Computer monitor question

petitepedal

So the monitor on my computer at work has been blinking randomly to "no signal"  I figured (and so did the maintenance guy) that we needed a new monitor...so we plugged in a brand new one out of the box (did not change cables) and it has gone blank briefly once or twice in the couple hours it was on...  :dontknow: Change cables? or call the outside IT folks :dontknow:  Any thoughts?

Tell the computer guy you need a Mac.

I guess on a serious note. Sounds more like a cable or graphic card (or lack d a dedicated graphic card) issue. First thing to do would be test the old and new monitor by hooking up to a different computer that doesn't have a monitor cut out issue. If the problem persists on that computer, then it is the monitor.

46 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Tell the computer guy you need a Mac.

I guess on a serious note. Sounds more like a cable or graphic card (or lack d a dedicated graphic card) issue. First thing to do would be test the old and new monitor by hooking up to a different computer that doesn't have a monitor cut out issue. If the problem persists on that computer, then it is the monitor.

A big Mac.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Indy said:

I've seen monitors themselves fail this way.  The signal processing in the monitor is failing so it doesn't think it's getting a signal when it is.

That is why I was suggesting, with this being a work environment and multiple computers, swap the monitor for a day or so between two workstations. If the monitor has problems at the new workstation, then it is a monitor problem processing the signal, but if the new monitor on Petites workstation keeps cutting out when it worked fine on the other workstation, then it is a computer issue getting the signal to the monitor - either video card or cable. The cable is cheap so no need to run a test (switching between computers), but if keeps cutting out with new cable, then graphic card is the issue. In that case, get a graphic card with dedicated memory rather than the shared memory motherboard (cheap) graphic solution that manufacturers resorted to, and probably in a workstation. That also assumes that they were not cheap on the motherboard and actually has a slot for a graphic card.

• Heart 2

13 hours ago, petitepedal said:

So the monitor on my computer at work has been blinking randomly to "no signal"

By random, you mean during ACTIVE use or just randomly when you are not actively engaged? A monitor will generally get a "no signal" if the PC decides it is time to go into a power save situation. That configuration could have changed with a patch/update or through some direct but unintended action. Likewise, sometimes when it goes to "sleep", sometimes it won't readily turn back on.

If it is flaking out during ACTIVE use, then there are several easy ways to slowly work through diagnosing the issue. The first, obviously, is making sure the cable is secure at both places - older cables even let you secure the connector with screws.  If it persists, swapping to another cable is a quick check.  Then, if it still happens, you may be able to switch to a new PORT - ie from using an HDMI to using a VGA or DVI or DisplayPort port & cable (will vary greatly by PC and monitor which options you have).  Likewise, assuming that it is still happening, then grabbing a working monitor from another person (swapping) will show if it fixes YOUR problem and causes THEM the same problem.  Also, with a desktop, there is often both "on-board" graphics and sometimes a video card, so if using the video card (recommended), you can switch to the on-board one on the back of the CPU. If the desktop gets jostled around or can be accidentally bumped, it is possible the graphics card came loose enough where it does not seat fully in the video card slot and is subject to small movements causing issues. Also, a video card can easily be replaced if it is just bad, but that would be someone else's problem to fix.

I've had far more monitors go bad over the years - usually just dying outright - than I have had graphics cards go bad. I have also had cables go bad - even the power cable needs to be checked periodically - to know that there is no "this is definitely your issue" answer.  Just work through the process in a logical way, and you'll likely find the culprit - whether OS, hardware, or cable related.