broken stuff update

12string

I found a furnace!  After the warranty, that sets me back $600.  Plus $3800 installation.  But I think I qualify for rebates and 0 interest loans, so that's about $1300.  But I just had to overnight a new blower for the old unit, $675.  Hopefully I diagnosed the control board correctly, and I won't need that. too.  As of yesterday, no heat or hot water.  And we're setting record low temps.  And the heat in the lab at work is out, so it's cold about 22 hours a day.

The part came in for the exhaust fan.  Yeah, no way I'm exhausting what little bit of warm I've got in the house.

Found a broken window lock this morning in the basement.  The open window didn't help.  Probably let in a few critters, too.

And I got moved to an emergency project at work.  Testing broken stuff coming back from our customers.  In the unheated lab.

Have to drop the truck off tomorrow, hopefully I'll get good news about the broken manifold bolt.  I'll need the truck to pick up the furnace.

• Heart 3

14 minutes ago, 12string said:

I found a furnace!  After the warranty, that sets me back $600.  Plus $3800 installation.  But I think I qualify for rebates and 0 interest loans, so that's about $1300.  But I just had to overnight a new blower for the old unit, $675.  Hopefully I diagnosed the control board correctly, and I won't need that. too.  As of yesterday, no heat or hot water.  And we're setting record low temps.  And the heat in the lab at work is out, so it's cold about 22 hours a day.

The part came in for the exhaust fan.  Yeah, no way I'm exhausting what little bit of warm I've got in the house.

Found a broken window lock this morning in the basement.  The open window didn't help.  Probably let in a few critters, too.

And I got moved to an emergency project at work.  Testing broken stuff coming back from our customers.  In the unheated lab.

Have to drop the truck off tomorrow, hopefully I'll get good news about the broken manifold bolt.  I'll need the truck to pick up the furnace.

Do you want to form a sub forum?

18 minutes ago, Dottie said:

By the end of February, this will have paid for itself. Which means afterwards I have, on average, about $1500 annual savings because of it.  Plus I get to build cool expensive platforms and sheds.

https://www.harmanstoves.com/products/accentra52i-tc-pellet-insert

That “paid for itself” include the platform & barn?

• Haha 1
  • Envious 1

13 minutes ago, Dottie said:

No.  I gotta burn another 6 years for that.  But.... I needed/wanted a shed anyway.  And I know it increased the value of my home -- it's fixed... certainly will help in the sale. 

Perhaps.  On the other hand, the house itself will really matter more than the shed.

Of course your housing market is completely off the rails.  I could make money by paying to have my house trucked across the country to there.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Dottie said:

No.  I gotta burn another 6 years for that.  But.... I needed/wanted a shed anyway.  And I know it increased the value of my home -- it's fixed... certainly will help in the sale. 

Not sure how much use you’ll get out of a shed that’s continually full of pellets. 

2 hours ago, 2Far said:

Not sure how much use you’ll get out of a shed that’s continually full of pellets. 

2 hours ago, Dottie said:

I was thinking about putting a sofa in there in case jsharr comes to visit.

Maybe you could put put an air bed up in the loft for him. Less chance of an incident. :rolleyes:

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, 12string said:

Geez! If it weren't for bad luck...!

$3800 is ridiculous. Sorry about that.

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

$3800? Does that include all new duck work?

It's a boiler.  The water has no ducks.  They wouldn't work.  But still comes with a big bill.

There is some mechanical mounting, and the gas, and water in and out pipes will extend about a foot each.  Even with removal and startup, maybe 8 hours for 2 people.  I apparently chose the wrong career.

BUT, I do finally have heat and hot water.  Installed the blower at lunchtime, system is up and running!  Anybody want to buy a month old blower, available sometime in December?

22 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

For $3,800 I would do it myself. Even if it took me more than eight hours I’d still be ahead.

I tried.  No one will sell me the boiler unless I have a licensed installer.  And It needs special equipment to do start up, no HVAC people will do the start up after I install it.  I don't the the township will give me a permit without an installer.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 12string said:

I tried.  No one will sell me the boiler unless I have a licensed installer.  And It needs special equipment to do start up, no HVAC people will do the start up after I install it.  I don't the the township will give me a permit without an installer.

I always figure anything they can’t see you doing doesn’t need a permit but if they won’t sell it to you you’re screwed.

1 hour ago, 12string said:

The HVAC people protect their turf...

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, 12string said:

When I installed the stairlift for my wife it didn’t work. I called a company that sells and services stairlifts and they said they could make a service call but if it wasn’t installed correctly they would have to remove it and do a complete re-install at a fee of $800. The crew showed up and said it was installed perfectly, it just needed new batteries and one fuse. Total cost of the batteries and the service call $225. Service people don’t like fixing someone else’s screwups.

On 11/14/2019 at 5:01 PM, 12string said:

The first home I bought had an old forced-air gas furnace and I didn't realize it was so old the fan had to be oiled regularly.  The fan died after a couple years.  I had a strong floor fan I used in the summer and wired its power cord into where the furnace's fan's power originated and was able to duct-tape it into position to blow air through the furnace and ducts.  When the workers can to install the new furnace in a couple days, they were impressed with my forced air solution!

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

When I installed the stairlift for my wife it didn’t work. I called a company that sells and services stairlifts and they said they could make a service call but if it wasn’t installed correctly they would have to remove it and do a complete re-install at a fee of $800. The crew showed up and said it was installed perfectly, it just needed new batteries and one fuse. Total cost of the batteries and the service call $225. Service people don’t like fixing someone else’s screwups.

MIL has been having trouble with her furnace. The exhaust is routed up an unused chimney. What does hot exhaust air do when it meets cold outside air. If you chose make water you are correct sir. Which backed up onto some control boards. Furnace was put in about 5 years by an unlicensed hack. I was so mad at FIL for doing that. 

Local HVAC company was out today to quote. $3400 after rebates. Install Friday after thanksgiving. i asked about replacing parts on the existing furnace. they don't want to touch anyone eles work. Because you touch it you own it/ they will be rerouting the exhaust & condesent drain

22 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

MIL has been having trouble with her furnace. The exhaust is routed up an unused chimney. What does hot exhaust air do when it meets cold outside air. If you chose make water you are correct sir. Which backed up onto some control boards. Furnace was put in about 5 years by an unlicensed hack. I was so mad at FIL for doing that. 

Local HVAC company was out today to quote. $3400 after rebates. Install Friday after thanksgiving. i asked about replacing parts on the existing furnace. they don't want to touch anyone eles work. Because you touch it you own it/ they will be rerouting the exhaust & condesent drain

I never hire unlicensed hacks, I do it myself.

• Heart 1