How is your hockey team doing?

Prophet Zacharia

8 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I think the Ducks are in a losing streak.  But I just can’t get behind hockey so really don’t know how they are doing overall.

4-4-2 in last ten games, so while they’ve lost 6 out of 10, two of those went to OT/Shootout, so they got a point. So they’ve been “NHL .500” during that time, and sit one point out of a wild card playoff position.

• Awesome 1

Wings are arguably the worst team in the league.  They're on a hot streak though going 4-4-2 over the last 10.  

They've got one line that's pretty good and a second line that is two players away from being pretty good.  No one the defensive would make a top 4 pairing on a team that has a chance to make the playoffs.  Also, the goalie situation is pretty bad.

So I keep an eye on the Wings AHL affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins.  The 1st round draft pick from 2 years ago, Zadina, started slow (2 points, -12) in the first 10 games but now has 11 points and is a -7 after 16 games.  the other 1st round pick from two years ago, Veleno, started worse (0 points and -12) now has 7 points but is a -14.  Last years 1st round pick Seider, has been pretty consistent and has 8 points but is a -3.  

The #1 goalie prospect, Larsson, has a .85 save percentage.  The Wings should have drafted Spencer Knight in the first round.

My guess is the Wings won't be a team that has the talent to win a playoff series for at least 3 more seasons.  

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Shirley there is no sadness in Wings Nation over Mike getting canned?

I am saddened.  I have a lot of respect for Babcock.   

Since the Leaf were almost always on on Saturday nights, I've always semi-followed them.  Since the Wings are challenging to watch, I've been following the Leafs more closely than usual. 

Very few of the issues facing Toronto now are of Babcock's doing.  The Leafs had no defense last year and it was clear going into 2019/20 season they didn't do enough to make it better during the summer.  Andersen's save % is like .915 which won't get him into the hall of fame but is good enough to keep them in most games.  The problem is they have no backup goalie.  Both backups have save % under .880 (.879 and .842) and have a total of zero wins in 7 games played: 7 of the Leafs 10 loses.  All those issues are problems created by the GM, not the coach.

Babcock was fired not because he was the problem but because Leaf Nation was mad they lost 6 games in a row.  Throwing temper tantrums rarely solves problems.  Without Babcock, the Leafs still have a shaky defense and goalie situation and now they have a coach with little NHL experience.

There hasn't been a desire nor need to produce a winning team in Toronto for decades.  They are the most desired and highest priced ticket in the league and constantly produce highest sales for the NHL.  Problems start with ownership.  Losing costs them nothing.  The fan base is rock solid. 

Besides, it's all those Swedes and Norwegians skating around playing tidily winks.  They need to hit or fight or something.  :) 

From what I can tell, there are TWO conferences - the Eastern and Western - and within each conference are two divisions!  Looks like the Caps are atop the points (a good thing???), but the two scrappy PA teams are fighting to get above some arbitrary line. No chance they will pull it off this late in the season.

image.thumb.png.4a6f102ec139877970f99988f52b24fe.png

image.thumb.png.563287f66a008929e1fa3af859d69de4.png

image.thumb.png.e1447e8f21d0d1a599aa6dc97431f242.png

image.thumb.png.64fb12dabf42b10863b8cdfd3315fe3d.png

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Caps are atop the points (a good thing???), but the two scrappy PA teams are fighting to get above some arbitrary line. No chance they will pull it off this late in the season.

I’ll say one complimentary thing about the Caps: they only go full speed. They (almost) never have a slow start or lag during the regular season. 118, 120, 121 points in recent years is pretty spectacular. Now, in most of the years past they’ve suffered when other teams pick up their play in the playoffs, they don’t have another gear. 

But you do know that the season is only 1/4 way done, yes?

18 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

But you do know that the season is only 1/4 way done, yes?

Un-possible. That puts the season out into the END of Spring and almost into Summer.  Only insane and daft people would be playing ice sports in early spring, let alone late spring!

All that being said, it still looks like the dreaded Caps are Numero Uno these days.

11 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I don't think it matter how my team is doing.  Last year someone was nice enough to knock off Tampa, and then the Capitols.  We had home ice advantage and were favored to win.  We lost in 7 at home.

First in the Atlantic. They’re doing just fine.

We keep getting OT loser points. 4-2-4 in the last 10. Not great but tolerable playing without Crosby, Letang, Hornqvist, Bjugstad and now Schultz. Playing NJ tonight, hoping for a W in regulation time, please.

• 3 weeks later...