Tomorrow could be a sad day at casa de jsharr

jsharr

Back in 2009 Martha bought herself a dachsund pup.  She named him Rascal, which over the years evolved into Rascal "Little Shit" sharr.   He is like most dachsunds, full of fight, rearing to go and nothing will stop him, not even a broken back which left him with semi useable back legs and a bowel and bladder that work without his awareness or input....

I am really surprised he made it to 10 years old with his back issues, but he has.

Lately, he has been showing signs of kidney failure and we have an appointment to have him checked out tomorrow at 3:30

There is a better than zero chance that he will not be coming home with us.  

I knew this day was coming and I am not looking forward to it.  Martha could not be in the room when Sparky took her last breathe and if that happens tomorrow, I am not sure she can be there with Rascal either, meaning that I will be the one holding him as he passes.

• Sad 20
  • Hugs 2

I'm so sorry.  It's never easy when our loved companions and family members aren't well.  I will keep the JSharr family in my thoughts.  One thing I know for sure is that Rascal was blessed to have such a good family for this long (and I'm sure you were all lucky to have him).

It got dusty in here all of a sudden.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, smudge said:

Really??!! You tell us this sad story and then you post a most adorable pic of the little guy??!! Thanks for the warning! ?

Good luck little Rascal and dad! ♥️

That was probably the day he came home for the first time.

He did not come home today.

• Sad 17
  • Hugs 2

I’m sorry. I hope you and the family take comfort in knowing Rascal isn’t feeling upset. 

We have Sapphire buried in the backyard, and we planted a wild rose to mark the place. During the summer, there’s about an hour of the day when the sun shines through a nearby tree casting a shaft of light directly where he’s buried, and the roses just glow. It is beautiful.  

• Heart 3

I am so sorry, and if you want company, I'm crying too.  Rascal was lucky to have a family who loved him so much, took such good care of him over the years and through his health issues and was willing to make the tough decision when it was in Rascal's best interest.

Even knowing it's the right decision, I know it must be incredibly hard for you and your family and you are all in my thoughts. 

• Heart 1

I was hoping for the best, and now I am sad for you and your family.  I will only say that Rascal clearly had the BEST parents a pup could hope for and you gave that little pup a wonderful home here on earth.  I am sure you and your family have great memories that will stay with you forever. I am very sorry for your loss. :(

• Heart 1

Thanks for all your kind words, thoughts, and prayers.  They are all needed and appreciated.

It was a very weird night and morning.  The dynamic in our house has changed.  Rascal and Romeo played a lot and made a lot of noise.   That sound was missing last night and this morning. Rascal snored, so that sound was missing.  Every morning Rascal would get up when I got up and would be waiting at our bedroom door to be let out and as he ran down the hall he would always stop and look back at me to make sure I was coming.

He also would politely demand to be fed first thing in the morning and after he ate he would want up on the couch next to me and would snuggle and get belly rubs as I drank my morning coffee and watched the morning news.

None of that happened today and the kitchen was eerily quiet.   

Even putting on my socks and boots has changed as Rascal would come sit at my feet to get more petting as I sat in my chair and put them on.

This is going to take some getting used to.  Going to have to keep an eye on Romeo to see how he adjusts to not having his running buddy.   

• Sad 4
  • Hugs 4

8 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Hang it there. Yes, it takes a while to adjust after one is gone.  I still think of some of ours during certain activities or situations, but memories are good.

Very few days go by when I do not think of Sparky, our border collie.  Rascal will always be remembered as well, as he was part of our daily routine for a decade. 

• Heart 1