced quickly) seems to be a solid bargain to me.  You could almost buy one and part it out for a profit as I think a full Dura Ace kit is going to cost you near that anymore.