Day one of new diet/lifestyle

goldendesign

Maybe not a diet as much but a new approach to eating. Since I have to switch off my lupus meds they want me to go full anti inflammatory in the diet instead. Means one serving of meat a week, 1-2 servings of dairy a week, lots of fruits and veggies, beans, whole/cracked grains, and a few more hippy rabbit stuff.

I eat quite a bit of fruit and veggies but red meat has always been a big staple in my diet. Gonna see how it plays out.

Today is no breakfast as I fasted from my overly gorging brunch yesterday as I have blood work at nine this morning.

Lunch I have fruit: red plum, cantaloupe, peach, blueberries, and cherries. Veggies: sugar snap peas, edamame, green pepper, tomato, and cucumber. Protein: 15 bean soup I crock potted last night. 

I also bought a pound of raw walnuts as my snack material.

WoG was wanting to go full switch as she eats very lttle meat to begin with but as this is my first week, day, then I want to see how it plays out with myself before I buy a lot of new groceries.

As a side note yesterday I weighed 174 after my gorging. This morning I was 168.5 Heres hoping the weight loss is a trend as well as I could use to lose another 20 too.

Who here keeps a mostly meatless diet? How do you prepare your lunches & dinners? How was the switch?

• Heart 1

Good luck in your new diet.  I have been eating less meat but not as stringent as yours.  Trying to lose weight and eat healthier I am eating more vegetables, legumes and whole grains.  I like roasting cauliflower with olive oil, salt, pepper and whole garlic cloves.  Roasting brings out a sweetness that steaming or boiling can't.  Tonight I'm going to make lentil and barley jambalaya for the first time.  I'll let you know how that turns out.  1 cup lentils, half cup pearl barley, onion, celery, bell pepper, a can of diced tomatoes and chiles with some spices cooked in chicken broth.

• Heart 1

you go golden!

I'm starting back on the treadmill today.  Simply not finding the time for the bike like I should, but I think I can fit 45 minutes into the day each day.

Treadmill 3 or 4 times per week and body weight workout (ala army basic training) 2 days/week.   Might try to fit some yoga in on Sundays.

I have not eaten any meat for about 15 years now, and I am dairy free at home, and try to be dairy free if I eat out as well.  I eat a lot of lentils and beans. I love soups, even in the summer.  I also do a fair amount of tofu, but very little fake meat products.  It takes time to get into the swing of it, and a little work to make sure you get enough protein and other minerals etc.  I take B12 supplements because that is one thing vegetarians are usually low on.

My Lupus is kinda lumped in with MCTD (multiple connective tissue disease) so I won the auto immune lottery. Systemic lupus, scleroderma, and polymyositis.

It is treated much the same as plain jane lupus so I often refer to it as such since it makes it easier than just explaining the whole thing out.

Rest assured I don't physically suffer from all three. They overlap occasionally but my primary symptoms are of the lupus variety right now. Meaning occasionally swollen joints, phantom muscle pains, heavy susceptibility to raynaud's, and hangovers from sun exposure without protective clothing or sunscreen. 

Thanks DH

I had the 15 bean soup. I just tossed the bag with the spice packet in the crockpot. Next time I will add rotel tomatoes after a few hours to liven up the just beans, water, and salt taste.

All in all though not terrible.

I do something this all the time.

I get a generic 15-bean soup combo in the bulk foods area of Whole Foods (or other cheaper store if I see them), and other beans and every now and then I'll make a big crock pot full of some sort of bean soup using water, salt, spices, tomato sauce, and similar type ingredients in whatever combination that seems good at the time. Then I'll freeze them in the twist-top ziploc containers and freeze them. Easy grab-n-go lunches when there aren't leftovers to take for lunch.

As a side note yesterday I weighed 174 after my gorging. This morning I was 168.5 Heres hoping the weight loss is a trend as well as I could use to lose another 20 too.

Who here keeps a mostly meatless diet? How do you prepare your lunches & dinners? How was the switch?

Well, you can't actually lose any significant weight in one day, other than fluid loss.  

I only eat meat once a day, usually at my evening meal.  Then only for the protein.  I eat a very low fat diet and my meats are usually only broiled chicken, tuna or salmon.

Once I got away from the high fat stuff, it was a breeze (for me, anyway).

Well, you can't actually lose any significant weight in one day, other than fluid loss.  

I only eat meat once a day, usually at my evening meal.  Then only for the protein.  I eat a very low fat diet and my meats are usually only broiled chicken, tuna or salmon.

Once I got away from the high fat stuff, it was a breeze (for me, anyway).

Oh, I know it was just water and bowel weight loss. Worked in the yard all day and in florida sun you can't drink enough to sustain your weight.

Weight is a secondary benefit to lowering the chances of an episode with my body.

Reporting back, damn that was good.  Technically it wasn't meatless but you can make it without meat and it would still be good.  

Lentil Jambalaya

1/2 lb ground pork

Mix in 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, dash of allspice, dash of salt

1 onion

2 stalks celery

1 green bell pepper

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with chopped green chiles

3 cups chicken broth (can substitute water or vegetable broth)

1 cup lentils

1/2 cup pearl barley

2-3 Tblsp cajun seasoning (mix your own or buy premixed)

Heat oven to 350 F.  Dice onion, celery and bell pepper,  Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.  When hot add vegetables and 2 Tblsp cajun seasoning.  Saute until soft, about five minutes.  Add minced garlic.  Saute one minute, reduce heat to medium and add pork (if using).  Cook until pork is no longer pink, add can of diced tomatoes including liquid, lentils, barley and broth. Bring to a boil and remove from heat, cover and place in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.

• Heart 1