License Plate Anti-Theft Screws

MickinMD

After two license plate thefts, I'm going to try these security license plate screws (Metric 6-16 is the size for my Honda Fit).

I tried the same kind of screws last after the first theft two years but I didn't realize there's a difference between plain T30 screws - that don't have the pin in the middle of the recessed area - and T30's with a pin. It's the pin that keeps a flat head screwdriver, etc. from getting into the recessed area.  The T30 bit I had when I ordered them two years ago wasn't for the pin variety and so it didn't work and I returned them not knowing there was a different kind of T30 bit.  I ordered the T30 with pin bolts that come with the bit and I bought a cheap T30 screwdriver with a hole for the pin in case I lose the bit and need to take the plates off - I won't lose the screwdriver in my car's tool kit.

I couldn't find it any cheaper on Amazon with less than 25 pieces:

2122418810_Torx30withPinBoltBit.JPG.c20811a7deba5ec476fec865041f9868.JPG

The 3-star rating for the screwdriver is due to it taking a month to ship - the reviewer said it works fine. I won't need it before then. The shaft disappearing off to the left is a longer shaft with another T-30 bit with a hole in the middle for the pin.

1837676834_Torx30withpinscrewdriver.thumb.jpg.b0802803648f6967689930193c8d558e.jpg

• Heart 1

I'm having a different license plate issue. Recently I got a bill for $127 from the Chicago Transit Authority (not the band) for going through tolls without paying. Photo shows the plate number but not clearly enough to tell the state issuing it. The troubles are (1) I haven't driven near Chicago in about a decade, and (2) I gave up that plate many years ago. It was CYCLING and I no longer needed a third car after my daughter bought her own and moved out of state.

I submitted paperwork to fight the charges. CTA is very corrupt and inefficient. I can see this being a long fight especially if someone actually owning that plate drives in the Chicago area often.

39 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I'm having a different license plate issue. Recently I got a bill for $127 from the Chicago Transit Authority (not the band) for going through tolls without paying. Photo shows the plate number but not clearly enough to tell the state issuing it. The troubles are (1) I haven't driven near Chicago in about a decade, and (2) I gave up that plate many years ago. It was CYCLING and I no longer needed a third car after my daughter bought her own and moved out of state.

I submitted paperwork to fight the charges. CTA is very corrupt and inefficient. I can see this being a long fight especially if someone actually owning that plate drives in the Chicago area often.

I’ve heard that most places don’t push the issue of a disputed charge based on a crappy photo but it’s hard to tell with Chicago? 

45 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

You are good until you get stopped in Chicago for a minor traffic violation.  That's when the patrol office is notified of your outstanding bench warrant.  

Don't drop the soap.

8 hours ago, donkpow said:

I don't believe I have ever known anyone who has had a license plate stolen.

The county cops tell me it happens a lot.  I live on a corner house where the front road is narrow and inconvenient to park on and the side road's street lights are far enough apart that it makes the cars an easy target and a few of us have had plates stolen.

The thieves figure the plate will not be missed until after they put it on a car they steal and drive it to wherever they take it - where the cops will be looking for a different license plate if the car has been reported stolen.  Then the thieves just throw the stolen plate away.

Since the Maryland Motor Vehicle Admin. doesn't charge to replace the plates, I wondered if I should put the anti-theft screws on - it might lead to thieves making extra efforts to get the plates, scratching up the car.

But the couple hours of time spent reporting the theft to the local police and getting a case number, then going to the MVA plus the fact the plates might be stolen the night before I'm scheduled to drive out of town, etc. makes me get the anti-theft screws.

• Heart 1