Stolen License Plate: Episode 2

MickinMD

My Internet service was restored today without me having to do anything, hopefully all is well with all the equipment - a "Senior Technician" from the company is supposed to call me but I haven't heard from him yet.

On 6/6/17 I related my long will-it-never-end ordeal replacing two stolen license plates:

Yesterday evening, I discovered my rear license plate had been stolen.

This time, I knew the drill: yesterday evening I reported it and got a case number from the local police. This morning I stopped at Lowe's to get 6-16 metric bolts about 20 mm long to hold the plates onto the car (I'm glad I mentioned their size in my last episode reported here). Then I went to the Motor Vehicle Admin and came out an hour later with new tags with new numbers at no cost with the same expiration month and year stickers as my old plates: 7/20.

I had to carry the front plate all the way to the end and wait a short time to be called to a counter just to turn it in.  The woman at counter took the plate and soon gave me a receipt for it, telling me I was good to go.  I asked, "You mean you're not going to give me an affidavit that I have fill out "There, there, there, there, and, oh-yeah, there," swearing my plate was really stolen?"

She replied, "I'll take your word for it," so maybe they only do that when both plates are stolen.

This time I have to follow through on replacing the Phillips head bolts with so more difficult to remove bolts.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

My Internet service was restored today without me having to do anything, hopefully all is well with all the equipment - a "Senior Technician" from the company is supposed to call me but I haven't heard from him yet.

On 6/6/17 I related my long will-it-never-end ordeal replacing two stolen license plates:

Yesterday evening, I discovered my rear license plate had been stolen.

This time, I knew the drill: yesterday evening I reported it and got a case number from the local police. This morning I stopped at Lowe's to get 6-16 metric bolts about 20 mm long to hold the plates onto the car (I'm glad I mentioned their size in my last episode reported here). Then I went to the Motor Vehicle Admin and came out an hour later with new tags with new numbers at no cost with the same expiration month and year stickers as my old plates: 7/20.

I had to carry the front plate all the way to the end and wait a short time to be called to a counter just to turn it in.  The woman at counter took the plate and soon gave me a receipt for it, telling me I was good to go.  I asked, "You mean you're not going to give me an affidavit that I have fill out "There, there, there, there, and, oh-yeah, there," swearing my plate was really stolen?"

She replied, "I'll take your word for it," so maybe they only do that when both plates are stolen.

This time I have to follow through on replacing the Phillips head bolts with so more difficult to remove bolts.

Use Allen head bolts and make them theft proof by using melted candle wax and a ball bearing to fill the hole.

If you need to remove the bolt melt the wax with a lighter

If you (or your car dealer) use plain steel screws instead of something that won’t rust you won’t have to worry about anyone steeling your plates. When I traded in my Element the dealership worked for a half hour trying to get the plate off it.

The salesman worked on it for about ten minutes and finally drove it back to the shop and I think they drilled the bolts out. Good luck to whoever tries to mount the next plate. 

• Heart 1