Straw ban unintended effects

Scrapr

Portland has got on the band wagon & banned straws. You can ask for a straw. But it doesn't come "standard".  I was in a drive through a couple weeks ago. Got a drink with my meal and guy hands me a cup (no straw) and asks in a round about way if I would like a straw. I did and he gave one freely

In the LCS this morning a patron got a cold coffee...iced coffee I guess is what the kids call it.  They ask him if he wants a sippee cup lid. WTF? Sippee cups? smh

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, wilbur said:

So, my solution to the straw problem is this:  Mandate that all plastics be recyclable.  Mandate that all trash be sorted and recycled.  Mandate the recycling process to be done in the state it is sold in.  No more offshoring trash. 

I like this idea. Shipping our recyclables overseas is how we ended up with so much garbage in the ocean. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, wilbur said:

So, my solution to the straw problem is this:  Mandate that all plastics be recyclable.  Mandate that all trash be sorted and recycled.  Mandate the recycling process to be done in the state it is sold in.  No more offshoring trash. 

all the resources and energy to make the straws, ship them places, collect the used ones, ship them other places, recycle them, ship them places, repeat...........

Or just don't do it in the first place.

It's my latest kick - instead of recycling, noncycling.  Returnable bottles and recycling have given us lazy excuses to overconsume and feel good about it.  I think those environmental efforts are a big reason we've become such a disposable society.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 12string said:

all the resources and energy to make the straws, ship them places, collect the used ones, ship them other places, recycle them, ship them places, repeat...........

Or just don't do it in the first place.

It's my latest kick - instead of recycling, noncycling.  Returnable bottles and recycling have given us lazy excuses to overconsume and feel good about it.  I think those environmental efforts are a big reason we've become such a disposable society.

People like straws and will pay the price to use them. 

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, wilbur said:

Recycling was sort of like Santa Claus. A big pervasive lie. Oh yeah, this all gets recycled. :rolleyes:

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

My friend Melody is handicapped..she has CP and if that wasn't challenging enough..she has been in at least 2 accidents that have made her life even more physically challenging..and the problems continue to get worse.....she needs a straw,,,there aint no if and or buts..she needs one..she has some  that are re-usable..but if you are out for dinner :dontknow:  Hell she even drinks her wine via a straw...for some people it is necessary...and for some folks a paper straw doesn't cut it due to clenching jaw issues .

We have become a disposable society...it would be good if we cut back on a lot of stuff..but we need to keep in mind that some of these things do serve a purpose for a portion of the population.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Recycling was sort of like Santa Claus. A big pervasive lie. Oh yeah, this all gets recycled. :rolleyes:

Only because we f'd it up. It still works if done correctly. Tin and aluminum still have value and should be recycled. The rest has value if it is clean. Most municipalities mess it up and it is worthless. That crap ends up in a landfill or thee ocean. Places that do it right can sell it for it's value. 

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I think straws are a little overdone, like when eating in in a fast food restaurant. Would it kill us to drink directly from the cup?  Well besides RR I mean. :D

I wouldn't mind if they did away with plastic straws.  I could carry around my own personal stainless steel straw in my shirt pocket protector.  :)

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Scrapr said:

Portland has got on the band wagon & banned straws. You can ask for a straw. But it doesn't come "standard".  I was in a drive through a couple weeks ago. Got a drink with my meal and guy hands me a cup (no straw) and asks in a round about way if I would like a straw. I did and he gave one freely

In the LCS this morning a patron got a cold coffee...iced coffee I guess is what the kids call it.  They ask him if he wants a sippee cup lid. WTF? Sippee cups? smh

You missed the KEY part of the new policy*- it is a restriction (NOT a BAN) on single-use plastic straws & other wasteful (and destructive) items.

And even a simple understanding of the rules - "Drive-through, take-out and delivery: You cannot automatically include plastic straws, stirrers, utensils or condiment packets with a customer’s order, but you may ask customers if they need any of these items." - shows that your poor drive thru guy was untrained?

12 hours ago, petitepedal said:

My friend Melody is handicapped..she has CP and if that wasn't challenging enough..she has been in at least 2 accidents that have made her life even more physically challenging..and the problems continue to get worse.....she needs a straw,,,there aint no if and or buts..she needs one..she has some  that are re-usable..but if you are out for dinner :dontknow:  Hell she even drinks her wine via a straw...for some people it is necessary...and for some folks a paper straw doesn't cut it due to clenching jaw issues .

We have become a disposable society...it would be good if we cut back on a lot of stuff..but we need to keep in mind that some of these things do serve a purpose for a portion of the population.

Not surprisingly, if a person reads the Portland rule, they realize that Portland is WELL AWARE some folks needing straws AND directly address it:

Access to straws for people with disabilities

Some people with disabilities find it difficult or impossible to drink without a straw, and plastic straws meet their needs better than paper or metal straws. Even if you would like to eliminate plastic straws entirely, we recommend you keep a small supply to provide when requested.

-------------------------------------------------------------

* for those too lazy to click the link, here's the gist of it:

What is the policy?

As of October 1, 2019, businesses in Portland cannot automatically include plastic straws, stirrers, utensils or individually packaged condiments in a customer’s order for dine-in, drive-through, take-out or delivery.

These items can only be provided upon customer request.

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

You missed the KEY part of the new policy*- it is a restriction (NOT a BAN) on single-use plastic straws & other wasteful (and destructive) items.

And even a simple understanding of the rules - "Drive-through, take-out and delivery: You cannot automatically include plastic straws, stirrers, utensils or condiment packets with a customer’s order, but you may ask customers if they need any of these items." - shows that your poor drive thru guy was untrained?

Not surprisingly, if a person reads the Portland rule, they realize that Portland is WELL AWARE some folks needing straws AND directly address it:

Access to straws for people with disabilities

Some people with disabilities find it difficult or impossible to drink without a straw, and plastic straws meet their needs better than paper or metal straws. Even if you would like to eliminate plastic straws entirely, we recommend you keep a small supply to provide when requested.

-------------------------------------------------------------

* for those too lazy to click the link, here's the gist of it:

What is the policy?

As of October 1, 2019, businesses in Portland cannot automatically include plastic straws, stirrers, utensils or individually packaged condiments in a customer’s order for dine-in, drive-through, take-out or delivery.

These items can only be provided upon customer request.

So you are at a drive through. You get a drink. They put a plastic lid on it (more plastic than a straw btw) and then you go to drink. Whaaa? How do i drink this? If I take the lid off it's going to spill in my car. Or my shirt front. But...if you ask (or they offer) a straw then everything is good? How many folks do you think decline a straw? .0001% (scientifically proven) How many straws are saved from the landfill? effectively zero. How is the Portland regulation helping....anything? It doesn't. it's feel good policy pandering to the high school crowd. Which somehow has determined that straws are the problem with plastics in our society. 

<rant off> 

Now about that plastic bag ban....

1 minute ago, Scrapr said:

So you are at a drive through. You get a drink. They put a plastic lid on it (more plastic than a straw btw) and then you go to drink. Whaaa? How do i drink this? If I take the lid off it's going to spill in my car. Or my shirt front. But...if you ask (or they offer) a straw then everything is good? How many folks do you think decline a straw? .0001% (scientifically proven) How many straws are saved from the landfill? effectively zero. How is the Portland regulation helping....anything? It doesn't. it's feel good policy pandering to the high school crowd. Which somehow has determined that straws are the problem with plastics in our society. 

<rant off> 

Now about that plastic bag ban....

It’s your state. :dontknow:

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, wilbur said:

Cups handled by who?  :)  

The same people who have been putting their hands all over your food, your plate, your fork...... If the cup is full of germs, it's also full of the  stuff your going to suck into your gut, straw or not.

And as for drive ins needing straws..... We're talking about the ways we can avoid messing up the environment - park the car and shut off the engine!  The walk in and out might help burn of 0.00003% of the double quarter pounder with cheese product.