So, here we are near the end of a decade.

MoseySusan

January 1st of 2020 will mark the first day of the 2020th year of our Lord, or of this common era, just as January 1st of 0000 marked the first day of the first year of our Lord, or of the common era. The first day belongs to the year just as much as the last day. So, to say that the year, and by extension the decade, does not exist until the last day has passed is to diminish the value of each day preceding. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

No, you are thinking birthdays.  Calendars start with the year 1.  Stop being a moran.

Birthdays are anniversaries.  Years are years.

Same thing as years count up.

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Each year we collectively seem more entitled and easy to offend.    

We have lost the ability to disagree with civility.  Disagreement does not equate to hate.

I blame the internet.

That is my take away.

But we’re not hating. We’re giving each other a special hug in the form of tit for tat. It’s just how we do. I love these guys. Even when they’re clearly wrong, or (more acutely) when they let me be wrong.

9 minutes ago, roadsue said:

But we’re not hating. We’re giving each other a special hug in the form of tit for tat. It’s just how we do. I love these guys. Even when they’re clearly wrong, or (more acutely) when they let me be wrong.

You agree with me.  I am talking about the rabid, foam mouth crap that seems so pervasive on many social media platforms.  Spewing vitriol.  Posting fake stories that they do not take time to research for validity.  If we keep lobbing bombs at each other, we are all going to be blown up or buried in the fallout.

35 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Each year we collectively seem more entitled and easy to offend.    

We have lost the ability to disagree with civility.  Disagreement does not equate to hate.

I blame the internet.

That is my take away.

I disagree with all you assholes and yet love you equally. Not bad for this loser.

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Technically we have 13 months until the next decade.  The first year was not 0.

A decade is 10 years.  A year is a trip around the sun. Take ten trips around the sun - starting on any date - and you have a decade. If folks want decades to start on Jan 1 of 2000, 2010, 2020, 2030, etc, then that's a simple and reasonable choice.

I can't count to high enough to go back to the first time the Earth circled the Sun, but my guess is it wasn't 2000 years ago. 

3 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I think we are entering the decade of the pronoun.  I got an e-mail from someone here at work yesterday that had her pronouns listed in her signature. That's a first for me.

...so will the amateur nouns no longer find a place in conversation ?  This is bad, very bad. :( 

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...so will the amateur nouns no longer find a place in conversation ?  This is bad, very bad. :( 

It's noun escalation I tell you.  Now we have pro nouns.  Soon there will be super nouns.  Eventually there will be colossal nouns and we will shorten that to clouns.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

When you are 20, you are in your 20's.  Except in Kalamazoo, MI.  There, you are still in your teens.  

What............. ever.

The first year of the Gregorian calendar was year 1 AD (not to be confused with the anniversary if the first year which occurred in year 2).  I understand conventional terms that the decade starts with the digit in the 10s spot but there was no year 0AD.

• Whatever 1

Just now, Kzoo said:

When it was adopted not when the counting started.

Time travel?  Surely, someone was marking the years prior to 1582 AD or even 1 AD.  Completely arbitrary is completely arbitrary, so I say we go with decades begin on a 2, and years start on Oct 15th.

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

What............. ever.

The first year of the Gregorian calendar was year 1 AD (not to be confused with the anniversary if the first year which occurred in year 2).  I understand conventional terms that the decade starts with the digit in the 10s spot but there was no year 0AD.

...what is the conversion factor I need to use so I can get this in Mayan calendar ?  I'm into Mayan culture now, and hope to visit Naachtun, but only on an auspicious calendar date.  

The gloom and doom predictions pretty much spell out "OK Boomer"

The boomer and following generations really did set things up to fail.  No thought to the future, whatever makes us happy now, we need more.

The current young generation will be the first to have less than their parents.

and they don't care.

We think it's awful.  They're more concerned about people being decent, the environment, health, the poor.... They're looking to clean up our mess and they're fine with that task

Of course, there's a lot of them that are snowflakes, too

Mayfly-like though the life cycle of a contemporary meme is, there are discrete phases to it. The meme emerges from some dim, untraceable nativity; to this day, for instance, no one can account for the origins of “OK Boomer.”

That from an article in the Atlantic stating that the meme is already past it's prime and is continuing only on the lips of a dissatisfied but vocal minority.