Worse Work Related Injury?

ChrisL

I never got too banged up as a civilian but had to miss time due to a concussion as a result of a traffic accident while driving for work.  I also fell off a rappel tower in the Army due to faulty equipment and that jacked me up pretty good.  I was on light duty for a while.  

Other than soreness due to fights I never missed any other time due to an injury.

I’ve had some bad hangovers, but nothing to go the hospital over. On a lunch bike ride, I tapped wheels and went down. Fractured my collarbone. Left work early and got the X-rays to prove it. Nothing too serious, riding again in 3 weeks, all healed up in six. Orthopedic doctor told me not to ride the “skinny tire” bikes. I told him I won’t tell him how to operate on people if he agrees not to tell me how to ride.

• Heart 1

This could get real ugly real fast.  My worst was probably the head wound and concussion I got jumping onto a boat at the dock when I forgot to duck and hit my head on the top of the boat, or the bad contussion to me leg that I got from trying to step onto the back of a ski boat and completely missing and falling with my leg between the dock and the boat.

Thought I broke the leg, but it was just badly bruised.

3 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

My last company had a lady get her loose sweatshirt caught in a machine. Ripped off half her face, and nearly kilt her.  Her 2nd such injury, the other was decades earlier.

Stephen King writes short stories about things like that!

• Heart 1

I was at a safety confab yesterday. The topic was complacency. One of the guys related a story of Bob, who was the machine expert, the guru of all thing mechanical, the go-to guy when things were FUBAR.

Bob came in on his day off, had cleared the machine, then reached over the safety curtain to cycle the mechanism. When he hit the contacts with the extended screwdriver, the front of it rose up suddenly and cut Bob in half.

OK, there was a time when I landed at Aspen and the ground crew didn't chock the nose wheel.  It was snowing and windy so I got out of the airplane, pulled my jacket hood up, grabbed a pair of chocks and walked straight into the pitot tube.  Fortunately, it was still hot enough to sear the circular cut in my forehead.  :) 

• Heart 3

The school in which I taught was originally open-space - incomplete walls between classrooms, and several of us teachers occasionally built our own walls using our own labor and money.  At some point, it became cheaper to use metal studs instead of wooden ones. I'd never worked with them before.  Standing on top of a counter, I grabbed one of the metal studs for balance, not realizing the edges were as sharp as razors.  I could feel it cutting three fingers, near the inside of the last knuckles and the tips of the fingers and instantly realized I had to let go and let myself fall to avoid more damage.

I wasn't hurt by the fall, had other teachers wrap my hand and I drove to the emergency of a hospital that was very close to the school. The doctor who stitched the fingers on my right hand said that I just barely avoided permanent nerve damage and let go just in time. The skin on the ring and middle fingers was just barely attached enough that they could be stitched without needing a skin graft. I got something like 6 stitches in the ring finger, 9 in the middle finger, and 3 in the index finger, the current scars shown in the pic below.  I was extremely lucky it wasn't worse and that there was no permanent damage and that it happened to my right hand and I am left handed. I didn't miss any time at work but I had to have the hand treated as an accident that occurred at home since we weren't authorized to be doing construction at the school! Fortunately insurance covered it all.

20191120_155512clar_900p.jpg.9508574bc0b650d3f3fbd2fb9132eece.jpg

• Heart 1