Thanksgiving menu

Parsnip Totin Jack

Thanksgiving Day is two weeks away. What are you planning for the day? Traditional? family favorites? Going somewhere? What’s up people?

Wife, son and I are staying home so I’m planning a small meal. Turkey, mashed and gravy. Baked squash and a shrimp and ham jambalaya in lieu of stuffing. Pecan and pumpkin pies for dessert. 

• Heart 3

We do thanksgiving with my daughters in laws. I get the turkey & brine it. I bring it to them the morning of. and she cooks it & does the sides.  We do early dinner then hit Black Friday sales.

My siblings have been meeting the Friday after for decades now. Not sure where we are having it this year tho.

BuffCarla is organizing the meal.  It will be a fiasco with all the traditional items -skewed a bit towards African American comfort food - mac'n cheese (not the good kind from a blue box ;( ) - and maybe greens. Then she'll make special dishes for the vegetarian sister.

I am in charge of the cheese and crackers and the drinks, and l will certainly have to pay for the Turkey and much of the other food.

Could have anywhere from 10-30 people stop by. She has a huge family. Most likely 20-25 people.

• Heart 1

Just two of us so we will roast a chicken. Thinking about deboned spatchcock chicken, broccolini with sesame sauce and lemon. Maybe this charred sweet potatoes with hot honey butter and lime. For dessert a maple custard baked in acorn squash topped with hazelnuts in bourbon.

Finish the day with a hike or ski if we have snow.

chicken-300x200.jpeg

image.thumb.png.ec0a6b30621ea424f5a2737b96fece44.png

image.thumb.png.1e8acdd69aa45d3531367ffa02787c73.png

• Awesome 1

43 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

@BuffJim I have to side with BuffCarla on the Mac n cheese prep. The blue box stuff is an abomination compared to the real deal. I will pray for your conversion from your evil ways.

To quote Merle Haggard "The roots of my raisin runs deep"  I'm a blue boxer for life.  But I do love BuffCarla's stuffing.  That stuff is the Foshizzle.

1 hour ago, dennis said:

Just two of us so we will roast a chicken. Thinking about deboned spatchcock chicken, broccolini with sesame sauce and lemon. Maybe this charred sweet potatoes with hot honey butter and lime. For dessert a maple custard baked in acorn squash topped with hazelnuts in bourbon.

chicken-300x200.jpeg

I had to UTFG to figure that one out.

The real term is to "spatchcock." Alan Davidson explains in The Oxford Companion to Food: "The theory is that the word is an abbreviation of 'dispatch the cock,' a phrase used to indicate a summary way of grilling a bird after splitting it open down the back and spreading the two halves out flat."

18 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I had to UTFG to figure that one out.

The real term is to "spatchcock." Alan Davidson explains in The Oxford Companion to Food: "The theory is that the word is an abbreviation of 'dispatch the cock,' a phrase used to indicate a summary way of grilling a bird after splitting it open down the back and spreading the two halves out flat."

This is the plan. The video from Jacques is awesome. Spatchcock sounds more harmless than dispatching the cock which a phrase I'd rather not consider.

Deboned Spatchcock Chicken
This is a great way to simultaneously achieve the best charred, roasted chicken ever while utilizing as much of your chicken as possible. When you remove the ribcage of the bird, you are left with the best bits exposed (think breast and inner-thighs), while keeping all of that delicious skin and fat for crisping. The meat will cook twice as quickly and will hold much more flavor and juice. To debone your chicken, follow this Anthony Bourdain “No Reservations” tutorial. Save the carcass for chicken broth.

Spatchcock or “Butterflied” Roast Chicken:

chicken-300x200.jpeg Roasted butterflied chicken over a bed of potatoes, lemon and sweet onion
Photo: Bryce Carroll

1 whole chicken, deboned or “butterflied”
2 tbsp harissa paste or spice
1 tbsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp ground cumin
3 tbsp honey
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced

Marinate your deboned chicken in your favorite roasting spices (I like this harissa, cumin, turmeric, honey, and garlic blend). Set your oven to 425°. Line an iron skillet with one lemon thinly sliced, onion and four potatoes thinly sliced (optional). Sprinkle with oil salt and pepper. Place the chicken, skin side up, into the pan and roast for 45 minutes or until the meat is fully cooked (you can check this with a meat thermometer or by pulling on one of the legs, if it pulls easily from the breast it is finished. Serve out of the pan with all of the juicy accompaniments from the bottom of the pan.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

We have a extend family dinner with about 15 of us each year and rotate who's hosting it.  This year, we're celebrating at a relative's home on Kent Island, on Maryland's Eastern Shore.  We have a couple people born in Ireland and raised in the USA and the others have mostly Polish backgrounds on the mothers' sides and the cooking reflects a little of that. Each year, I am required to bring a crockpot full of cooked fresh kielbasa marinated in sauerkraut with a little honey and caraway seeds add with a little of the water from boiling the sausage.

We'll have turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy, dishes of various sorts with baked beans, string beans, and corn.  The kielbasa and sauerkraut is a favorite.  There will also be various desserts, Grace, our family's hottie college coed who appeared in some of the vacation pics I posted, loves to make enough of a great pumpkin roll for all to enjoy,

Everyone reports to the host family what they're bringing.  If they think it's a little light, they'll suggest other things.  I'll add German potato salad or braccoli & cauliflower and cheese if needed.

The result is plenty of great stuff to eat and enough leftovers to take home for a couple more dinners.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, dennis said:

chicken-300x200.jpeg

Tell e more about those sweet potatoes...please 

3 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Tell e more about those sweet potatoes...please 

I will likely cut it down.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/charred-sweet-potatoes-with-hot-honey-butter-and-lime

INGREDIENTS

• 8 small sweet potatoes (about 3 lb. total), scrubbed, halved lengthwise
  • ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • Kosher salt
  • 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature (so the hot sauce can be easily incorporated)
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 3 Tbsp. hot sauce (such as Tapatío or Cholula)
  • ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
  • 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
  • Flaky sea salt
  • Lime wedges (for serving)

RECIPE PREPARATION

• Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 425°. Place sweet potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with ¼ cup oil, and season with kosher salt. Turn to coat. Arrange cut side down and roast until tender (the tip of a knife should slide easily into flesh) and cut sides are browned, 25–30 minutes.

• Meanwhile, smash together butter and honey in a small bowl with a fork until smooth. Add hot sauce a tablespoonful at a time, blending well after each addition. Season hot honey butter with kosher salt.

• Cook pumpkin seeds and remaining ¼ cup oil in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until pumpkin seeds are golden brown, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in coriander; season with kosher salt.

• Arrange sweet potatoes on a platter and spread with hot honey butter. Sprinkle with sea salt and spoon pumpkin seed oil over. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.

• Do Ahead: Hot honey butter can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before using.