Steelers and Browns Thursday night

Dottleshead

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Pot should never be illegal for players.

It shouldn’t, especially when for some teams it’s legal for recreation use in their states, in others for medicinal use, yet they all have to follow the strict “no” policy. But that means nothing if he’s suspended by the league for a year for a positive or missed test.

Just now, Square Wheels said:

I had no idea what all the fuss was about, I just watched the video.  What I schmuck.

I read on Sports Illustrated a few minutes ago, that football is cancelled for the rest of the season, the Patriots were declared SB champs due to their record.

Lots of lost revenue by not playing the games, both ticket and TV.

Here is how the half-wit saw it:

By Steve Doerschuk 
CantonRep.com sports writer 
@sdoerschukREP
Posted Nov 15, 2019 at 2:40 AM

“I thought it was cowardly and bush league.”

CLEVELAND — Whether Mason Rudolph was an innocent in the shocking conclusion to the Browns’ 21-7 rout of Pittsburgh is subject to interpretation.

One interpretation after watching repeated replays: Rudolph was far from innocent.

Rudolph’s takeaway painted Garrett as the bad guy. Period.

“I thought it was cowardly and bush league,” the Pittsburgh quarterback said in the locker room afterward. “There is plenty of tape out there to watch. I haven’t see it yet.”

Here is one interpretation after multiple viewings of “the tape.”

The game was decided but the Steelers elected to run a play from their own 17-yard line with 14 seconds left. Rudolph had been nailed for long sacks by Larry Ogunjobi and Joe Schobert to put the Steelers in a third and 29.

It arguably was pointless to keep running plays, but Rudolph threw a short pass to Trey Edmunds for 11 yards. Garrett hit Rudolph as the pass left his hand, and the two of them fell to the ground near the end zone opposite the Dawg Pound.

Garrett was on top of Rudolph, who applied a hard grip to the defensive end’s helmet and began twisting. Garrett’s helmet turned so that part of it covered his face.

As Garrett stood up, Rudolph’s leg swung toward Garrett’s groin; a still photograph circulating online showed Rudolph’s right spike lodged in the groin area. Garrett tore at Rudolph’s helmet and dislodged it from his head. The two became separated, but Rudolph made a charge at Garrett with another player between them. Garrett responded to the charge by striking the quarterback on the top of his unprotected head.

Rudolph detailed his version of the sequence.

“I got sacked,” he said. “We exchanged some words. He kept keeping on and one thing led to another. You can go back and watch tape if you want and make your own assumptions.”

Steelers cornerback Joe Haden, who spent seven years with the Browns, said, “Myles is a good dude, you know? I mean, I’ve never seen him act like that or do anything like that, but that’s not OK.”

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey said Garrett should be suspended for the rest of the year.

“Absolutely, 100 percent,” Pouncey said. “We will see how serious the NFL is about their players.”

Another question: How seriously will the NFL take the Pittsburgh quarterback’s provoking role?

Reach Steve at 330-580-8347 or steve.doerschuk@cantonrep.com

On Twitter: @sdoerschukREP

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

This helmet hit has received more attention than the average school shooting.

As a nation we are in deep trouble.

Like the one in Santa Clara last week that nobody has heard about? Schools have become “school-raq” where it’s just how we do. Our strategic plan to keep students safe now is to run, barricade, and fight back with anything we can get our hands on. In some districts, teachers can shoot back.

But to the point of the original discussion, Rudolph made the inciting injury. Garret forgot how to walk away. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

No, Garrett twisted Rudulph, throwing him on his shoulder onto the ground and landing on top of him. This is roughing the quarterback. This is the inciting incident.

Roughing the quarterback is not an excuse for the response, which was where  a common defensive penalty turned into a brawl. Rudolph needed to just stop and let the rules of the game issue the response. He didn’t. He incited the brawl. 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

30 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

No, Garrett twisted Rudulph, throwing him on his shoulder onto the ground and landing on top of him. This is roughing the quarterback. This is the inciting incident.

RS nailed it.  There is no crying in baseball, and Steelers fans need to grasp that getting brought to the ground is part of the game. 

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

getting brought to the ground is part of the game. 

Throwing a QB to the ground and landing on top of him is a personal foul. You know this. We know nothing of what occurred in the scuffle on the ground. If you can find me Myles Garrett saying something happened in that scuffle that precipitated his helmet swinging, I will listen. Otherwise, you’re right.

49 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Throwing a QB to the ground and landing on top of him is a personal foul. 

Actually, Rudolph had the ball when Garrett wrapped up, and there wasn’t a way for him to see that Rudolph got rid of the ball.  Bringing him to the ground was a football play, Rudolph just didn’t like it.  Maybe he thought that Garrett should find a mattress to put him on first.  

With the game locked up and less than 20 seconds left on the clock, the Steelers really should have just knelt to run the clock out. Maybe Tomlin deserves some blame for not calling the realistic and obvious play. 

31 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Bringing him to the ground was a football play

It once was, it is no longer. It’s a personal foul to throw a quarterback to the ground and then land on him. 

A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as “stuffing” a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation provided for in (a) above. When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down or land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up the passer with the defensive player’s arms and not land on the passer with all or most of his body weight.

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

It once was, it is no longer. It’s a personal foul to throw a quarterback to the ground and then land on him. 

A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as “stuffing” a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation provided for in (a) above. When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down or land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up the passer with the defensive player’s arms and not land on the passer with all or most of his body weight.

Cheaters. The Browns are cheaters. 

Still not an excuse to twist a man’s helmet. 

30 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Then you’ll agree with me that nothing that happened in the scrum excuses Garrett ripping the helmet off of Rudolf, let alone swinging it at his head.

If Roudolf was not provoking the situation still, why was he still following Garrett when the two other players had them separated? 
Operation is a cool off point, and best believe it.. if I had his helmet and he kept coming after me, it would have been lodged up his ass for sure. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Then you’ll agree with me that nothing that happened in the scrum excuses Garrett ripping the helmet off of Rudolf, let alone swinging it at his head.

Ahem, I feel you must be reminded that Rudolph was trying as hard as he could to pull Garrett’s helmet off, which fully excuses Garrett pulling Rudolph’s helmet off.  Then they were separated, with Garrett walking well away, but that is when the hatless half-wit kept coming after Garrett in a violent-as-he-could-manage way.  

• Heart 1

I watched again in a forensic manner, and I can tell you for certain what happens FACTUALLY.

First, play goes off, Garrett hits Rudolph AS the pass is thrown.  There is no way for Garrett to know the ball is away.  NO LATE HIT

Second, Garrett pulls Rudolph down on top of himself!   NO PERSONAL FOUL, NO ROUGHING THE PASSER

Third, as Rudolph rolls to the side of Garrett, the first thing that happens is RUDOLPH ATTEMPTS TO PULL GARRETT'S HELMET OFF

Failing this, as Garrett is attempting to get up, RUDOLPH KICKS GARRETT IN THE GROIN

Garrett, presumably taking some level of annoyance with the happenings SUCCEEDS IN PULLING RUDOLPH'S HELMET OFF

Separated but still fully triggered, RUDOLPH CHARGES GARRETT  He has to go the long way around the physical separation of number 66 for Pittsburgh, DeCastro

GARRETT HITS RUDOLPH WITH HIS OWN HELMET

Some Pittsburgh players, presumably to prevent the quarterback from continuing to embarrass himself by falling on a banana peel or something KNOCK GARRETT TO THE GROUND

POUNCEY BECOMES PUNCHY AND KICKY  I can't fault him for this, as he couldn't realize what a dumbshit his quarteback was (besides all the intereceptions, that is) and thinks be is protecting something akin to a quarterback

OGUNJOBI PUSHES RUDOLPH HARD ENOUGH TO FALL DOWN  This is just hilarious.

Watch the video and if you think I am somehow wrong on this exact timeline, SHOW me I am wrong on ANY part of this.  Again, I paused the video and noted what happened EXACTLY sequentially, the stuff in bold is FACT.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I watched again in a forensic manner, and I can tell you for certain what happens FACTUALLY for the slow Pittsburgh supporters.

First, play goes off, Garrett hits Rudolph AS the pass is thrown.  There is no way for Garrett to know the ball is away.  NO LATE HIT

Second, Garrett pulls Rudolph down on top of himself!   NO PERSONAL FOUL, NO ROUGHING THE PASSER

Third, as Rudolph rolls to the side of Garrett, the first thing that happens is RUDOLPH ATTEMPTS TO PULL GARRETT'S HELMET OFF

Failing this, as Garrett is attempting to get up, RUDOLPH KICKS GARRETT IN THE GROIN

Garrett, presumably taking some level of annoyance with the happenings SUCCEEDS IN PULLING RUDOLPH'S HELMET OFF

Separated but still fully triggered, RUDOLPH CHARGES GARRETT  He has to go the long way around the physical separation of number 66 for Pittsburgh, DeCastro

GARRETT HITS RUDOLPH WITH HIS OWN HELMET

Some Pittsburgh players, presumably to prevent the quarterback from continuing to embarrass himself by falling on a banana peel or something KNOCK GARRETT TO THE GROUND

POUNCEY BECOMES PUNCHY AND KICKY  I can't fault him for this, as he couldn't realize what a dumbshit his quarteback was (besides all the intereceptions, that is) and thinks be is protecting something akin to a quarterback

OGUNJOBI PUSHES RUDOLPH HARD ENOUGH TO FALL DOWN  This is just hilarious.

Watch the video and think I am somehow wrong on this exact timeline, SHOW me I am wrong on ANY part of this.  

No, that's about right.  They need an appeal on this.  3 game suspension for the helmet swing at most.  

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Don Cherry said:

No, that's about right.  They need an appeal on this.  3 game suspension for the helmet swing at most.  

Incorrect.  Indefinite suspension.  This shit can't happen.  But Rudolph escaping with no penalty at all is a joke.  He needs to be ripped a new ahole.  My guess is that they figure by keeping him in the field of play, he actually hurts his team worse.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Incorrect.  Indefinite suspension.  This shit can't happen. 

Bah, you saw that, Rudolph triggered Garrett with his own unchecked anger.  My psychological assessment is transferrence rage, Rudolph's defense mechanisms are not strong enough to cope with his own shortcomings, so he needs to invent a scenario where someone else is causing the problems, not himself.  Rudolph conveniently forgets he started, exacerbated, continued, and escalates the whole thing, it simply doesn't exist without him.

Anyway, special circumstances.  Anyone can see a situation where, if in the same situation, some raging lunatic just keeps coming at you, so what do you do?  I think most times, Garrett, although filled with good reason for pissiness, finds ways to get out of the situation.  This time he didn't.   You can only stick your head in the crocodile's mouth so many times before it snaps shut on the idiot, and that is what happened.

I agree that two to three games is plenty, considering that Rudolph developed this whole thing from his overwraught mind and horrible actions.  The only thing Rudolph DIDN'T try to do first was getting hit on his head, although he sure as shit went after Garrett as hard as he could.  Contributory to a massive degree. 

2 hours ago, Dottie said:

Incorrect.  Indefinite suspension.  This shit can't happen.  But Rudolph escaping with no penalty at all is a joke.  He needs to be ripped a new ahole.  My guess is that they figure by keeping him in the field of play, he actually hurts his team worse.

Nah, penalize for the act but tempered with the damage caused.  There was none.  I would go after the instigator, and that was Rudolph.   You guys need to harden up.  Allow the odd fight, surround them with a wooden fence and play this game on ice.  Then you have something. 

9 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Bah, you saw that, Rudolph triggered Garrett with his own unchecked anger.  My psychological assessment is transferrence rage, Rudolph's defense mechanisms are not strong enough to cope with his own shortcomings, so he needs to invent a scenario where someone else is causing the problems, not himself.  Rudolph conveniently forgets he started, exacerbated, continued, and escalates the whole thing, it simply doesn't exist without him.

Anyway, special circumstances.  Anyone can see a situation where, if in the same situation, some raging lunatic just keeps coming at you, so what do you do?  I think most times, Garrett, although filled with good reason for pissiness, finds ways to get out of the situation.  This time he didn't.   You can only stick your head in the crocodile's mouth so many times before it snaps shut on the idiot, and that is what happened.

I agree that two to three games is plenty, considering that Rudolph developed this whole thing from his overwraught mind and horrible actions.  The only thing Rudolph DIDN'T try to do first was getting hit on his head, although he sure as shit went after Garrett as hard as he could.  Contributory to a massive degree. 

I think the old axiom - 'he who argues the loudest is usually wrong' holds true.  Keep arguing RG.

33 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I think the old axiom - 'he who argues the loudest is usually wrong' holds true.  Keep arguing RG.

Read the bold facts above. I don’t need to argue, because actual facts are actual facts.  

You need to argue to justify your revisionist take on events. 

The Browns won, you see, because they played better. You just are coming up with silliness for some unknown purpose.   Also, you stink like somebody threw up on a diaper and you rubbed that over your underwear. 

11 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Sadly, this may overtake the greatest thread of all time.

I gotta say, though, that it may be the best SPORTS thread we have ever had in this joint!  Two great teams. One fantastic nailbiter. A multitude of interesting characters. Drama. Thrills. Violence. Mystery.  

Honestly, this thread and the event it is based on will one day be immortalized in an epic movie a la Rudy! 

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I gotta say, though, that it may be the best SPORTS thread we have ever had in this joint!  Two great teams. One fantastic nailbiter. A multitude of interesting characters. Drama. Thrills. Violence. Mystery.  

Honestly, this thread and the event it is based on will one day be immortalized in an epic movie a la Rudy! 

Mile Garrett starring in One Hit Wonder