I Find It Sort Of Funny

Razors Edge

...and now sort of sick (considering Tua's injury), that when I watch a college football game, there may be DOZENS of folks on the field, sidelines, and booth making 6 , 7, or even 8 digit salaries and not a single one of them is actually playing the game. :(

This nugget from a story I read this weekend was about a relatively crappy coach of a relatively crappy team who is making $4.4 million a year (USC Gamecocks).  What does Tua's college insurance coverage give him if he never recovers? Does @2Far know?

IMG_8203.thumb.jpg.1586b3ad98c0ff6b1de103699169522f.jpg

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How much does the soon to be former coach of the woeful MSU Spartans pull in?

Base compensation

2017 guaranteed pay: $4,114,480

Total contract pay: $34,101,680

Contract length: rolling 6 year term

Start date: 1/1/2016

Expires: 1/15/2023

Incentives

Retention bonus: $700,000 every July 1; $4,300,000 if he’s still the coach on 1/15/20

National title bonus: $375,000

CFP semifinal win: $300,000

CFP semifinal appearance: $275,000

Conference title bonus: $100,000

Conference regular season division title bonus: $100,000

Coach of the year award bonus: $25,000 for conference coach of year; $50,000 for national coach of year

Car: two cars

Tickets: 60 tickets to home games, including 24 for a suite; season tickets for football (6), hockey (4), men’s and women’s basketball (4).

Golf/country club: membership in country club of coach’s choice, Michigan Athletic Club and University Club of Michigan State University.

Private jet use: 25 hours of private jet use a year; one-year,

Other Perks

Miscellaneous perks: $2,000,000 term life insurance; $1,000,000 contract if he stops coaching 1/15/20 — salary rises to $1,700,000 if he starts after that date.

Buyout if coach leaves for another coaching job: $875,000

Just now, Kzoo said:

Base compensation

2017 guaranteed pay: $4,114,480

Total contract pay: $34,101,680

Contract length: rolling 6 year term

Start date: 1/1/2016

Expires: 1/15/2023

Incentives

Retention bonus: $700,000 every July 1; $4,300,000 if he’s still the coach on 1/15/20

National title bonus: $375,000

CFP semifinal win: $300,000

CFP semifinal appearance: $275,000

Conference title bonus: $100,000

Conference regular season division title bonus: $100,000

Coach of the year award bonus: $25,000 for conference coach of year; $50,000 for national coach of year

Car: two cars

Tickets: 60 tickets to home games, including 24 for a suite; season tickets for football (6), hockey (4), men’s and women’s basketball (4).

Golf/country club: membership in country club of coach’s choice, Michigan Athletic Club and University Club of Michigan State University.

Private jet use: 25 hours of private jet use a year; one-year,

Other Perks

Miscellaneous perks: $2,000,000 term life insurance; $1,000,000 contract if he stops coaching 1/15/20 — salary rises to $1,700,000 if he starts after that date.

Buyout if coach leaves for another coaching job: $875,000

JEEBUS.  MSU must be run by a seriously moranic group of alumni!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

But.................could you do the job?

I would absolutely have no problem coaching a team to consecutive losses to Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Illinois, and Michigan, and I would do it for half the price!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I would absolutely have no problem coaching a team to consecutive losses to Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Illinois, and Michigan, and I would do it for half the price!

There's the difference.  Anyone can coach a team into losing.  Doing it while convincing people to pay you the big bucks takes talent.

17 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

There's the difference.  Anyone can coach a team into losing.  Doing it while convincing people to pay you the big bucks takes talent.

The coaching without the players is what would really take talent!  I can't imagine winning many games with no players on the field, but a whole lot of coaches, staff, and commentators.

I read an article a few years ago that said only around a dozen big schools are making a profit from their football programs and most are each a money pit for for millions of student dollars.  That's claimed as the reason fewer colleges each year have football programs.

They should say the reason fewer are having football programs is the built-in huge costs for coaches, travel, and the ridiculous "red shirt freshman" year where colleges keep almost all their recruits out of games their first year so they can play them a year older and bigger for 4 years - 5 years of scholarships to play football 4 years!

Just now, MickinMD said:

around a dozen big school

I'd be shocked if it was just a dozen.  I could see the top 30 or 50 breaking just above even or turning big bucks.  Certainly, most big conference schools would be at that level.  Especially considering that there is often a lot of sharing across conferences of revenue from post season events and TV rights.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I read an article a few years ago that said only around a dozen big schools are making a profit from their football programs and most are each a money pit for for millions of student dollars.  That's claimed as the reason fewer colleges each year have football programs.

The football programs themselves make money. Lots & lots of it. What i think you are referring to is if the Athletic Dept is positive cash flow....profit. Very few do. Maybe a half a dozen. The private schools don't typically report. SoCal, Stanford, Notre Dames. So can't tell how many more to add there. Maybe another half dozen. 

The ahtletic Depts share the cash flow from football across all other Non revenue sports. Swimming, Volleyball, Golf. And subsidizes the other Rev sports that bring in smaller amounts of Rev...Softball, WBB Track & Field. 

5 hours ago, Scrapr said:

The football programs themselves make money. Lots & lots of it. What i think you are referring to is if the Athletic Dept is positive cash flow....profit. Very few do. Maybe a half a dozen. The private schools don't typically report. SoCal, Stanford, Notre Dames. So can't tell how many more to add there. Maybe another half dozen. 

The ahtletic Depts share the cash flow from football across all other Non revenue sports. Swimming, Volleyball, Golf. And subsidizes the other Rev sports that bring in smaller amounts of Rev...Softball, WBB Track & Field. 

Only at the larger schools.  I read a few months ago that the football program at Western Michigan University cost the school a million dollars a year out of the general fund and this is typical for most schools.  They make it up in quantity.  Actually it's donors to the school.