What GPS app do you use?

Mr. Silly

I use Android Auto, I like it fine I guess.  The things that bothers me about the app are that it remembers every location I've been too and there is no way to delete history.  Also, if I am listening to something from my phone, the lady giving directions will talk over what I am listening to.  I can turn that off, but it mutes the lady and still mutes the thing I am listening to.  

What software do you folks use?

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I do not know if it is a feature of my car or android auto but I can adjust the volume of the voice from ways and my audio separately

I can turn off the talking with AA but the thing I am playing just goes silent during during the period of time when directions are being given.  The silence is in some ways even more annoying because it seems like a moronic behavior.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Google bought waze. You will notice that Google maps and waze seem very similar now.

I find Google provides better routing than Waze.  Waze is still slightly better for alerting of hazards as Google still hasn't incorporated everything.

So if I need directions, I use Google.  If I just want up coming potential hazards, I use Waze.

2 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

Does Waze shut up when you're streaming something from your phone?

It interrupts music from a memory stick in my Ford and takes a few seconds to switch back to music. But it lowers the volume in my Honda, makes the announcement, and then brings the music volume back up.

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

compass or I just wander.

Not all who wander are lost.

Wandering is WAY underrated.  I spend most lunch hours in the city just wandering. And walks with the pup are her wandering and me following.  What a great way to find new and interesting things.

these stupid apps take all the fun our of just going down some random trail or forest road just to see where it goes. Eventually you will come to a location you recognize or have heard of so you aren't lost forever. As a concession to my wife I do carry the inreach when I go on some of these adventures.  I don't really know why I do.  I have never pushed the SOS button.

1 minute ago, Digital_photog said:

these stupid apps take all the fun our of just going down some random trail or forest road just to see where it goes. Eventually you will come to a location you recognize or have heard of so you aren't lost forever. As a concession to my wife I do carry the inreach when I go on some of these adventures.  I don't really know why I do.  I have never pushed the SOS button.

I agree with you about these apps ruining the adventure, especially while out riding.  One of the greatest characteristics of cycling is the freedom it gives you to go down any road or path, just to see what is there. 

Does anyone in this forum ride?  Granted it is dangerous but there are some fun aspects as well.

Where the GPS apps are valuable is when commuting to and from work.  They let you know if there is a traffic problem and let give you a heads up if there is trouble.  They give you the option of rerouting.  Without the app you don't find out if there is a problem until you're trapped in a traffic jam.