The white elephant in the room

Randomguy

They want you to spend $35 on a gift for coworkers?  That is sorta nutty.  We have done the white elephant thing, but it was a ten dollar cap.  

I bought a gal a candle once and she threw a fit.  She said "Someone stayed well under the ten dollars.  How cheap!"  Bitch, you are not my family and I don't even like participating in this stuff. 

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, the Christmas party at work will be a white elephant thing, and we are supposed to spend $35 or so.  I have no idea what to go with, any suggestions?

that seems quite expensive. Regift something.

A potted Christmas mini tree.  Now if a person can't appreciate that....  Have RO decorate it with some fun, crazy decorations.  

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Stars and Stripes Dildo

Trump Teddy Bear

Nice bottle of wine 

None of that would play here.  The Chinese are not big drinkers, but I might get wine if I can't come up with anything else.

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

They want you to spend $35 on a gift for coworkers?  That is sorta nutty.  We have done the white elephant thing, but it was a ten dollar cap.  

I bought a gal a candle once and she threw a fit.  She said "Someone stayed well under the ten dollars.  How cheap!"  Bitch, you are not my family and I don't even like participating in this stuff. 

$35 did seem like an awful lot to me, too, but I guess in years past it was $50.  I would much rather get RO gifts with that kind of money.

19 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

None of that would play here.  The Chinese are not big drinkers, but I might get wine if I can't come up with anything else.

$35 did seem like an awful lot to me, too, but I guess in years past it was $50.  I would much rather get RO gifts with that kind of money.

I would agree...a lot of Chinese ...aren't big drinkers.  

You could always get a wreath..discounted the last minute.  Or a box of elegant cookies or little cakelets, from a bakery. I really mean that.  Gourmet baked desserts ARE appreciated by Chinese world wide and in North America. Remember coming from a culture that is so food based for centuries with a long tradition of incredible regional cuisines across the country, then fine European gourmet baking is appreciated because more people will share amongst some lovely desserts.  Presentation of such desserts would be viewed as "special".

Just to give an idea, I bought 2 artisanal pies --blueberry and raspberry ...for my family. That's over 20 people.  Only 1 pie got eaten during the evening.  I didn't worry, my sister has 2 big adult sons..  So even 1 elegantly presented artisanal pie might do it..  (for cake:  mango, matcha and of course chocolate (just make sure it's not fudgy...., hazelnut, almond, etc.)

• Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Is it forced or voluntary.  I don't think your employer can force anyone to buy Xmas gifts.   

Compulsory, implied at least.  Unless there is a good reason not, to, everybody is in.

12 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Lottery scratch tickets are always fun

Starbucks mug and gift card

Bag of candy and Movie theater gift card

These are excellent ideas, but gift cards are forbidden.  I think I will include candy corn with any gifting.

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I like Shootie's idea about the sweet treats, these people are nuts about sugar.   I could put a regiftable basket together, that could be cool.

I could give you a recipe for easy fudge.  

Are homemade gifts acceptable for this?  Like, could a cookie basket be a thing?

I would go with either a portable power bank (one with built in cords is extra helpful) Here's one on amazon, but you can pick up different ones in most drug stores (usually without cords) for even cheaper.  Lezchi has some nice models on Amazon with built in plug and built in cords.  Anker is a usually reliable brand for power banks.

A nice insulated travel mug or water bottle is also good for almost anyone.  REI has hydroflask on sale for under $30 at the moment.  Zojirushi or Timolino are also very good brands that keep hot/cold for an incredibly long time and you can pick up many models for $25-30 on Amazon.

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, the Christmas party at work will be a white elephant thing, and we are supposed to spend $35 or so.  I have no idea what to go with, any suggestions?

We've got the same thing at the family Christmas party for the adults. I'll probably end up with a $40 version of something where I already own a $100 version.

UPDATED, 11/30, 5:45 pm EST:

In our case, it's not supposed to be a joke gift as some of these gift exchanges are, just a usable unisex gift for around $40. I decided on a set of cool coffee mugs that are like the ones from Two and a Half Men.

This one below is real close to the TV shows mugs and they did use the same brand, "Sedona," on the show  (for $29.99, I paid $31.79 just now with state sales tax). It's not Prime deliverable (1-2 days) but the checkout says I'll get it between Dec. 5 and 10 which gives me lots of wiggle room.  I decided to get it without further thought because the gift game allows later gift getters to pass on an new gift and "steal" the gift someone earlier got and someone is going to really like these mugs.  Additionally, there are various other Sedona dinnerware items that go with this set if someone wants to build around them.

2nd pic is Charlie holding a virtually identical mug found in a separate search. This is a 4 cup set (16 oz. - 14 oz. real max, microwavable and dishwasher safe, comments say handles stays cool but cup gets hot, a couple comments say it chips easily but most don't mention it): https://www.amazon.com/Tabletop-Lifestyles-Sedona-16-Ounce-Mug/dp/B001IARWR0/

1245499018_MugsonAmazon.thumb.JPG.532550e2b45cf08260f0a82e14057373.JPGtwo-and-a-half-men-coffee-mug.png.8ceca5f46501aa1c641b66e9dd8b2ef9.png

Typical comments on the set:

image.png.c2d4acf73a515da1dbfda156992c1457.png

• Heart 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Update:  wild success, and a story the frugal people here will love. 

I went to Best Buy, and found a well-reviewed waterproof Bluetooth speaker that was on deep sale, spent $43 with tax (MSRP $100).  I figured someone would be really happy with it, and that made me feel good.

When it was my turn to pick and open a gift, I got some sort of Echo View 5 thing; someone later ‘stole’ it.  The rules said that I now had an option to either select an unopened gift or steal someone else’s gift, so I stole my Bluetooth speaker.  

While I would really like the speaker, it is going back to Best Buy today for a full refund. 

Yay!

So much fucking win!!!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 11/30/2019 at 11:05 AM, shootingstar said:

Gourmet baked desserts ARE appreciated by Chinese world wide and in North America. Remember coming from a culture that is so food based for centuries with a long tradition of incredible regional cuisines across the country, then fine European gourmet baking is appreciated because more people will share amongst some lovely desserts.  Presentation of such desserts would be viewed as "special".

Great advice.

Didn't know I had that in common with the Chinese.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I went to Best Buy, and found a well-reviewed waterproof Bluetooth speaker that was on deep sale, spent $43 with tax (MSRP $100).  I figured someone would be really happy with it, and that made me feel good.

When it was my turn to pick and open a gift, I got some sort of Echo View 5 thing; someone later ‘stole’ it.  The rules said that I now had an option to either select an unopened gift or steal someone else’s gift, so I stole my Bluetooth speaker.  

While I would really like the speaker, it is going back to Best Buy today for a full refund. 

Yay!

Well played my friend, well played. 

• Heart 1

On 11/30/2019 at 10:42 AM, Randomguy said:

We're having one with a $40 limit. Some of these White Elephant things are supposed to be impractical gifts but ours is not. I got a set of four Sedona 16 oz striped coffee mugs (microwavable) that were made famous and constantly used on 2 1/2 Men at Amazon for $29.99. It's good for all sexes and ages. This listing, where I got it, now says "arrives after Christmas" but a Google search may find it elsewhere or it may be in local stores since it's apparently a popular item: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IARWR0/

two-and-a-half-men-coffee-mug.png.ba7c0d94abca71e9f230376c68aa16e3.png1924982496_MugsonAmazon.thumb.JPG.a9c1f171060edb6c03108464cd7c7250.JPG

• Heart 1

On 11/30/2019 at 10:42 AM, Randomguy said:

I think a "personal massager" - available at Walmart - is a winner no matter where you work. Folks are stressed this time of year, and what says "relax and let the stress disappear" like their own personal massage?

image.thumb.png.471bf66f6ea3dc6ef8b6749705a8abe6.png

The Plus One Vibrating Massager brings pleasure to a new level. With two motors and independently vibrating tips, there is a setting for every mood. The rechargeable massager is whisper quiet with super soft silicone, making it discrete and comfortable to use. The massager charges for up to three hours of fun at a time. It comes with a rechargable lithium ion battery and a USB charging cable. It has a solid tone that is highly visible, making it simple to find when you have time to relax. This massager is waterproof as well, offering flexibility in where you use it.

11 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Yay!

Great luck! But I bet you would have kept the personal massager :D

• Haha 1

I laughed out loud at the ending to this story!

We ended up doing one at work and I got a hippo shaped ceramic ornament.  My art history major friend tells me it's William the mascot from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. it made me feel less bad about giving a travel mug that does a medium job of keeping things warm, although the gift I donated was "stolen" so I guess someone liked it.

• Heart 2

I got a small crock pot and stewing sauce packages. 

For awhile I had a Whole Foods gift card, Amazon Echo dot, and Yeti travel mug. But the crock pot is the right size for three people. 

I gave a wooden bingo game set because the box was the right size for hiding a set of ugly ceramic mugs that are truly the department white elephant. Nobody ever wants them, and it’s a creative exercise to hide them. I made a sticker for the box that says “Hostile Takeover Version.” People were like what’s hostile takeover bingo? Then the person who chose it opened the box and found the mugs. 

She said her kids love the bingo game and think the mugs are fun. All win.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1