So, I won't be judging at debate tournaments anymore.

MoseySusan

On 11/16/2019 at 7:00 PM, roadsue said:

I'm not happy because this is yet another moment of "We don't accept your kind, here." I'm exhausted by this lifelong struggle to define myself as someone worthwhile, who has much to contribute, instead of someone who, according to my dad, "will always be white trash." He refused to support my desire to go to college. That was beyond my raisin'. 

Your dad was wrong.  And this angers me. 

There comes a point in every life where we must decide - continue the cycle or break it.  How could your father look at the intelligent, beautiful daughter he was raising and not make the choice to break the cycle?

I read something recently that hit me: “trauma is not your fault, but healing is your responsibility.”  Your father needed to heal.

Susan, over the years that we’ve interacted on these Forums, I’ve come to recognize and enjoy the amazing value of your intellect. Stop struggling. Simply be.  

The world can be a crappy place.  Some things we can change, others we can’t.  But we can always inspire those with whom we have influence.  Your family, your students, your friends, all recognize your worth.  

I see farther down in this that you are planning on protesting the decision. Good for you. Speak your peace (intentional) and show your students how much strength, grace, class and refinement you possess. 

Be, Susan.

Peace this day. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1