Look what Ryan made

jsharr

Martha has been wanting a garden.  Putting it in the back yard would be a battle with two dogs, so we decided to put in a small garden on the side of the house.  Martha had seen raised garden kits but I know we could build some better and cheaper than the kit she showed me.

A quick trip to Home Depot for some rough cedar and then Ryan and I got to work.  Cut the 1" x 6" x 8' boards in half.  Cut a 2" x 2" x 8' cedar post into quarters.  A bit of clamping, drilling and screwing later yielded this:

ryanandmemakingthegarden.jpg

Ryan did the majority of the work, I just sort of showed him how.  We both had a blast.

Moved it to the side of the house

ryanandmemakingthegarden2.jpg

Then we put landscape fabric in it, filled it with compost and soil, planted some veggies and herbs (Martha helped with this stage) and then wrapped in in chicken wire to keep the critters out.  That is Ryan stapling on the wire.

ryanandmemakingthegarden3.jpg

It was a blast.  I love teaching my boys new skills and saving some money

Great job! I made ours sorta like that a few years ago, and they are still operation wonderfully. 

What kind of father are you making your kid wear a hardhat and no safety glasses??? I'm going to report you to OSHA! 

There are child labor LAWS for a reason...

• Heart 1

I love teaching my boys new skills and saving some money

Just admit, you like the free slave labor.  Can't wait for Graham to be old enough to actually do work so I don't have to.

• Heart 1

Just admit, you like the free slave labor.  Can't wait for Graham to be old enough to actually do work so I don't have to.

No, I could have slammed that thing together in a few minutes, but I stepped back and let Ryan do the work, just helped him a bit when needed.  He is so into stuff like this, hence the tool belt, hard hat, etc.  He was so proud of what he made.  He showed it to all our friends who came by the house this weekend.  

Nice!  Ryan is also very smart for wearing a hardhat while working with unskilled supervision.

What do you mean unskilled supervision. 

That was the 'labor'. Old and ugly hired help. Ryan was the mastermind who envisioned it.

• Heart 1

KT, this was really easy to make.  If you want to make one, I can send you the details.

Really , the steps are outlined above,  The chicken wire cost almost as much as the lumber.  Have less than $30 in the box.  The compost cost more than the box and wire.  

• Heart 1

KT, this was really easy to make.  If you want to make one, I can send you the details.

Really , the steps are outlined above,  The chicken wire cost almost as much as the lumber.  Have less than $30 in the box.  The compost cost more than the box and wire.  

It's actually not quite what I need. But I may have to get some chicken wire and use it to wrap around some areas to protect Mycroft from getting into them.  So far, I think we're OK, though. I'm holding out to see if he outgrows that puppy curiosity. He should soon be too big to fit in the few areas I'm thinking of anyway.

Thanks, though.

It's actually not quite what I need. But I may have to get some chicken wire and use it to wrap around some areas to protect Mycroft from getting into them.  So far, I think we're OK, though. I'm holding out to see if he outgrows that puppy curiosity. He should soon be too big to fit in the few areas I'm thinking of anyway.

Thanks, though.

If it is garden related, I have been told no not let your dog watch you garden, etc.  Their curiosity gets the better of them and they have to go investigate and dig up what you just buried, etc.

If it is garden related, I have been told no not let your dog watch you garden, etc.  Their curiosity gets the better of them and they have to go investigate and dig up what you just buried, etc.

It's not. The one that immediately comes to mind is a shed that has a little space underneath it and some behind it (between shed and a fence). Right now, they are kind of "Jerry-Rig" blocked off and it's been working, so it'll probably continue to do so until his curiosity wanes.

I will put in my request...I want something like that... v   shaped on wheels (for my deck) with places to plant on either side ....maybe 3.5 feet long...and no more than about 18 or 20 inches wide at the top...You guys could do it...I know you can.

Great job.

Like this?

Outdoor-Wooden-Three-Step-Triangle-Plant

That seems rather wasteful to me.  I would have put the $30 in my pocket instead of burying it in the box.

• Heart 1