Scientific rationalism.

Wilbur

The first thing you should know is that nerds love Freeman Dyson.

The second thing you should know is that he's really really old, and out of the game. In effect you are saying a pitcher in his 90s can come out of retirement and play in the World Series.

Which is amusing.

Btw, science has rules, and this isn't playing by the rules. I will leave it to you to figure out which rules are being used here.

That's the easy part.

Actually, you, are the amusing one.  Especially being you are equally, age irrelevant.  You don't know all, you just pretend you do. It is cute.   FWIW, Some people do stay well on their game, even into late stage life, especially in academics, provided they haven't smoked their brains out. 

30 minutes ago, Don Cherry said:

Actually, you, are the amusing one.  Especially being you are equally, age irrelevant.  You don't know all, you just pretend you do. It is cute.   FWIW, Some people do stay well on their game, even into late stage life, especially in academics, provided they haven't smoked their brains out. 

I'm not the one faking it.

You don't get to rewrite science from the outside. You publish, you go through peer review, and then that scientific community decides.

They decided over 20 years ago.

7 minutes ago, late said:

Anthropogenic climate change.

Yes they have.  We, and our activities do have an effect.  I think the entire scientific community and most of humanity agrees with that.  It is the speed and effect that nobody agrees on.  That is where politics jumps in and social science takes over. 

Scientific? As a scientist with a graduate degree from IIT, who has been an industrial chief research chemist, with publications in Journal of the American Chemical Society, etc., I can say this is NOT a scientific discussion. The data is cherry-picked. There's no serious discussion of data indicating bad things already happening like acidification of the oceans, killing of coral reefs, rising of oceans, etc. There's NO data presented to support alleged greener conditions on land. We do know there are serious fears due to the DECREASE in trees, plankton, etc. that convert CO2 to O2 because of deforestation of the Amazon, Indonesia, Africa, etc. Satellite pictures SHOW the world's forests are decreasing, NOT getting greener. The Sahara Desert continues to move south, destroying jungle areas. The Vermont maple sugar season is shorter due to sap drying up faster in the Spring. And yet this aged charlatan claimed "we don't know" if anything bad is happening! GREENER? What a crock!

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, late said:

The first thing you should know is that nerds love Freeman Dyson.

The second thing you should know is that he's really really old, and out of the game. In effect you are saying a pitcher in his 90s can come out of retirement and play in the World Series.

Which is amusing.

Btw, science has rules, and this isn't playing by the rules. I will leave it to you to figure out which rules are being used here.

That's the easy part.

You could also didn't mention that he's a mathematician, astronomer and physicists.  He is not a climatologist.

20 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Scientific? As a scientist with a graduate degree from IIT, who has been an industrial chief research chemist, with publications in Journal of the American Chemical Society, etc., I can say this is NOT a scientific discussion. The data is cherry-picked. There's no serious discussion of data indicating bad things already happening like acidification of the oceans, killing of coral reefs, rising of oceans, etc. There's NO data presented to support alleged greener conditions on land. We do know there are serious fears due to the DECREASE in trees, plankton, etc. that convert CO2 to O2 because of deforestation of the Amazon, Indonesia, Africa, etc. Satellite pictures SHOW the world's forests are decreasing, NOT getting greener. The Sahara Desert continues to move south, destroying jungle areas. The Vermont maple sugar season is shorter due to sap drying up faster in the Spring. And yet this aged charlatan claimed "we don't know" if anything bad is happening! GREENER? What a crock!

HAHAHA.   You crack me up.  

12 minutes ago, late said:

He's right.

Opinion. 

Watch the video.  There is nothing all that radical in it.  Mostly common sense and common knowledge. 

You: Freeman is old and stupid.

Me: Ok, so are you by that measure.

Mick: Freeman is old and stupid.  I am a scientist.

Me: Again, so are you and so is Freemen, but 3 times a scientist. 

Mick goes on to cite deforestation, blah blah which is true but genetic engineering of more efficient trees is a Freeman theory.  We also might insist on mechanical deforestation even though it is a renewable resource. 

Nobody doubts climate change.  It is the effect of human activity I don't know, you don't know, Mick doesn't know and Freeman doesn't know.    Go ask any climatologist how long it takes Co2 to return to ground level.   I don't remember the exact figure but even a radical environmentalist like David Suzuki cites 5-85% returns to ground in between 2 and 200 years.    This is what climatologists are predicting imminent doom with.  It is BS science.   BTW, Many years ago, David Suzuki's daughter did a Greta like death and destruction UN presentation.  She is now in her 40-s with kids, a nice house, cars to drive and oceans to fish.   Nothing she said would happen did.  It isn't even a blip on the radar. 

42 minutes ago, Don Cherry said:

Yes, love to. 

There are a few of them on this list that you can just download. Now you know more about me than you really needed to know.  Have fun, and realize I don't get into the debates on climate change and global warming, but simply researched the potential of rangelands in the Northern Great Plains to sequester carbon. You should also note that our data did not agree with data from some of the other locations, but we could explain the differences, mainly with climate and weather data.

• Heart 1

You guys can laugh all you want.

They tried to do propaganda on the cheap for a long time. They would print up deceptive brochures that looked like you would be signing in support of some vague liberal cause. Those that signed suddenly found they were getting national attention. Something they still do is hire 4th rate scientists that are having trouble getting funding.