Infotainment and GPS In Older Cars?

Razors Edge

Are these things in any way "future proof"?  I remember tons of folks beotching and moaning over GPS systems that were CD/DVD disc based systems, and how those were impossible or cost prohibitive to update once the new model rolled out with a "better" system. 

Are automakers, in any way, making it easy in current models to just remove and replace the rapidly-becoming-obsolete in dash systems? Or are they becoming smarter and just making it a bring-your-own-device agnostic solution?

Integration of Apple Car Play and Andriod Auto, so they are displaying the map data from your phone.

I still find built in nav handy when I am just out and about as I can spot road names or through roads when just driving by feel to somewhere.

When pricing Toyota's the salesman give in that it might be better to forgo the nav in dash system at the price being charged because you phone would bluetooth to the touch screen in the normal in dash radio.

I opted to mount an external GPS system.  When mine became obsolete so far as support earlier this year I purchased another for $53.

12 hours ago, Further said:

Older cars had a massive engine and skinny tires for entertainment. Navigation was a crumpled map in the glovebox.

Just watched a rerun of a TV show called Autobiograpy on Motortrend TV where a seeming lack of proper navigation landed TWO sets of cars (and six people) dead at the bottom of a dead-end boat ramp!  They sure could have used a good set of maps :D

The Case of the Sunken Chevys

Season 1 Episode 6 

40 years after they went missing, a 1969 Camaro and a 1952 Chevy Styleline are found side by side at the bottom of a Lake in western Oklahoma. No one knows how they ended up there, or why the 3 people in each car didn't escape... until now.

Out West we had “Thomas Guide” which was a map book.  I had one for all of the counties in SoCal and could find anything on them.  They were updated annually and every 4-5 years I’d replace them, especially the OC maps as there was tremendous growth in the 80’s & 90’s.

I don’t think all cities had them though.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

40 years after they went missing, a 1969 Camaro and a 1952 Chevy Styleline are found side by side at the bottom of a Lake in western Oklahoma. No one knows how they ended up there, or why the 3 people in each car didn't escape... until now.

Were they OK?

On 11/13/2019 at 11:36 AM, Razors Edge said:

Are these things in any way "future proof"?  I remember tons of folks beotching and moaning over GPS systems that were CD/DVD disc based systems, and how those were impossible or cost prohibitive to update once the new model rolled out with a "better" system. 

Are automakers, in any way, making it easy in current models to just remove and replace the rapidly-becoming-obsolete in dash systems? Or are they becoming smarter and just making it a bring-your-own-device agnostic solution?

My base-automatic 2013 Honda Fit did not come with GPS or Bluetooth.

So I have a portable GPS that sits on top of my dashboard when I used it that I power through the 12V port and a portable Bluetooth device that clips to the sunvisor and I recharge through the 12V port about once every three weeks that activates automatically after it's been idle when it hears the car door close.  I don't think either one will become obsolete if they last 10 years.

I love the 5"-display, portable, Garmin nuvi 52 GPS that comes with an optional "sandbag" that stays put on the top of my dashboard where I don't have to move my eyes from the road very much to glance at it. It has lifetime maps I can update by Internet through my laptop.  It has a clear, pleasant female voice, but you can also buy voices for around $10 of Marge Simpson, Homer, etc. but I think I'd get tired of them.  It's around $150 most places. I got it for $99.99 a few years ago on Amazon.

It does not do traffic warnings and it's not great at long trip planning unless you download the laptop app for it, but it does all I need it to do.  It shows the road clearly and splits into two views when there are multiple lanes diverging each way.

Nuvi52_2.jpg.4674db0e60fca149572fd911ee0dd4f5.jpgNuvi52_1.jpg.cef665408e7562aecf98dd27b3f3dc48.jpg

My Bluetooth device is a Jabra Freeway. It has a built in microphone and speaker. You can run the speaker through a specific radio channel but it's fine without that extra trouble. It's currently $92.84 at Amazon.  I think I paid $66 a few years ago.

I liked the Motorola Roadster 2 a little better, but it's battery died in 11 months and the warrantied replacement died in another 11 months and the batteries can't be replaced unless you want to pry it open and figure it out yourself. You can run it plugged into the 12V port but that's a bother if you have to do it that way all the time - a 1/2 hour charge while driving and it should be good for another 3 weeks. I've had the Jabra Freeway for 3 years and it's fine - it tells you when the battery is low about every 3 weeks.  It goes idle if it detects no noise in the car for a while and activates and says its on when it hears a car door close.

If the caller's name is in your smartphone's phone list, it will tell you who is calling, otherwise saying the phone number.  It will tell you to say "Answer" or "Ignore."  You can call out by pressing the "Voice" button on the right-middle and it initiates the voice calling features of your phone - which may or may not be reliable.  I prefer to pull over, unless it's very safe on the road, glance down at my smartphone and initiate the call from it.

375112897_Picture2.JPG.8b6cbce6360dcef7de238f23bad2014f.JPG836009619_Picture1.JPG.a486be82d754d696248146fc9ce979ed.JPG