LAJ news

Parsnip Totin Jack

Wo7 drove out yesterday and found a letter from the eye doctor that was postmarked October 7. LAJ hadn’t bothered to open it. Inside were post-op instructions from his last cataract surgery. Also in there were pre-op instructions, directions to obtain a physical before the next cataract surgery, scheduled for Dec 4. She is taking him to the eye doctor today to see if he is still good for cataract surgery on the 4th. If that’s correct she won’t come back until after that. She is meeting with the social service people tomorrow 

Short story with out the good stuff you get by mining the past stories:

LAJ is my wife’s oldest brother. When he was 18 he announced to the family that since he was an adult he wasn’t eating vegetables anymore. He is 63 now, diabetic, chronic kidney disease and on dialysis 3 days a week. He lived with us briefly when we were in OH. He is living with his son, Robert-the-Jedi (RtJ). RtJ wants Dad’s lazy-ass out of his house. Wife is working with Medicare, Social Security, and OH senior services to get him into assisted living arrangements. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

I will give your wife credit for sticking in there and dealing with this, she must be a saint as I would've said, "not my problem" long ago.

True statement. I married her because I saw her caring qualities. I wasn’t prepared for this though. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Will you be up in Cincinnati around Thanksgiving? I will be so maybe we can meet up.

We moved my BIL to a new nursing home and are about 90% done with the paperwork. Of course the last 10% takes more effort. 

Dealing with that with Mother In Law.  In the process of moving her, actually moving after Thanksgiving.  Place she's currently in is not being the most helpful and need information from them as we need to place her in a memory care facility due to her dementia.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Old#7 said:

Lazy-ass Joe. Haven’t you been keeping up on the story? It’s an oldie. 

As someone who has trouble remembering names (I think that's a result of having taught thousands of teenagers) I appreciate the naming. I remember the story but not the name.

Many colleges request letters of recommendations from high schoolers' highest-level science teacher and I'd tell my physics or gifted-talented chemistry kids, "If you ask me for a letter of recommendation in a year or two, don't be upset if I can't remember your name.  I'll remember how you did in my class, that I taught your brother two years before you, that he went to college at Duke, and that your sister is on the varsity basketball team, but I'm awful with names!"

46 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Will you be up in Cincinnati around Thanksgiving? I will be so maybe we can meet up.

We moved my BIL to a new nursing home and are about 90% done with the paperwork. Of course the last 10% takes more effort. 

I will not be there for Thanksgiving. I am sad that I will miss the chance to meet you and share stories, but I am not sad about missing everything else. I will cook turkey and jambalaya here in VA and speak with my wife by phone if she isn’t back by then. I’ll let you know when I will be out there as I am the beast of burden that will bring LAJ his twin bed and assist chair when he moves into assisted living. We will need to have a backup plan because Murphy’s law says he won’t be in there long before he has to move.

• Heart 1