Bike # 2 for sale (updated with pic attempt)

Parr8hed

So I don't have pics yet, it is hanging in the garage. It is a 7 speed drive train. Downtube shifters. Shimano 600. A brand called Quentin that I have never heard of. Steel, lugged frame with horizontal dropouts. The wheels actually have tubular tires on them. It appears to be a solid ride.

I might hold on to this one for myself just because I think it's cool. I have never mounted up tubular tires and this could be a chance to try it out. It is certainly not a "ride every day" bike.

Anyone have any idea what it's worth? I say not much more than a 100 bucks or so? But I don't want to stiff her. It is really only worth money for the nostalgia cool factor.

Her husband won this bike when he won the tour of the Adirondacks back a few years ago. He was a cool guy. I think cleaning this bike up and putting new taars on it would be a cool way to keep his memory alive.

Dang my first thought was a fixie project bike for me.  :D

Ha!  I have an older steel frame that I have converted to a single speed.  I actually am riding that bike more than either of my others right now, but mainly because the kids are out of school for the summer.  I actually really like the simplicity of it.  But something tells me that Dan would be rolling over in his grave if some little punk with a beard, capri pants and a stupid hat holding a can of PBR stripped the gears off the bike he won. 

This one demands pictures for the retro in me.  I loves me some vintage if it's good stuff.

I believe Quentin was a steel manufacturer, though I don't remember for sure.  If you like her, make sure you pull the stem, seatpost, and bottom bracket and get some FrameSaver in there.

• Heart 1

About the only information I can find on Quentin bikes is that they were a private label for a company out of Chicago; kind of like the early bikes from Performance and Nashbar. They slapped their name on someone else's frame and loaded some decent parts on it. They sold more BMX bikes, not a lot of roadies. The frame isn't worth much, but the components might be to someone building up a late 80s project. I'd say you're not far off on the price. $100 to $150 depending on the condition of the drive train.

This one demands pictures for the retro in me.  I loves me some vintage if it's good stuff.

I believe Quentin was a steel manufacturer, though I don't remember for sure.  If you like her, make sure you pull the stem, seatpost, and bottom bracket and get some FrameSaver in there.

I will get pics later this afternoon.  And thanks for the tip on the frame saver.

About the only information I can find on Quentin bikes is that they were a private label for a company out of Chicago; kind of like the early bikes from Performance and Nashbar. They slapped their name on someone else's frame and loaded some decent parts on it. They sold more BMX bikes, not a lot of roadies. The frame isn't worth much, but the components might be to someone building up a late 80s project. I'd say you're not far off on the price. $100 to $150 depending on the condition of the drive train.

Thanks Bob.

Looking at the lugs and the seat cluster, the frame is almost identical to some of the shop branded frames produced by Giant for the private label market in the late 80s and early 90s. The drive train puts it in the late 80s. Overall condition, in my opinion, would make that about a $250 bike if you found the right buyer. If it fits, my vote would be give the widow $150 and keep that puppy. It looks like a sweet ride!

7-speed Shimano 600 Ultegra (when 600 and Ultegra were blended in the same name).  Rear derailleur looks like it got dumped once (superficial scratches).  Biopace chainrings; end of that era.  I bought SR Roundtech rings to replace the ones on my Sport LX cranks before getting the 8spd 600 Ultegra cranks.

Cinelli XA stem (I remember one of those).  Beautiful if you could keep it from slipping, and not overtorque the recessed stem bolt (I broke one of those).  I loved the look of mine.  Later Cinelli bars though; anatomic bends weren't common for Cinelli at the time.

Those sewups look in poor shape.  Probably need to unglue them, true/tension the wheels, and put some basics on there.

This could be a good project if you want to keep it.  I 'd rebuild the headset, bottom bracket, and hubs.  Get some inexpensive new-old-stock round chainrings on there, and check the chain/ cassette for wear.

If you don't want to rebuild it, it's a $100-150 bike IMO, low side of things if it's not tuned up, bit more if it is.  At that value level, the sewups make it less of a resale value as opposed to clinchers.