Some rousings about the status of things

Parr8hed

16 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

This weekend we are going to a cross race in Cincy.  Sat and Sun.  Hope to be there both days.  Hope to take the camper.  I think we will just set up in the parking lot.  Keeping an eye on the weather to see.  G is stoked about it. 

I have seen a glimpse of the travel ball schedule for next spring/summer.  Holy shit.  I am a little freaked out.  We are playing all over the place.  Chatty TN, to Cleveland, to Colorado Springs...  It seems a little daunting.  We were on the way home and Emmy was doing some math.  She was adding up how much we spend on hitting and pitching lessons each week.  She almost got a little teary when she multiplied that by 52 and saw how much we spend a year.  And that doesn't include her brother's activities or any uniforms or tourney fees.  It was kinda touching to see her get worked up.  She said "Dad, you could have a newer truck for that".

I assured her that I didn't want a new truck. I wanted to see her and her brother succeed. 

In ten years, nobody remembers a new truck.  Good call. 

• Heart 2

14 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

We are playing all over the place.  Chatty TN, to Cleveland, to Colorado Springs...  It seems a little daunting.

Is that broad of a geographic area really needed for softball? Or really ANY sport?  I get the TN and OH ones since they are relatively close to you, but CO?  I know a guy I work with has to travel with his daughter from OK to Florida for some tourneys, but man, that also seems nuts. 

Back in my day (old man voice), we barely traveled around the state. It was a huge event to even take you across the state border. Nowadays, though, it seems like there is some push to keep going farther and farther abroad, but I wonder where the push for that comes from.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I would tell her to play little league and like it and tell G that a Walmart bike was good enough for you when you were a kid.  I would tell them this from the front seat of your lifted F250 Platinum King Ranch Raptor Eddie Bauer Edition 4x4.

F250.. Pfft!    :) 

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

This weekend we are going to a cross race in Cincy.  Sat and Sun.  Hope to be there both days.  Hope to take the camper.  I think we will just set up in the parking lot.  Keeping an eye on the weather to see.  G is stoked about it. 

I have seen a glimpse of the travel ball schedule for next spring/summer.  Holy shit.  I am a little freaked out.  We are playing all over the place.  Chatty TN, to Cleveland, to Colorado Springs...  It seems a little daunting.  We were on the way home and Emmy was doing some math.  She was adding up how much we spend on hitting and pitching lessons each week.  She almost got a little teary when she multiplied that by 52 and saw how much we spend a year.  And that doesn't include her brother's activities or any uniforms or tourney fees.  It was kinda touching to see her get worked up.  She said "Dad, you could have a newer truck for that".

I assured her that I didn't want a new truck. I wanted to see her and her brother succeed. 

Just missed you again. Was in Cincinnati last few days and will be back there for Thanksgiving. 

Isn't junior cross nats in Oregon in 2020?

9 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Is that broad of a geographic area really needed for softball? Or really ANY sport?  I get the TN and OH ones since they are relatively close to you, but CO?  I know a guy I work with has to travel with his daughter from OK to Florida for some tourneys, but man, that also seems nuts. 

Back in my day (old man voice), we barely traveled around the state. It was a huge event to even take you across the state border. Nowadays, though, it seems like there is some push to keep going farther and farther abroad, but I wonder where the push for that comes from.

Travel/club ball really is the path to post HS athletics in several sports  these days.  The bigger tournaments pull in regional talent which ads exposure.  I have heard stories of athletes foregoing HS ball and only play club ball.  The travel is daunting but it is how it is these days where as in your day HS ball was the path.

Baseball is huge in SoCal so my son didn’t leave California much but we did travel from Bakersfield to San Diego with the occasional trip to AZ.  It was his association with travel team that helped his recruiting, not his HS team.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Scrapr said:

where in Oregon? I can put you up if in Bend. 

One of the main Portland areas (Alpenrose) is in a family dispute. But I think there is a track out at Portland Intl Raceway

I think it's actually Lakewood WA?  I know it's on the left coast somewhere.  I can't justify the trip with G being the first year in a very competitive 15-18 AG.  He will be a 14 year old racing against 18 year olds.  

16 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

There are just certain tourneys that you NEED to play in to get in front of coaches,  and then there are certain ones that you WANT to play in.  Colorado is one of those.  The Sparkler out there is kind of the "who's who" of softball.  And most of us have never been out there.  @ChrisL is right, high school doesn't get you to scholarship offers like it used to.  It's travel ball now.  

16 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

A good truck oughta last 20 years. :D

Mine is getting there.  Maybe not in chronological age, but it's probably already got 20 years worth of miles on it!

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1