Salad question

Further

The greens don't seem to have the right texture, they're a bit waxy. Are the packaged salad greens being coated with something ?

I think they are. And I think it has some laxative qualities.

We fuck up all the good stuff. Greens and fish should be the healthiest foods, instead they are a crap shoot for  E-coli and mercury poisoning.

Yet, life expediency is longer and people are a hell of lot taller, seems like a conundrum....   

1 hour ago, Further said:

I like the mixed greens, but I'm rethinking that

Please do.  Last time I looked into this, because I had an allergic reaction, greens are washed with ammonia and ozone.  Then sprayed with chemical preservatives and a little wax to prevent O2 exposure.  When they are bagged, they add a gas mixture to the bag that minimizes decay.  CO2 was the primary gas.  Can't remember what the other was.   

You are way better off chopping some fresh lettuce and rinsing and drying in a salad spinner.  It tastes way better too.  

• Heart 3

9 minutes ago, Don Cherry said:

Please do.  Last time I looked into this, because I had an allergic reaction, greens are washed with ammonia and ozone.  Then sprayed with chemical preservatives and a little wax to prevent O2 exposure.  When they are bagged, they add a gas mixture to the bag that minimizes decay.  CO2 was the primary gas.  Can't remember what the other was.   

You are way better off chopping some fresh lettuce and rinsing and drying in a salad spinner.  It tastes way better too.  

Well said. Head lettuce tends to be cheaper too. And available at local markets if you are not growing your own. 

• Heart 1

Just watched the Great Courses Everyday Gourmet: cooking with vegetables: greens and lettuces.

He made hot bacon-wrapped endive salad with fingerling potatoes; parsley salad with garlic and parmesan; and bacon and egg salad.

Pretty cool Kale salad as well with a topenade. 

https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/films/title/salad-greens-and-lettuces

Discover how to store, wash, dry, and revive salad greens to make satisfying dishes, including a simple butter lettuce salad; tomato, arugula, and mozzarella salad with pesto dressing; kale salad with tapenade and pecorino; hot bacon-wrapped endive salad with fingerling potatoes; parsley salad with garlic and parmesan; and bacon and egg salad.