So, here we are near the end of a decade.

MoseySusan

I always wonder if we're heading into the decade where the wheels fall off.  I think the '20s could be that decade.

I view the teens as a time where things are just barely holding together. People are prosperous, nearly everyone has jobs, shelter and transportation, yet people seem more anxious and angry than ever.

We'll see.

33 minutes ago, roadsue said:

My takeaway from the 2010’s is that it’s been the decade of awareness.

Probably depends on where you view things from.  A lot of "firm" opinions have become far more cemented.  There is a yin to all your yang, where some folks see "awareness" and others see an attack on the status quo.

• Heart 2

I'd say the 2010's has been the age of division.  Far to much focus on differences and not enough on commonality.

Commonality is what brings people together and causes differences to not matter.  But some how everyone has forgotten that and instead have emphasized the differences and have gone out of their way to shove it down people's throats until they can't take it anymore.  To the point of now every group wanting special treatment and rules, and pushing the minority to be far more important than the majority.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

I always wonder if we're heading into the decade where the wheels fall off.  I think the '20s could be that decade.

I view the teens as a time where things are just barely holding together. People are prosperous, nearly everyone has jobs, shelter and transportation, yet people seem more anxious and angry than ever.

We'll see.

Marginally attached:  Those persons not employed and not counted as unemployed.  IMO the unemployment number promulgated by the government isn't even close.  There are a lot of folks out there not really making enough to support themselves and their families.  The Economic Policy Institute estimates the number of those folks to be above 11% of the population.  That's not a real good sign.  Don't buy into the number of people being counted at the unemployment office as realistic.  We are sitting on a powder keg waiting for just the thing to blow the top off.

• Awesome 1

I'm waiting to see how the 2020 census and the joke of Congressional redistricting goes on. The gerrymandering is beyond ridiculous here. There have been some laws passed in Maryland to limit influence from politicians but I want to be involved before I found out they figured out how to do it anyway.

My district used to be mostly my entire county, but when a Congressman retired from it, it was butchered up so it wouldn't represent a united entity where a political newcomer could arise.

My district now includes part of the north of my county which borders on the south of Baltimore City, swings NE to avoid interfering with Baltimore districts and takes in the Baltimore County (which Baltimore City is not part of) areas east of Baltimore and along the Chesapeake and curves into a area NE of Baltimore.  Then, to avoid another Congressman's district, it leapfrogs over that district and lands NW of Baltimore in an "island" of a mostly rural area.

Our incumbent Congressman is from that east-of-Baltimore area, the biggest part of the gerrymandered district, and the small parts of that comprise my area S of Baltimore and the NE and NW of Baltimore areas are scattered and have different interests so a challenger to the current Congressman would find it difficult to generate large support.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Even though you are correct, good luck getting anyone to show up for your "Roaring 20's Party" in January of 2021.

I can accept conventional wisdom.

12 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

The 20's start with 2020.  So let it be written.  So let it be done.

no

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Some peoples politics are allowed.  You know that.  :) 

You know this place is a nightmare to moderate and keep as many people happy as possible while at the same time, not drive people away.  It's the only thing I hate about the site, and a big enough pain that I am happy to give it over to anyone who wants it.  So far, no one has taken me up on the offer.

• Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

You know this place is a nightmare to moderate and keep as many people happy as possible while at the same time, not drive people away.  It's the only thing I hate about the site, and a big enough pain that I am happy to give it over to anyone who wants it.  So far, no one has taken me up on the offer.

And that's the problem and actually kind of ties into my post in this thread.  You can hardly ever make everyone happy and people can't handle being offended with out throwing a fit anymore.

• Heart 1

Just now, Square Wheels said:

That is because you are a good man and the rest of us know we don't measure up.   Yes, general dialogue forums are a nightmare to moderate for sure.  Even reddit and YouTube have their hands full.  Maybe 2020 will bring an end to the madness that permeates current culture. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

And I am trying to do my best to speak in general terms and not be a political debate.  I get the no politics stance, any more, I try to avoid discussing politics because it's just to difficult to have a rational discussion to even try.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

That is because you are a good man and the rest of us know we don't measure up.   Yes, general dialogue forums are a nightmare to moderate for sure.  Even reddit and YouTube have their hands full.  Maybe 2020 will bring an end to the madness that permeates current culture. 

Based on who's running, I am not so optimistic.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Based on who's running, I am not so optimistic.

You may be right.  

It used to be that discussions in forums, debates and classrooms would lead to having ideas and opinions challenged.  There was no offence taken by that.  Unfortunately, online communications and anonymity lead to more radicalized statements and name calling.  Discussion took the backseat. 

• Heart 2

22 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I have no problem with any decision to end a discussion topic if the participants are becoming belligerent, political or otherwise.  No one topic is worth getting everyone in an uproar over.  People need to stop complaining about the moderation here and move on to the next topic.  

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I have no problem with any decision to end a discussion topic if the participants are becoming belligerent, political or otherwise.  No one topic is worth getting everyone in an uproar over.  People need to stop complaining about the moderation here and move on to the next topic.  

I WILL NOT MOVE ON!!!  I AM GOING TO COMPLAIN TO THE COMPLAINT DEPARTMENT THAT YOU THINK I SHOULD JUST MOVE ON!!!

This is the complaint department, right?

20190201_134848.thumb.jpg.57d6d3ec29eb06153d0786053138d0f9.jpg

Just look at how much they care.

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You do the math Mr. Engineer.  The first year in a calendar is not 0.  Decades start with 1's.

However no one cares so party on.

No, you have to complete a year before you get to year 1.  So it starts at 0.

• Heart 2